Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; 5p coins?

On 02/11/2015 11:07, Tim+ wrote:
polygonum wrote:
On 01/11/2015 17:38, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 03:56:29 -0700, Jonathan wrote:

There are an awful lot of forged pound coins out there.

Yes, and it's largely the government's fault for approving so many design
variations for a single coin. There's some sort of chart somewhere online
- probably the Treasury website - where you can check your suspect coins
against a lengthy table of design variations to see if all the features
correspond to their stated issue year and whatnot. But who can be arsed
to do that?

Just how many variations of, say, the old penny existed and were in
circulation by the time of their demise? Numerous designs, monarchs
alloys and, of course, dates.

Lots I'm sure. But I suspect that the old penny every had a face value that
would have made forgery economic.

The profit margins in forging a pound coin is clearly significant enough to
make it worthwhile.

Tim

I just took the easiest example. Consider the same for shillings,
florins, half crowns, crowns, etc. All were available in numerous
different designs for many years. And, at least at time of release, some
of them would have been worth more than a current day pound.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 31 October 2015 10:57:12 UTC, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Monday, 26 October 2015 14:33:30 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 26 October 2015 12:20:36 UTC, michael adams wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
.uk...

Like everyone else, if I find a fake I always send it to the Bank of England for it to
be destroyed. It's only a pound and it's my duty...

Along with reporting whoever gave you the coin to the police
naturally.

In the good old days one punishment for counterfeiting was
being boiled in oil. That's how to get the message home.

Nowadays they'd be unlucky if they got more than a few weeks
community service. Suspended of course.

I'm sure I've seen this Q asked.

Why is community service regarded as punishment in this modern world.

anyway you couldn't afford to boil someone in oil for forging a one pound coin
wouldn't make sense.

What if they grew fat on illegal activities.

They'd get lipo suction or a gastric band fitted via the NHS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 October 2015 08:39:18 UTC, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Which is precisely why I mentioned it. In another place somebody suggested
a lot of Pound coins are in fact fake, but as there are no so many they
still allow them and remove them at the bank end. Is this really true or
another urban myth?

I gather it took the Bank of England several decades to replace the fiver after they realised the Germans forged them nearly perfectly.

On Saturday, 24 October 2015 09:26:00 UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I guess the answer then is to buy a fairly cheap medium current bridge
rectifier from somewhere shove it in a little box and then measure the
output voltage and re-bulb the lights accordingly.

I don't know how that would have affected things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff
I'm also sure some pound coins are heavier than others.

Those are probably the forgeries. You're probably more sensitive to coin
weight than the rest of us. The only one I've knowingly had was made of
plated lead.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/15 22:58, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 25 October 2015 08:39:18 UTC, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Which is precisely why I mentioned it. In another place somebody
suggested a lot of Pound coins are in fact fake, but as there are
no so many they still allow them and remove them at the bank end.
Is this really true or another urban myth?

I gather it took the Bank of England several decades to replace the
fiver after they realised the Germans forged them nearly perfectly.

That thing that was printed in black and white on one side of the paper
only? Someone in the BoE should have been slapped for even proposing
that design!