Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fujisu air conditioner fan motor

I've recovered an indoor part of an air conditioner with the wish to
turn it into a fan coil unit to heat a workshop. I have about 2 tonne
of 80C water to dissipate from a wood burner.

Manual at

http://nagyker.columbus-klima.hu/wri...BAB_24LUAR.pdf
and specifically page 12.

As this is an inverter model I was half expecting the motor to be
three phase but it now looks like it is a single phase ( 50Hz 42W 220V
on motor) with a remote start capacitor, and 3 sets of windings.

The three speeds look strange 540, 480 & 390 rpm.

Also apart from blue, purple, red, white and black wires to the motor
there are a second set of thinner black red and white wires pass to
the back of the motor.

I'm looking for insights as to whether I can run the fan without the
control board, on any one of the speeds, any ideas?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If the capacitor is a start cap (usually low power motor just has a run
capacitor), the the extra wires might be some sort of sensor to switch
the start capacitor out?

Speed of induction motor on 50hz =(6000/no of poles) - slip
Slip can get quite significant as the no of poles rise and the load will
change with fan speed too.

You might have 10, 12 and 14 poles based on those speeds?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes

http://nagyker.columbus-klima.hu/wri...SM_AUY18LBAB_2
4LUAR.pdf
and specifically page 12.

As this is an inverter model I was half expecting the motor to be
three phase but it now looks like it is a single phase ( 50Hz 42W 220V
on motor) with a remote start capacitor, and 3 sets of windings.

The three speeds look strange 540, 480 & 390 rpm.

Also apart from blue, purple, red, white and black wires to the motor
there are a second set of thinner black red and white wires pass to
the back of the motor.

I'm looking for insights as to whether I can run the fan without the
control board, on any one of the speeds, any ideas?

AJH

If the capacitor is a start cap (usually low power motor just has a run
capacitor), the the extra wires might be some sort of sensor to switch
the start capacitor out?

Or possibly thermistor overload protection? Don't know current types but
35 years ago:-) they had a cool resistance of around 1Kohm each. Unusual
on single phase motors.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 21:17:47 UTC+1, wrote:

As this is an inverter model I was half expecting the motor to be
three phase but it now looks like it is a single phase ( 50Hz 42W 220V
on motor) with a remote start capacitor, and 3 sets of windings.

The three speeds look strange 540, 480 & 390 rpm.

Also apart from blue, purple, red, white and black wires to the motor
there are a second set of thinner black red and white wires pass to
the back of the motor.

I'm looking for insights as to whether I can run the fan without the
control board, on any one of the speeds, any ideas?

Can you open it to see what's going on?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You could conduct a few experiments with the motor if you have an ammeter.
ie Test out wires for continuity & make some random connections & see what happens keeping a check on the current, (ie it doesn't exceed stated max.)
Problem is, at least two windings are need to start the motor.
Sometimes one is disconnected after startup, sometimes not.
Probably not in this case.
The capacitor is a clue, it provides phase shift,(single phase motors are not self starting) so the winding connected in series with this will be the "start winding" and will be used regardless of speed setting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 09:55:56 +0100, Bob Minchin

[...]

As it's 42W my guess is it is a run capacitor but looking at the
wiring the colours match the AUY24LUAR circuit which seems to have
white as a common and then red purple and blue being switched speeds.
The black is in series with the capacitor which is connected to the
white so that would be the out of phase winding to kick it in the
right direction.

The thing is why have an inverter model without taking advantage of
synthesising 3 phases for a true rotating field?

When I get back to it I'll connect neutral to the white and live to
the red and see if that works.

Speed of induction motor on 50hz =(6000/no of poles) - slip
Slip can get quite significant as the no of poles rise and the load will
change with fan speed too.

You might have 10, 12 and 14 poles based on those speeds?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to have that many poles does it?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 October 2015 21:42:34 UTC+1, wrote:

The thing is why have an inverter model without taking advantage of
synthesising 3 phases for a true rotating field?

cheaper