Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair Cracks in Cement Rendering

Victorian semi, large south facing wall, smooth rendered and painted.
Has some cracks that need repairing before I repaint it. The cracks
aren't huge, 1-2mm wide, probably full depth of render. Just caused by
natural movement from the heat of the sun, most of the neighbours
walls have the same problem, and surveyor says nothing to be concerned
about. No point in filling with mortar, it will just crack again.

Was thinking of doing the following:

Brush out any loose render, dust etc
Apply some stabilising solution/sealant, or maybe diluted pva?
When dry fill with paintable flexible frame sealant?
Use wet sponge to blend in and slightly stipple the surface
Paint with regular Sandtex or similar.

Does this seem reasonable, or any better suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 August 2015 15:15:38 UTC+1, Davidm wrote:
Victorian semi, large south facing wall, smooth rendered and painted.
Has some cracks that need repairing before I repaint it. The cracks
aren't huge, 1-2mm wide, probably full depth of render. Just caused by
natural movement from the heat of the sun, most of the neighbours
walls have the same problem, and surveyor says nothing to be concerned
about. No point in filling with mortar, it will just crack again.

Was thinking of doing the following:

Brush out any loose render, dust etc
Apply some stabilising solution/sealant, or maybe diluted pva?
When dry fill with paintable flexible frame sealant?
Use wet sponge to blend in and slightly stipple the surface
Paint with regular Sandtex or similar.

Does this seem reasonable, or any better suggestions?

You could fill with pretty much anything.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 00:12:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/08/15 22:51, nt wrote:
On Monday, 24 August 2015 15:15:38 UTC+1, Davidm wrote:
Victorian semi, large south facing wall, smooth rendered and painted.
Has some cracks that need repairing before I repaint it. The cracks
aren't huge, 1-2mm wide, probably full depth of render. Just caused by
natural movement from the heat of the sun, most of the neighbours
walls have the same problem, and surveyor says nothing to be concerned
about. No point in filling with mortar, it will just crack again.

Was thinking of doing the following:

Brush out any loose render, dust etc
Apply some stabilising solution/sealant, or maybe diluted pva?
When dry fill with paintable flexible frame sealant?
Use wet sponge to blend in and slightly stipple the surface
Paint with regular Sandtex or similar.

Does this seem reasonable, or any better suggestions?

You could fill with pretty much anything.

decorators caulk. Its waterproof enough if painted.

I wouldn't, but you could

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you tapped it to see if its blown, ie hollow sounding and hence no
longer attached to the underlying wall.
It might not be what you want to hear, but I had to have several feet of
this removed and re rendered as nothing was holding it on in some places.
One supposes it was water getting behind it and freezing etc.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Davidm" wrote in message
Victorian semi, large south facing wall, smooth rendered and painted.
Has some cracks that need repairing before I repaint it. The cracks
aren't huge, 1-2mm wide, probably full depth of render. Just caused by
natural movement from the heat of the sun, most of the neighbours
walls have the same problem, and surveyor says nothing to be concerned
about. No point in filling with mortar, it will just crack again.

Was thinking of doing the following:

Brush out any loose render, dust etc
Apply some stabilising solution/sealant, or maybe diluted pva?
When dry fill with paintable flexible frame sealant?
Use wet sponge to blend in and slightly stipple the surface
Paint with regular Sandtex or similar.

Does this seem reasonable, or any better suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 09:33:37 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

Have you tapped it to see if its blown, ie hollow sounding and hence no
longer attached to the underlying wall.
It might not be what you want to hear, but I had to have several feet of
this removed and re rendered as nothing was holding it on in some places.
One supposes it was water getting behind it and freezing etc.
Brian

It's not blown - yet, which is why I want to repair it now before the
water gets in and freezes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Have you tapped it to see if its blown, ie hollow sounding and hence no
longer attached to the underlying wall.
It might not be what you want to hear, but I had to have several feet of
this removed and re rendered as nothing was holding it on in some places.
One supposes it was water getting behind it and freezing etc.
Brian

It's not blown - yet, which is why I want to repair it now before the
water gets in and freezes.

Most things aren't fine enough to penetrate a 1mm crack (certainly not
mortar) but the 2 part Profil from Toolstation works pretty well IME
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Does this seem reasonable, or any better suggestions? /Q

1-2 mm? Paint em closed w the masonry paint?

Can't see how anything (especially 2 part filler) is going to penetrate any further than a few coats of paint? Never mind being up a ladder...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2015 13:17, JimK wrote:
/Does this seem reasonable, or any better suggestions? /Q

1-2 mm? Paint em closed w the masonry paint?

Can't see how anything (especially 2 part filler) is going to
penetrate any further than a few coats of paint? Never mind being up
a ladder...

Jim K

The filler I referred to is of a particularly fine consistency
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EVERBUILD PRO-FILL is a 2 part high performance multi-purpose filler, consisting of a grey coloured polyester paste with a Benzoyl Peroxide hardener. When cured, PRO-FILL forms a strong hard mass which offers excellent abrasion resistance and durability. PRO-FILL is suitable for use on timber, metal shuttering, concrete and GRP
Specification
BENEFITS;
- Simple to mix.
- Impact resistant.
- Fast curing.
- Water and oil resistant once cured.
- High strength. "

Sounds exactly like car body filler..

Wonder how much cracking you'd fill after you got up the ladder before it all cured on you?

Nah

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2015 23:06, JimK wrote:
"EVERBUILD PRO-FILL is a 2 part high performance multi-purpose
filler, consisting of a grey coloured polyester paste with a Benzoyl
Peroxide hardener. When cured, PRO-FILL forms a strong hard mass
which offers excellent abrasion resistance and durability. PRO-FILL
is suitable for use on timber, metal shuttering, concrete and GRP
Specification BENEFITS; - Simple to mix. - Impact resistant. - Fast
curing. - Water and oil resistant once cured. - High strength. "

Sounds exactly like car body filler..

Wonder how much cracking you'd fill after you got up the ladder
before it all cured on you?

Nah

Jim K

Er, well, it's best not to mix it all at once! Cures with any amount of
hardener, so no need to be too accurate.
Yes, same as car body filler, but cheaper, and I would guess has a
higher resin to aggregate ratio. Not a good idea to have a pale coloured
hardener though. Red would have been better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:06:12 -0700 (PDT), JimK
wrote:

"EVERBUILD PRO-FILL is a 2 part high performance multi-purpose filler, consisting of a grey coloured polyester paste with a Benzoyl Peroxide hardener. When cured, PRO-FILL forms a strong hard mass which offers excellent abrasion resistance and durability. PRO-FILL is suitable for use on timber, metal shuttering, concrete and GRP
Specification
BENEFITS;
- Simple to mix.
- Impact resistant.
- Fast curing.
- Water and oil resistant once cured.
- High strength. "

Sounds exactly like car body filler..

Wonder how much cracking you'd fill after you got up the ladder before it all cured on you?

Nah

Jim K

High strength - just what I don't need, or within a few months there
will be new cracks opening up as the wall continues to move.