Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AAA battery storage

Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you talking holders for using them as in battery pack or just a box?
If just a box many people seem to just line a convenient old container
with foam and us that.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I would
prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one that also
holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 15:09, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Are you talking holders for using them as in battery pack or just a box?
If just a box many people seem to just line a convenient old container
with foam and us that.
Brian

Just a box. I would prefer something like the 'usual' AA boxes as they
help me to organise the batteries.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/10/2015 17:45, F wrote:
On 08/10/2015 15:09, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Are you talking holders for using them as in battery pack or just a box?
If just a box many people seem to just line a convenient old container
with foam and us that.
Brian

Just a box. I would prefer something like the 'usual' AA boxes as they
help me to organise the batteries.

I use the plastic `boxes` that business cards come in, ideal for
creating a storage system for small items.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I would
prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one that also
holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 18:05, ARW wrote:

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

When I buy my aaa batteries they come in BOXES of 10.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 18:05, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK5pcs-New...item3cf6f5dda1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

Yes. But I away the ones which came with some batteries years ago. I
find elastic bands are just as good at keeping together "sets" of
rechargeable batteries: they take up less room that way; and the bands
are delivered free with the post

OTOH I have learnt the hard way to put insulation over the terminals of
the PP9s - or rather the hot and squishy meltdown way.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I would
prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one that also
holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

ebay, aliexpress and amazon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 18:05:19 +0100, ARW wrote:

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/mwb...ase/dp/BT04447

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 21:32:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

ARW wrote:
Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

Yes. But I away the ones which came with some batteries years ago. I
find elastic bands are just as good at keeping together "sets" of
rechargeable batteries: they take up less room that way; and the bands
are delivered free with the post

OTOH I have learnt the hard way to put insulation over the terminals of
the PP9s - or rather the hot and squishy meltdown way.

You can afford PP9s? Haven't bought one for many years!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 14:02:08 +0100, F wrote:

Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

7Dayshop do boxen, their own brand and Eneloop.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one that
also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

Yep. Don’t cost much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
OTOH I have learnt the hard way to put insulation over the terminals
of the PP9s - or rather the hot and squishy meltdown way.

You can afford PP9s? Haven't bought one for many years!

Ahem, make that recharegable PP3s as used for battery backup in the
mains smoke alarms.

I blame the fingers - but it was bloody hard typing that as they kept
wanting to tell their side of the story.

That said, I did buy a PP9 2 years ago for a neighbour's old bell. I
don't recall it seeming that expensive.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 18:05, ARW wrote:

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

When I buy my aaa batteries they come in BOXES of 10.

Mine come in BOXES of 50.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 18:05, ARW wrote:

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

When I buy my aaa batteries they come in BOXES of 10.

Mine come in BOXES of 50.

LMFAO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 23:21:51 +0100, Robin wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
OTOH I have learnt the hard way to put insulation over the terminals
of the PP9s - or rather the hot and squishy meltdown way.

You can afford PP9s? Haven't bought one for many years!

Ahem, make that recharegable PP3s as used for battery backup in the
mains smoke alarms.

I blame the fingers - but it was bloody hard typing that as they kept
wanting to tell their side of the story.

That said, I did buy a PP9 2 years ago for a neighbour's old bell. I
don't recall it seeming that expensive.

Not quite as bad as I remembered. But for many, many years I had a
transistor radio that used two of them....

One of these (although mine had been recovered in canvas and I rescued it
from a bin):

http://vintage-radios-london.co.uk/V...DECCA%20-TP85-
PORTABLE-TRANSISTOR-RADIO
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

You can afford PP9s? Haven't bought one for many years!

Ahem, make that recharegable PP3s as used for battery backup in the
mains smoke alarms.

That said, I did buy a PP9 2 years ago for a neighbour's old bell. I
don't recall it seeming that expensive.

Batteries aren't what they used to be. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantern_battery

Curly spring terminals, binding posts, none of your little press
studs.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes

Batteries aren't what they used to be. ;-)

Absolutely. I still use a torch that takes a 6v lantern battery, with
two screw terminals on top (4R25).
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 23:25:24 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 18:05, ARW wrote:

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

When I buy my aaa batteries they come in BOXES of 10.

Mine come in BOXES of 50.

I could buy these but we don;t normally get through this many and they aren;t that cheap either.

AAA 500 for £204 ~40p
http://www.rapidonline.com/Facilitie...of-500-18-4250

AA 500 for £132 ~26p
http://www.rapidonline.com/Facilitie...of-500-18-4255

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
alan_m wrote
ARW wrote

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

When I buy my aaa batteries they come in BOXES of 10.

Mine come in BOXES of 50.

I could buy these but we don;t normally get through this many

It takes me years, but they last fine.

and they aren;t that cheap either.

Mine were, for 50/

AAA 500 for £204 ~40p
http://www.rapidonline.com/Facilitie...of-500-18-4250

AA 500 for £132 ~26p
http://www.rapidonline.com/Facilitie...of-500-18-4255

I was talking about 50, not 500.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 20:50, newshound wrote:
On 08/10/2015 18:05, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK5pcs-New...item3cf6f5dda1

That's the kind of box I'm looking for, but AAA specific.

To be used to carry spare batteries when I'm away from home.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 22:47, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 14:02:08 +0100, F wrote:

Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

7Dayshop do boxen, their own brand and Eneloop.

One of my first stops, but I couldn't find AAA specific boxes and I
don't want AAAs rattling around in an AA box when I'm out with a camera.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 12:43:57 +0100, F wrote:

On 08/10/2015 22:47, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 14:02:08 +0100, F wrote:

Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

7Dayshop do boxen, their own brand and Eneloop.

One of my first stops, but I couldn't find AAA specific boxes and I
don't want AAAs rattling around in an AA box when I'm out with a camera.

The Eneloop ones take AAs parallel with the long axis and AAAs across that
axis so that they fit properly. A bit oversize, as in AAA configuration
there's room for 5 cells.
Given that AAs are more common and the small demand for AAA boxes, I'd guess
that the dual-purpose ones are the best bet.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/10/2015 18:05, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK5pcs-New...item3cf6f5dda1

That's the kind of box I'm looking for, but AAA specific.

To be used to carry spare batteries when I'm away from home.

I assume for use whilst out walking (camera/torch replacements etc) or just
for spares to keep in the car?

Just checked my van door pocket. 12 batteries in there! All AA and AAA. Just
thrown there.

Guess what I need to buy:-)?

AAA specific is not a problem for me as I drive a Vauxhall and the usual
rattles of the doors, ladders on the roof etc will be louder than the
batteries in the box.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 18:05, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK5pcs-New...item3cf6f5dda1

That's the kind of box I'm looking for, but AAA specific.

To be used to carry spare batteries when I'm away from home.

I assume for use whilst out walking (camera/torch replacements etc) or
just for spares to keep in the car?

Out with the camera, spares when we're away (searching through a
suitcase isn't how I want to spend my time) and keeping them together at
home rather than having them rolling around the counter next to the
charger (a Management requirement!).

Just checked my van door pocket. 12 batteries in there! All AA and AAA.
Just thrown there.

Guess what I need to buy:-)?

Can't think...

AAA specific is not a problem for me as I drive a Vauxhall and the usual
rattles of the doors, ladders on the roof etc will be louder than the
batteries in the box.

You need a pair of ear defenders then. Cheaper than a new van.

Oh, and the Vulcan is being advertised 'with further flights planned
*through October*'. I'll be at Menwith Hill for tomorrow's northern tour.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 18:05, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got a source for (inexpensive) cases to hold AAA batteries. I
would prefer something specifically designed for AAA rather than one
that also holds AAs and lets the AAAs rattle around.

Are you saying that there are special boxes to store batteries?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK5pcs-New...older-Storage-

Box-for-rechargeable-AA-AAA-Battery-/261841345953?hash=item3cf6f5dda1

That's the kind of box I'm looking for, but AAA specific.

To be used to carry spare batteries when I'm away from home.

That link saves me having to describe the 6 and 4 cell holders that came
with a few sets of AA NiCads I bought at the Norbreck Castle radioham
rally over a decade ago. I rather thought this was just what you were
after (only in AAA size - which I've never come across other than as the
AAA storage option in those very same boxes - 4 x AAA capacity in the 4x
AA cell storage box and 8x AAA in the 6x AA cell storage box).

They're very useful for keeping camera rechargeable cells organised if
you take the trouble to number the cell pockets using indelible marker on
the inside of the translucent plastic storage box. I'm guessing you after
some means of keeping track of discharged/charged cells when out and
about.

I used the 4 cell box to store spares for the 3MPxl Nikon CoolPix which
uses them a pair at a time. By picking the freshly charged cells from
locations 1 & 2 and then moving cells 3 & 4 into the vacated 1&2 slots, I
could park the used cells in their place. Basically, I was rotating the
cells a pair at a time in the storage container with each battery change.

Ten years ago when flash memory cards (SD) were horrendously expensive,
a set of 3 batteries would typically outlast the card supply for a day's
"shoot". If it ever got to the stage where I was reaching for a fourth
change of battery, the ones that had been used first usually had
recovered enough to provide a few extra shots. after that it was a case
of mix and match to make up a pair with enough charge left for a few more
shots before hunting around for a shop selling AA alkaline cells.

The trick with using AA (and AAA) cells in pairs or quads is to mark
them with an indelible marker to avoid mix ups. I normally place a simple
pattern of marks around the positive pole where they'd be less likely to
be rubbed out by handling. I use the same system with the larger 6 cell
storage box I pack with the later 8MPxl Canon in the cheap ($10 Canadian)
Olympus labelled pocketed fabric camera case which I'd originally
purchased with the Nikon CoolPix in Henrys in Toronto just over a decade
ago.

I've never had any need to keep the 8 AAA rechargables I own quite so
well organised so I can't help you in regard of what you're after other
than explaining why you might be looking for something so specific as an
AAA storage box to the rest of the contributors in this thread. :-)

--
Johnny B Good