Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 600W 2-stroke generator

On 09/10/2015 09:08, Stephen wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 19:39:17 +0100, ss wrote:

I have a cheapo that hasnt seen the light of day for over 5 years, would
it be best to empty of everything and store dry?

What is the best and safest way to dispose of the old petrol?

Give it to me. I'll run my Land Rover on it:-)

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 08:54:36 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 09:44:15 +0100, T i m wrote:

What is the best and safest way to dispose of the old petrol?

As long as it's clean I can't see any reason why you wouldn't use it in
a petrol car, especially an older one with no fancy cat or electronics.
I'd happily use it in the kit car on top of a (at least)
half full tank. ;-)

Given that we're talking mostly about two-smokes, it can be taken as read
that it isn't "clean".

Ok ... and I was mostly talking about 'free of debris' (like rust). I
accepted that some vehicles (especially modern ones with cats etc)
might not appreciate 2/ oil in the fuel to any level.

I did once tip about three or four litres of
slightly over-oily and long-since premixed two-smoke into the near-full
25l tank of one of the 2cvs.

Ok.

Never again. It pinked like an absolute
bugger.

I've done similar with about the same quantity of 50:1 in the (Mk2
Escort based) kitcar and didn't notice any difference shrug.

Would a shot or two of Redex have the same effect on your 2CV's do you
think?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 October 2015 09:01:42 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 00:25:34 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Or "Bradex Easy Start".

Thanks. I have found this on the Halfords web site. Some google
results refer to it as Holts easy start but the photos are identical,
so either Bradex owns Holts or vice versa.

They all contain ether to help starting.
If you have a propane blowlamp, you can direct gas down the air intake to help starting.

I hadn't thought of that. That's a good idea and would save me a trip
to Halfords.

Yes fresh petrol is best. There are volatiles in it to help starting that disappear if it is stored.

Like Chris said, I have heard this but how does it evaporate from a
metal tank? Is it that the seal is not very good?

The petrol tank has a vent. In the Summer heat it lets the volatiles out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 October 2015 09:08:29 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 19:39:17 +0100, ss wrote:

I have a cheapo that hasnt seen the light of day for over 5 years, would
it be best to empty of everything and store dry?

What is the best and safest way to dispose of the old petrol?

Part fill the tank with new petrol & when the engine' s hot, put the old fuel into the tank in small amounts.
Petrol is best stored in a sealed container & then put in machine when needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:55:15 +0100, T i m wrote:

I did once tip about three or four litres of slightly over-oily and
long-since premixed two-smoke into the near-full 25l tank of one of the
2cvs.

Ok.

Never again. It pinked like an absolute bugger.

I've done similar with about the same quantity of 50:1 in the (Mk2
Escort based) kitcar and didn't notice any difference shrug.

Would a shot or two of Redex have the same effect on your 2CV's do you
think?

A shot or two? No. A similar proportion? Probably...

Most 2cvs are fairly borderline on 95RON, tbf - a car that'll run fine on
UK 95 tends to pink and run-on badly on 95 in France, even though the
fuel should - theoretically... - be exactly the same. Fortunately, the
difference to 98 is smaller over there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 16:17:59 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

[...]

It's funny, I would have thought something I see as simple (probably
naively) as a 2CV (engine) would run on pretty well anything?

A long time ago ... a young lady I knew was offered a new car of her
choice by a rich Arab (she was a 'Bunny' at the time). He asked her
what she would like and the only car she could think of that she had
'liked' was a Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am. Nothing more was said but a
few months later she got a call to say it was waiting for her at some
docks. When she collected it she asked the guy what sort of fuel she
should put in it and they guy said 'it'll burn pretty well anything'.
;-)

I'm guessing there is a big difference between a (lazy?) ~5l and
(highly strung?) ~.5l engine in that regard?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 October 2015 12:43:07 UTC+2, wrote:
On 09/10/2015 09:08, Stephen wrote:

What is the best and safest way to dispose of the old petrol?

Pour it into an old metal dish (baking tray?) and set fire to it in the
garden - a complete non-event provided obvious precautions are taken
... an opportunity for natural selection to come into play ;-)

Having seen the burnt legs of somebody who came bloody close to need a
skin graft after trying to get a barbecue going with petrol - I really
can't recommend it. He did *not* pour the petrol on the BBQ, he some
charcoal lumps in a bucket and poured some petrol on those (some way
from the recalcitrant fire). The trouble was that the fumes flowed out
of the bucket to the fire, ... and then caught fire - all the way
back to the bucket.

Really - don't do it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/15 22:20, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Friday, 9 October 2015 12:43:07 UTC+2, wrote:
On 09/10/2015 09:08, Stephen wrote:

What is the best and safest way to dispose of the old petrol?

Pour it into an old metal dish (baking tray?) and set fire to it in the
garden - a complete non-event provided obvious precautions are taken
... an opportunity for natural selection to come into play ;-)

Having seen the burnt legs of somebody who came bloody close to need a
skin graft after trying to get a barbecue going with petrol - I really
can't recommend it. He did *not* pour the petrol on the BBQ, he some
charcoal lumps in a bucket and poured some petrol on those (some way
from the recalcitrant fire). The trouble was that the fumes flowed out
of the bucket to the fire, ... and then caught fire - all the way
back to the bucket.

Happened to me. SynSkin all over my face for a week

Really - don't do it!

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 22:20, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Friday, 9 October 2015 12:43:07 UTC+2, wrote:
On 09/10/2015 09:08, Stephen wrote:

What is the best and safest way to dispose of the old petrol?

Pour it into an old metal dish (baking tray?) and set fire to it in the
garden - a complete non-event provided obvious precautions are taken
... an opportunity for natural selection to come into play ;-)

Having seen the burnt legs of somebody who came bloody close to need a
skin graft after trying to get a barbecue going with petrol - I really
can't recommend it. He did *not* pour the petrol on the BBQ, he some
charcoal lumps in a bucket and poured some petrol on those (some way
from the recalcitrant fire). The trouble was that the fumes flowed out
of the bucket to the fire, ... and then caught fire - all the way
back to the bucket.

Really - don't do it!

I've burned petrol without any such drama. Pouring it into the (not
empty) ash bucket seems to work pretty well - it burned fairly calmly.
Obviously there's no opportunity for fume flowing in that case, because
any fumes will be burning instantly.

OTOH I didn't try to burn too much at once. If I was trying to shift a
few litres I'd probably try a bit and see how it behaved before trying
incrementally larger volumes. And keep the cap on the stuff I'm not
trying to burn :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 20:39:59 +0100, T i m wrote:

Most 2cvs are fairly borderline on 95RON, tbf - a car that'll run fine
on UK 95 tends to pink and run-on badly on 95 in France, even though the
fuel should - theoretically... - be exactly the same. Fortunately, the
difference to 98 is smaller over there.

It's funny, I would have thought something I see as simple (probably
naively) as a 2CV (engine) would run on pretty well anything?

All down to timing and compression, as any other engine.

Same specific power output as a 120bhp 2.0 - on carbs and points.