DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   External Hard Drive Power Supply (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/386125-external-hard-drive-power-supply.html)

Steve Walker[_11_] October 16th 15 11:20 PM

External Hard Drive Power Supply

Hi -

Tenuously on-topic, but hopefully someone can help.

I use an external 5v/12v power supply to temporarily run hard drives
during repair and tinkering. The Chinese rubbish they sell on eBay (eg
141793905523) has the quality & durability of a Kinder Egg toy. I've
had about 5 of them now, they always fail.

I would happily pay £20 for a good quality version from a reliable
manufacturer. Does anyone happen to know where something like this is
available?

Thanks
Steve

Nick Odell[_2_] October 16th 15 11:36 PM

External Hard Drive Power Supply

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 23:20:08 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

Hi -

Tenuously on-topic, but hopefully someone can help.

I use an external 5v/12v power supply to temporarily run hard drives
during repair and tinkering. The Chinese rubbish they sell on eBay (eg
141793905523) has the quality & durability of a Kinder Egg toy. I've
had about 5 of them now, they always fail.

I would happily pay 20 for a good quality version from a reliable
manufacturer. Does anyone happen to know where something like this is
available?

I just use one of these (ebay no. 151798079800) or rather, the same
thing pulled out of an old PC before I threw it away.

Nick

Mark October 16th 15 11:59 PM

Steve Walker wrote:

Hi -

Tenuously on-topic, but hopefully someone can help.

I use an external 5v/12v power supply to temporarily run hard drives
during repair and tinkering. The Chinese rubbish they sell on eBay (eg
141793905523) has the quality & durability of a Kinder Egg toy. I've
had about 5 of them now, they always fail.

I would happily pay £20 for a good quality version from a reliable
manufacturer. Does anyone happen to know where something like this is
available?

Thanks
Steve

Convert ATX PSU to Bench Supply
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...-psu-to-bench-
supply.html

Dave Plowman (News) October 17th 15 12:36 AM

External Hard Drive Power Supply

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Hi -

Tenuously on-topic, but hopefully someone can help.

I use an external 5v/12v power supply to temporarily run hard drives
during repair and tinkering. The Chinese rubbish they sell on eBay (eg
141793905523) has the quality & durability of a Kinder Egg toy. I've
had about 5 of them now, they always fail.

I would happily pay 20 for a good quality version from a reliable
manufacturer. Does anyone happen to know where something like this is
available?

An ATX power supply? Small one won't cost much more than 20 quid. Get one
from CPC - they sell decent quality.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Rod Speed October 17th 15 01:10 AM

External Hard Drive Power Supply

Steve Walker wrote

Tenuously on-topic, but hopefully someone can help.

I use an external 5v/12v power supply to temporarily run hard drives
during repair and tinkering. The Chinese rubbish they sell on eBay (eg
141793905523) has the quality & durability of a Kinder Egg toy. I've had
about 5 of them now, they always fail.

I've had a couple fail, and a couple more that haven't in years.

I would happily pay £20 for a good quality version from a reliable
manufacturer. Does anyone happen to know where something like this is
available?

Fraid not. Tho the better brands from the US etc are more likely to survive.

Clive George October 17th 15 01:20 AM

On 16/10/2015 23:20, Steve Walker wrote:

I use an external 5v/12v power supply to temporarily run hard drives
during repair and tinkering. The Chinese rubbish they sell on eBay (eg
141793905523) has the quality & durability of a Kinder Egg toy. I've
had about 5 of them now, they always fail.

I would happily pay £20 for a good quality version from a reliable
manufacturer. Does anyone happen to know where something like this is
available?

Possibly unhelpful answer, but I use a PSU from an old computer for
this. Obviously one has to be comfortable with wires around the place.

Steve Walker[_11_] October 17th 15 01:28 AM

External Hard Drive Power Supply

On 16/10/2015 23:20, Steve Walker wrote:

I would happily pay £20 for a good quality version from a reliable
manufacturer. Does anyone happen to know where something like this is
available?

Heh, so everyone's suggesting hotwiring an old PSU. Funnily enough I
had one of those, but I binned it because it was too
big/noisy/tangle-of-cabley for easy portable use. Should've kept it and
modified it, perhaps. De-soldered the un-needed connectors, done the 7v
trick on the fan, could've been okay.

That'll learn me... :-)

Dave Plowman (News) October 17th 15 10:42 AM

Clive George wrote:
Possibly unhelpful answer, but I use a PSU from an old computer for
this. Obviously one has to be comfortable with wires around the place.

Open it up and clip off the ones you don't need.

You will need to add a link to power it up, though.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

polygonum October 17th 15 11:30 AM

On 17/10/2015 01:28, Steve Walker wrote:
On 16/10/2015 23:20, Steve Walker wrote:

I would happily pay £20 for a good quality version from a reliable
manufacturer. Does anyone happen to know where something like this is
available?

Heh, so everyone's suggesting hotwiring an old PSU. Funnily enough I
had one of those, but I binned it because it was too
big/noisy/tangle-of-cabley for easy portable use. Should've kept it and
modified it, perhaps. De-soldered the un-needed connectors, done the 7v
trick on the fan, could've been okay.

That'll learn me... :-)

Depending on what you are doing and what other PCs you use, how heavily
loaded, etc., you could take a lead from an existing, working PC just
for power.

--
Rod

Rod Speed October 17th 15 05:29 PM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:
Possibly unhelpful answer, but I use a PSU from an old computer for
this. Obviously one has to be comfortable with wires around the place.

Open it up and clip off the ones you don't need.

You will need to add a link to power it up, though.

Not with an AT supply rather than ATX.