DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   gas fire selection (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/3822-gas-fire-selection.html)

twolefthands November 24th 03 08:12 PM

gas fire selection

We moved in to our det. 1971 built house just over a year ago. It has
an outset gas fire placed on a rough brick/stome fire surround which
from the shape of the pot on the roof (aladdin style top) seems to be
a prefabricated flue.
We want to replace the fire as we believe it is rather elderly and
being outset it intrudes somewhat in to the room.

Enquiries made lead to various opinions about our options. Some say
there will be little or no problem whilst other experts draw in their
teeth with the builder's whistle and say that because of the nature of
the fire surround with irragular surface a proper seal won't be
possible. They then suggest a catalytic gas fire or an elecric (with
higher heating costs but lower (?) initial outlay. Any comments and
advice would be appreiciated please.