Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to buy decent (genuine) mobile phone batteries?

Looking for one my son's LG Nexus 4.

Everywhere you look, suppliers say "Genuine LG item" etc but I know from
bitter experience that this is usually twaddle; and it's all too easy to
end up with a fake which expires within weeks.

There's a plausible one on Amazon here, which says by "LG Electronics"
he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J5LQUHW/ however, lower down the page it then
says "Dispatched from and sold by Glitzy Gizmos" which doesn't exactly
inspire confidence, does it?

In this case it's not even an option (for me) to go back to the
manusfacturer as according to them the battery is not user-replaceable
(although it's perfectly possible if you have half a clue) and it needs to

So how to end up with a genuine one?

Thoughts?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
Looking for one my son's LG Nexus 4.

Everywhere you look, suppliers say "Genuine LG item" etc but I know from
bitter experience that this is usually twaddle; and it's all too easy to
end up with a fake which expires within weeks.

There's a plausible one on Amazon here, which says by "LG Electronics"
he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J5LQUHW/ however, lower down the page it
then
says "Dispatched from and sold by Glitzy Gizmos" which doesn't exactly
inspire confidence, does it?

In this case it's not even an option (for me) to go back to the
manusfacturer as according to them the battery is not user-replaceable
(although it's perfectly possible if you have half a clue) and it needs to

So how to end up with a genuine one?

Buy it from a major LG reseller.

Thoughts?

See what the Amazon reviews say about it.

Even if it isn't genuine, it should last fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Santo Brown" wrote in message ...

"Lobster" wrote in message
.236...
[...]

Rod, you shouldn't be so ashamed of yourself that you feel the need to
constantly change nyms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...

Looking for one my son's LG Nexus 4.

Everywhere you look, suppliers say "Genuine LG item" etc but I know from
bitter experience that this is usually twaddle; and it's all too easy to
end up with a fake which expires within weeks.

There's a plausible one on Amazon here, which says by "LG Electronics"
he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J5LQUHW/ however, lower down the page it then
says "Dispatched from and sold by Glitzy Gizmos" which doesn't exactly
inspire confidence, does it?

In this case it's not even an option (for me) to go back to the
manusfacturer as according to them the battery is not user-replaceable
(although it's perfectly possible if you have half a clue) and it needs to

So how to end up with a genuine one?

Thoughts?

Reading the reviews at your link, I'd give those a miss.

Having searched a bit, my instinct would be to try these guys:
https://www.replacebase.co.uk/lg-nex...original-3163/
I'd phone and decide on the basis of a conversation with them

I have never dealt with this company and have no affiliation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
.236...
[...]

I have been caught out by a supposedly genuine Nokia battery. It looked
good, even had a fancy hologram, fully charged it lasted 48 hours on
standby!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster put finger to keyboard:

Looking for one my son's LG Nexus 4.

Everywhere you look, suppliers say "Genuine LG item" etc but I know from
bitter experience that this is usually twaddle; and it's all too easy to
end up with a fake which expires within weeks.

There's a plausible one on Amazon here, which says by "LG Electronics"
he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J5LQUHW/ however, lower down the page it
then says "Dispatched from and sold by Glitzy Gizmos" which doesn't
exactly inspire confidence, does it?

In this case it's not even an option (for me) to go back to the
manusfacturer as according to them the battery is not user-replaceable
(although it's perfectly possible if you have half a clue) and it needs
to go back to them to be fixed...

So how to end up with a genuine one?

Thoughts?

Buy one that is "sold by and dispatched from Amazon".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I'd doubt that a 'fake' would have anything like the capacity of the
genuine item, so should be obvious from day one.

There are 'fakes', where the battery is half full of filler and has half the
capacity. Those should be obvious.

There are 'fakes' where you thought you were getting a Samsung (or whatever)
battery but you got one from no-brand line - that means the chemicals might
not be as pure, as stable, the electrodes might not be as robust - these
will probably work, but have reduced cycles - or maybe they just wear out
and die one day

There are 'fakes' which were made on the genuine line, but rejected. These
might have the right components etc but a manufacturing defect. They could
have reduced capacity, reduced cycles, more likelihood of explosion - could
be anything.

Then there are 'fakes' which are made on the genuine line 'moonlighting'.
If the QC is in place, those might work as well as the genuine ones.
(But QC might not operate - saves explaining why the reject bin is twice as
full as expected)

Bottom line is you just can't tell from looking at them.

I recently bought a couple of electronic cigarette batteries from Ebay at
I suppose a suspiciously low price. And they did have a much lower
capacity than stated. Got no reply from the seller, and Ebay refunded the
money in full, without having to return them.

I bought a laptop replacement battery from a UK supplier - I took a lot of
effort to find one that wasn't a front for a Chinese company. The battery
worked, then after about 6 months it died (laptop wouldn't charge it). I
sent it back, they sent me another. After another 6 months that one died
in the same way. The genuine Dell battery lasted about 4 years.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2015 20:13, Rod Speed wrote:

That's one area where ebay does worse than amazon and aliexpress.

Amazon reviews have to be read from the one star rating upwards and
definitely avoid the 5 star ratings from those who have yet to remove
the product from the box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That's one area where ebay does worse than amazon and aliexpress.

Amazon reviews have to be read from the one star rating upwards

Yeah, that's what I do.

and definitely avoid the 5 star ratings from those
who have yet to remove the product from the box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2015 10:03 AM, Lobster wrote:
Looking for one my son's LG Nexus 4.

Snip

So how to end up with a genuine one?

Thoughts?

Hi :-)

I was after a Samsung U900 battery. I used Ebay and found one for
£6.50. Thinking this was a good find, I ordered.

Along with the battery came a miniature circuit board? I put the
battery in the phone. Nothing! Would not indicate it was on charge.

So, I ordered from elsewhere. This time paying £1.50 (not a typo).
The battery arrived, I put it in the phone and set it to charge. Charged
just fine. The charge lasted 4 days(with no use). It has been fine
since. Approx 2 months.

I did not keep the Ebay address as it was my brother that did the
ordering. However, I copied the address on the receipt because I will
use it again in some future. It is...

Seller address is idispatch, 58 Bridge Centre, Bridge Road, Southall,
UB2 4AY. 020 3417 6893

PS. Just done a search on the word idispatch and it is an account on
Ebay. The address is the same.

Ebay link... http://stores.ebay.co.uk/iDispatch.

Could it be cheaper to use the phone number??

Hope you get what you want.

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/
Biting the hand that feeds IT

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2015 20:13, Rod Speed wrote:

That's one area where ebay does worse than amazon and aliexpress.

Amazon reviews have to be read from the one star rating upwards and
definitely avoid the 5 star ratings from those who have yet to remove the
product from the box.

As a Supplier to Amazon I find their reviews frustrating for not specifying
where the item came from. I see bad reviews of our products which simply
don't have any relevance to what we supply. I can only assume a third party
seller has substituted a cheaper inferior product and the end user just
gives a bad review without realising what's in their hand its not the brand
that was advertised!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That's one area where ebay does worse than amazon and aliexpress.

Amazon reviews have to be read from the one star rating
upwards and definitely avoid the 5 star ratings from those
who have yet to remove the product from the box.

As a Supplier to Amazon I find their reviews frustrating
for not specifying where the item came from.

True, that is a major problem with Amazon.

I see bad reviews of our products which simply don't have
any relevance to what we supply. I can only assume a third
party seller has substituted a cheaper inferior product and
the end user just gives a bad review without realising what's
in their hand its not the brand that was advertised!

Yeah, very likely.