Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stainless steel splashback stains

I installed a stainless steel splashback
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-cat...-x-600mm/54418)
around six years ago and it's suddenly started to show what look like
rust marks.

What's the best way to get it back to how it was?

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 08/10/2015 13:55, F wrote:
I installed a stainless steel splashback
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-cat...-x-600mm/54418)
around six years ago and it's suddenly started to show what look like
rust marks.

What's the best way to get it back to how it was?

Tomato ketchup will clean stainless

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You might run a magnet over it.If it attracts, then its the kind that will
go rusty eventually as its an alloy with a ferrous metal of some kind.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Lee" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 13:55, F wrote:
I installed a stainless steel splashback
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-cat...-x-600mm/54418)
around six years ago and it's suddenly started to show what look like
rust marks.

What's the best way to get it back to how it was?

Tomato ketchup will clean stainless

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 15:08, Brian-Gaff wrote:
You might run a magnet over it.If it attracts, then its the kind that will
go rusty eventually as its an alloy with a ferrous metal of some kind.
Brian

All stainless steel contains a high proportion of iron i.e. it is a
ferrous metal. The different grades of stainless steel contain varying
proportions of chromium and nickel to make it corrosin resistant. For
instance yhe grade used for cutlery andgeneral houseware is known as
18/8. It resists corrosion in normal household applications but is not
suitable for use in contact with salt water

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 16:50, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 16:12:54 +0100, Malcolm Race
wrote:

On 08/10/2015 15:08, Brian-Gaff wrote:
You might run a magnet over it.If it attracts, then its the kind that will
go rusty eventually as its an alloy with a ferrous metal of some kind.
Brian

All stainless steel contains a high proportion of iron i.e. it is a
ferrous metal. The different grades of stainless steel contain varying
proportions of chromium and nickel to make it corrosin resistant. For
instance yhe grade used for cutlery andgeneral houseware is known as
18/8. It resists corrosion in normal household applications but is not
suitable for use in contact with salt water

Malcolm

We had a dark room constructed at my former place of work, for
developing electron microscope plates. It had a standard
kitchen-quality stainless steel sink, probably obtained from a local
builders merchant. Within a few weeks it was heavily corroded and
rusty. They had to replace it with one made of a different grade of
SS. I couldn't tell you which grade, but it didn't corrode.

"Cheap" stainless is often slightly magnetic and not as corrosion
resistant as better grades such as 316. Dark-room chemicals are quite
corrosive and it does not suprise me that "cheap" stainless was not up
to the job.

Lightly rusted sinks/splashbacks etc will normally clean up OK with
scotchbrite and/or weak acids. It's the vinegar in tomato ketchup which
does the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 14:34, Lee wrote:
On 08/10/2015 13:55, F wrote:
I installed a stainless steel splashback
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-cat...-x-600mm/54418)

around six years ago and it's suddenly started to show what look like
rust marks.

What's the best way to get it back to how it was?

Tomato ketchup will clean stainless

I'll add ketchup to my grandson's meal next time he's round. His range
improves with each visit!

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
I installed a stainless steel splashback
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-cat...-x-600mm/54418)
around six years ago and it's suddenly started to show what look like rust
marks.

What's the best way to get it back to how it was?

If they really are rust marks, demand a free replacement.

How Come My Brand New Stainless Steel Sink Stains? mg Home Repair 72 February 27th 10 04:10 PM
Stainless splashback Vass UK diy 4 March 22nd 07 04:34 PM
opinions on fixing a stainless steel splashback . UK diy 2 November 11th 05 05:15 PM
How to fix stainless steel splashback? Dave UK diy 3 August 24th 05 12:01 PM
should stainless steel cooker splashback be earthed? [email protected] UK diy 3 March 14th 05 10:59 PM