Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Animal shelter advice

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally well man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a child's playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

--
Steph
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Steph Wood" wrote in message
I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime
there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who
lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally well
man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for these cats
to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a child's
playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could they not stay with you under your bridge?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you have a camera hidden? How do you know I am vertically challenged? Some maybe offended by your heightism's. We have feelings too, you know.

--
Steph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 21:28:21 UTC+1, Steph wrote:

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally well man.. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a child's playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cost the bits up & see. Cheapest would be pallet wood. Not sure what preservatives are & aren't safe to use though.

Would shelters not just inform the neighbour exactly where to go? Might be better to get a rehoming shelter involved. I'd also bring the RSPCA upto speed if they're not already. They might be able to warn him off repeating the trick.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2015 21:48, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 13:28:16 -0700 (PDT), Steph Wood
wrote:

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally well man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a child's playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Feral cats are unlikely to use whatever you do for them. They are very
independent, wary of human beings, and will have their own hideaways
in a nice dry place in a barn or outbuilding somewhere.

Unless you feed them there regularly, do you want to do that? They will
still wander widely, especially the toms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steph Wood wrote

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed
for sometime there are many feral stray cats roaming around
my area. My neighbour who lives a field away killed a cat
with antifreeze. He is not a mentally well man. With this
in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for these
cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be
cheaper buying a child's playhouse or building my own?

Normally cheaper to build your own than buy one new.

But it can be quite a bit cheaper to buy a used shed etc.

I don't like your chances of many of the feral cats using it.

You don't see too many feral cats congregating
in places like that that they can find.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote
Steph Wood wrote

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime
there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who
lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally
well man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for
these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a
child's playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Could they not stay with you under your bridge?

No way, cats aren't stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Be very careful as if you take ownership of them and they cause a problem
its you they will be shouting at. Does anyone collect these cats and either
rehome the well ones or send them to pussy heaven?

Brian

Email:

"Steph Wood" wrote in message
I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime
there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who
lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally well
man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for these cats
to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a child's
playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

--
Steph

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steph wrote

Do you have a camera hidden?

Nope, its there in full view on your laptop.

How do you know I am vertically challenged?

That stands out like dogs balls.

Some maybe offended by your heightism's.

Their problem.

We have feelings too, you know.

Your problem, runt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 00:39:47 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Steph wrote

Do you have a camera hidden?

Nope, its there in full view on your laptop.

How do you know I am vertically challenged?

That stands out like dogs balls.

Some maybe offended by your heightism's.

Their problem.

We have feelings too, you know.

Your problem, runt.

Dearest Rod,

Do you need a hug? You seem to have some anger issues towards women.

--
Steph

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 22:52:18 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your advice. There are two houses where I live in the countryside, my neighbours and mine. Unfortunately, many people seem to dump their unwanted pets around our area. My neighbour Steve hates cats so I hate the fact if he gets hold of the strays he may kill them. This way it at last they will have somewhere to stay instead of wandering onto his grounds.

--
Steph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 23:37:30 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
ARW wrote
Steph Wood wrote

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime
there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who
lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally
well man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for
these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a
child's playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Could they not stay with you under your bridge?

No way, cats aren't stupid

I Have 5 pussies at the minute, 1 labrador dog, a lizard, a toad and I look after the spiders that enter the house as they kill flies. They all must be stupid

--
Steph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steph" wrote in message
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 00:39:47 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Steph wrote

Do you have a camera hidden?

Nope, its there in full view on your laptop.

How do you know I am vertically challenged?

That stands out like dogs balls.

Some maybe offended by your heightism's.

Their problem.

We have feelings too, you know.

Your problem, runt.

Dearest Rod,

Cheapest Staph

Do you need a hug?

Nope.

You seem to have some anger issues towards women.

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

And you aren't a woman either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steph" wrote in message
[...]

Feral cats won't use it, you watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steph" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 23:37:30 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
ARW wrote
Steph Wood wrote

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for
sometime
there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour
who
lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally
well man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for
these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying
child's playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Could they not stay with you under your bridge?

No way, cats aren't stupid

I Have 5 pussies at the minute, 1 labrador dog, a lizard, a toad

That is just you.

and I look after the spiders that enter the house

That isn't your bridge, stupid.

as they kill flies. They all must be stupid

Nope, just you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes

Feral cats won't use it, you watch.

I think this is a problem of description, always assuming Steph does not
live under a bridge. Steph describes the cats as feral strays, but they
must be one or the other, not both. Feral cats are domestic type cats
(i.e. not true wildcats), but born in the wild with no human contact.
Steph describes the cats in question as being dumped, so they are
strays, not feral, although subsequent generations of dumped cats may be
feral.

Either way, strays and, eventually, most feral cats will respond to
human contact, such as food and shelter. None of which addresses
Steph's original question. My answer would be to attempt to domesticate
the cats first, that is befriend them by supplying food and water, then
worry about shelter. Cats are clever enough to find shelter.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Feral cats won't use it, you watch.

I think this is a problem of description,

I don't.

always assuming Steph does not live under a bridge.

Bet Adam got it right.

Steph describes the cats as feral strays, but
they must be one or the other, not both.

Or its just another pathetic excuse for a troll.

Feral cats are domestic type cats (i.e. not true wildcats),

Yes, that's what feral means.

but born in the wild with no human contact.

Not really with cats.

Steph describes the cats in question as being dumped,
so they are strays, not feral, although subsequent
generations of dumped cats may be feral.

Yep, they normally are in that situation.

Either way, strays and, eventually, most feral cats will
respond to human contact, such as food and shelter.

True feral cats don't.

None of which addresses Steph's original question.

Its very from clear that there was every anything
other than a pathetic excuse for a troll.

My answer would be to attempt to domesticate
the cats first, that is befriend them by supplying
food and water, then worry about shelter. Cats
are clever enough to find shelter.

And both strays and their feral offspring are very
unlikely indeed to choose to inhabit a used dolls
house or something like it made from scratch.

Staph now claims that it has 5 cats. Certainly some
stray cats might well be happy to move in with it,
the dog, lizard and the toad, and its likely the
offspring will be happy with that situation too.

But its very unlikely that any of them will actually be
stupid enough to move in with it under its bridge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 10:00:38 UTC+1, News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes

[...]

Hi Gramme,

Thank You. Yes feral was the wrong word. Excuse my bimboness, my brain is not work due to it being the 5th day smoke free. Back on the subject. I do feed these strays as I feel sorry for them. If I were to take them all in I would be renounced as the wierd cat lady. This was the only option I can think of to give them some shelter.

--
Steph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 10:50:46 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
News wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

It is true, once many many moons ago I used to live under a bridge, mainly the scum-haters when I was younger. I am all grown up now.

--
Steph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 09:21:07 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Steph" wrote in message
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 00:39:47 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Steph wrote

Do you have a camera hidden?

Nope, its there in full view on your laptop.

How do you know I am vertically challenged?

That stands out like dogs balls.

Some maybe offended by your heightism's.

Their problem.

We have feelings too, you know.

Your problem, runt.

Dearest Rod,

Cheapest Staph

Do you need a hug?

Nope.

You seem to have some anger issues towards women.

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

And you aren't a woman either.

Oh Rod. Come here and give me a cuddle, I will remove that pole from your bottom at the same time.

By the way I am all Woman. I can prove it too.

--
Steph

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steph" wrote in message
[...]

You will be if you build them a cubby house too.

Even just feeding them will see that happen.

This was the only option I can think of to give them some shelter.

Bet they don't use it. They likely will be happy to move in with
you tho, particularly if you organise things so they can't get out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steph" wrote in message
[...]

And still do now.

mainly the scum-haters when I was
younger. I am all grown up now.

So now you are just a fart of a troll, eh ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steph" wrote in message
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 00:39:47 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Steph wrote

Do you have a camera hidden?

Nope, its there in full view on your laptop.

How do you know I am vertically challenged?

That stands out like dogs balls.

Some maybe offended by your heightism's.

Their problem.

We have feelings too, you know.

Your problem, runt.

Dearest Rod,

Cheapest Staph

Do you need a hug?

Nope.

You seem to have some anger issues towards women.

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

And you aren't a woman either.

Oh Rod.

Staph.

Come here and give me a cuddle,

No way, those syphilis sores are a bit of a turnoff.

I will remove that pole from your bottom at the same time.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

By the way I am all Woman.

All pathetic excuse for a troll, actually.

I can prove it too.

You've already proved that you are a pathetic excuse for a troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 09:11:32 UTC+1, Steph wrote:
[...]

Right. Well, I'd build them as 4 houses in 1 unit rather than singles. Less than 4x the wood & time for a 4 shelter unit. And I'd scatter the units widely rather than congregate them to minimise territory fights.

Some cats will be familiar with catflaps. Simple flaps on some of the units would be a real help with staying warm in winter, which is a critical issue for cats.

Beware of WBP plywood being sold that isn't WBP, and delaminates rapidly in rain. If you use ply, shuttering ply is probably the grade to go for.

If you build a big shelter near your house it should be possible to get PDSA or RSPCA vet treatment for health problems, treat for fleas to some extent and clean the shelter. I expect not all cats would use it. PDSA would probably neuter when needed too, another core issue.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 09:07:11 UTC+1, Steph wrote:

Dearest Rod,

Do you need a hug? You seem to have some anger issues towards women.

He has a lot more than anger issues. If there's one contributor that belongs in the killfile it's him.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 11:22:26 UTC+1, Steph wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a great option. Go for it.

This was the only option I can think of to give them some shelter.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steph" wrote in message
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 00:39:47 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Steph wrote

Do you have a camera hidden?

Nope, its there in full view on your laptop.

How do you know I am vertically challenged?

That stands out like dogs balls.

Some maybe offended by your heightism's.

Their problem.

We have feelings too, you know.

Your problem, runt.

Dearest Rod,

Cheapest Staph

Do you need a hug?

Nope.

You seem to have some anger issues towards women.

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

And you aren't a woman either.

Oh Rod. Come here and give me a cuddle, I will remove that pole from your bottom at the same time.

By the way I am all Woman. I can prove it too.

You'd need to remove the ones from his brain too.

There is one other option. Set up a charity and raise funds to build a nice big shelter. It's not that hard to do really, and there are folk that wuold help. Upto £5,000 a year income and it doesn't need to be registered, above that it does.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Steph" wrote in message
[...]

TMH is a bloke and he has tits.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

ARW wrote
Steph Wood wrote

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime
there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour who
lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a mentally
well man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a shelter for
these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be cheaper buying a
child's playhouse or building my own? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Could they not stay with you under your bridge?

No way, cats aren't stupid.

My cat IS stupid.

1. It often rolls over and falls off the bed, sofa, chair, windowsill etc.
2. It cannot open a partly opened door.
3. It will only eat cheap Aldi cat food (I am not complaining about that
bit).
4. It is scared of heights (anything higher than 5ft) but still climbs
fences and trees and then cannot get down.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message

"Steph" wrote in message
[...]

If you had a brain you would know who the OP is.
Never mind Adam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/If you had a brain you would know who the OP is.
Never mind Adam. /Q

Is it NT?
(Thought it might be a self referential ego-boost-post after recent drubbings..like voting for yourself at the annual odd-shaped veg show
....)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 19:12:30 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message

Pounder you used to like my selfies they are a little more extreme nowadays to **** of my mother in law. Ok I was sexybitch Aka wobblemetits on the alt.sports.soccer.manchester.united.scum-haters. We used to troll. When I say troll, it was taking the **** not nowadays trolling where it's hurting people to suicide. Are you happy now Mr. Pounder?

--
Steph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steph" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have facebook?

--
Steph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

ARW wrote
Steph Wood wrote

I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have noticed for sometime
there are many feral stray cats roaming around my area. My neighbour
who lives a field away killed a cat with antifreeze. He is not a
mentally well man. With this in mind, I was thinking of building a
shelter for these cats to save them from my neighbour. Would it be
cheaper buying a child's playhouse or building my own? Any advice would
be greatly appreciated.

Could they not stay with you under your bridge?

No way, cats aren't stupid.

My cat IS stupid.

Yeah, seem some very stupid ones on youtube and
Cats Make You Laugh Out Loud

1. It often rolls over and falls off the bed, sofa, chair, windowsill etc.
2. It cannot open a partly opened door.
3. It will only eat cheap Aldi cat food (I am not complaining about that
bit).
4. It is scared of heights (anything higher than 5ft) but still climbs
fences and trees and then cannot get down.

Yeah, that one is pretty stupid. Never had one that stupid myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 20:49:27 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
/If you had a brain you would know who the OP is.
Never mind Adam. /Q

Is it NT?
(Thought it might be a self referential ego-boost-post after recent drubbings..like voting for yourself at the annual odd-shaped veg show
...)

Jim K

that makes no sense at all. As usual