DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   External Hard Drive Power Supply (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/386125-external-hard-drive-power-supply.html)

Scott M October 17th 15 06:06 PM

External Hard Drive Power Supply

Rod Speed wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:
Possibly unhelpful answer, but I use a PSU from an old computer for
this. Obviously one has to be comfortable with wires around the place.

Open it up and clip off the ones you don't need.

You will need to add a link to power it up, though.

Not with an AT supply rather than ATX.

Yes, because everyone has rescued the old AT power supplies from their
386s and kept them for 20 years.

Is it time for your medication?

--
Scott

Rod Speed October 17th 15 06:56 PM

Clive George wrote:
Possibly unhelpful answer, but I use a PSU from an old computer for
this. Obviously one has to be comfortable with wires around the place.

Open it up and clip off the ones you don't need.

You will need to add a link to power it up, though.

Not with an AT supply rather than ATX.

Yes, because everyone has rescued the old AT power supplies from their
386s and kept them for 20 years.

Donít need to, plenty on freecycle etc.

Andrew Gabriel October 17th 15 09:25 PM

External Hard Drive Power Supply

Clive George wrote:
Possibly unhelpful answer, but I use a PSU from an old computer for
this. Obviously one has to be comfortable with wires around the place.

Open it up and clip off the ones you don't need.

You will need to add a link to power it up, though.

Not with an AT supply rather than ATX.

Yes, because everyone has rescued the old AT power supplies from their
386s and kept them for 20 years.

The design of most AT PSU's resulted in lack of regulation of the
12V supply unless there was a reasonable power draw on the 5V rail
too, much more than disks will draw. This was sometimes bad enough
to cause problems with the disks. The usual way around this was to
leave the old motherboard connected to the supply too, when reusing
an old AT system as a disk enclosure. Not efficient, but then AT
PSU's weren't as efficient as any modern PC PSUs anyway.

Much better would be to buy an external disk enclosure. Single ones
will usually have a 12V (or higher) wall wart, and a tiny switched
mode PSU in the enclosure to generate 12V and 5V for the disk.

--
Andrew Gabriel

newshound October 17th 15 09:41 PM

External Hard Drive Power Supply

On 17/10/2015 21:25, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Clive George wrote:
[...]

+1.

That said my cheap Chinese USB to IDE/SATA has never given me problems
either.

Clive George October 17th 15 11:21 PM

On 17/10/2015 18:06, Scott M wrote:

Yes, because everyone has rescued the old AT power supplies from their
386s and kept them for 20 years.

I think my loose PSU is AT :-)

[email protected] October 18th 15 12:55 AM

External Hard Drive Power Supply

On Saturday, 17 October 2015 21:27:28 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Scott M writes:

Yes, because everyone has rescued the old AT power supplies from their
386s and kept them for 20 years.

The design of most AT PSU's resulted in lack of regulation of the
12V supply unless there was a reasonable power draw on the 5V rail
too, much more than disks will draw. This was sometimes bad enough
to cause problems with the disks. The usual way around this was to
leave the old motherboard connected to the supply too, when reusing
an old AT system as a disk enclosure. Not efficient, but then AT
PSU's weren't as efficient as any modern PC PSUs anyway.

Much better would be to buy an external disk enclosure. Single ones
will usually have a 12V (or higher) wall wart, and a tiny switched
mode PSU in the enclosure to generate 12V and 5V for the disk.

which brings us back full circle to the problem the OP is trying to get away from.

It's the same old isn't it, wanting a good reliable psu but wanting to pay chinese prices. Maybe look at chucked out wallwarts to find good brand 12v & 5v ones.

NT

Steve Walker[_11_] October 18th 15 05:12 PM

On 18/10/2015 00:55, wrote:

which brings us back full circle to the problem the OP is trying to get away from.

It's the same old isn't it, wanting a good reliable psu but wanting to pay chinese prices. Maybe look at chucked out wallwarts to find good brand 12v & 5v ones.

No, really - I want to pay EU/US prices for a decent bit of kit.
Something as solid as a laptop psu, instead of a flimsy unbranded horror
off eBay.

Hacking two wallwarts together or converting another PSU will do the job
for reliability, but it's not exactly tidy or portable.

Scott M October 18th 15 09:48 PM

Clive George wrote:
On 17/10/2015 18:06, Scott M wrote:

Yes, because everyone has rescued the old AT power supplies from their
386s and kept them for 20 years.

I think my loose PSU is AT :-)

Ha! I kept a couple for years and years and eventually binned it as it
was taking up space and I'd never used it for anything.

I don't think mine even powered up the fan if there wasn't a decent load
either.

--
Scott