Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving primary phone socket

Looking for advice about relocating my primary telephone socket (not an
extension socket).

I found this discussion,
http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/mo...-point.101068/

and it seems the necessary bits can be acquired readily,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-O.../dp/B0085O3O8I

Anyone here done this? Any good pointers or pitfalls or
I-wish-I'd-knowns?

Thanks
--
N_i_c_k
Posted to uk.d-i-y

N_i_c_k wrote:

Looking for advice about relocating my primary telephone socket

obviously, you're not supposed to do it, but ignoring that as most would ...

Is it moving so the cable will be shortened, lengthened, or neither?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-23, Andy Burns wrote:
N_i_c_k wrote:

Looking for advice about relocating my primary telephone socket

obviously, you're not supposed to do it, but ignoring that as most
would ...

:-)

Is it moving so the cable will be shortened, lengthened, or neither?

Shortened, to about 4m. My plan, such as it is, is to throw away the
current cable which is about 12m long and replace it with a new one.

There is a sort of junction box where the outside phone cable comes
into the house and connects to the cable which goes to the primary
socket. So I'd have to disconnect the old cable there, connect mine
and route mine to the new or reused socket panel. I'd prefer new so it
can be surface mounted, my existing socket has a recess into the wall.
--
N_i_c_k
Posted to uk.d-i-y

N_i_c_k wrote:

There is a sort of junction box where the outside phone cable comes
into the house

With screw connections, or jelly crimps?

So long as you use proper CW1308 cable, make sure you don't short
anything out while doing it and make a neat job you should be fine,
taking a photo before can be helpful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
N_i_c_k wrote:

There is a sort of junction box where the outside phone cable comes
into the house

With screw connections, or jelly crimps?

So long as you use proper CW1308 cable, make sure you don't short
anything out while doing it and make a neat job you should be fine,
taking a photo before can be helpful.

But remember that BT put 1kV into the phone cable at random intervals to
discourage DIY.

Fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-23, Andy Burns wrote:
N_i_c_k wrote:

There is a sort of junction box where the outside phone cable comes
into the house

With screw connections, or jelly crimps?

Jelly, like these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007FGYV3Y

So long as you use proper CW1308 cable, make sure you don't short
anything out while doing it and make a neat job you should be fine,
taking a photo before can be helpful.

Sounds good - thanks!
--
N_i_c_k
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-23, Bill Wright wrote:
But remember that BT put 1kV into the phone cable at random
intervals to discourage DIY.

That's shocking.
--
N_i_c_k
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-23, Bill Wright wrote:
But remember that BT put 1kV into the phone cable at random
intervals to discourage DIY.

That's shocking.

And possibly ********?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2015 20:33:57 UTC+1, N_i_c_k wrote:
Anyone here done this? Any good pointers or pitfalls or
I-wish-I'd-knowns?

Don't use copper-clad aluminium cable, it doesn't comply with CW1308 but is sometimes sold as such.

Use the latest (Mk 3?) filter faceplate.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 21:17:00 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
N_i_c_k wrote:

There is a sort of junction box where the outside phone cable comes
into the house

With screw connections, or jelly crimps?

So long as you use proper CW1308 cable, make sure you don't short
anything out while doing it and make a neat job you should be fine,
taking a photo before can be helpful.

But remember that BT put 1kV into the phone cable at random intervals to
discourage DIY.

Fred

Easily dealt with , before commencing work contact the operator give
them a number and ask to reverse the charges.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-23, wrote:
Use the latest (Mk 3?) filter faceplate.

Thanks - this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-O.../dp/B00NMUXPOS

which it looks like is installed in this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-O.../dp/B007ZH2PFY
?
--
N_i_c_k
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:29:21 +0000 (UTC), N_i_c_k wrote:

But remember that BT put 1kV into the phone cable at random
intervals to discourage DIY.

That's shocking.

I can assure you the normal 50 V DC on a Direct Exchange Line
(ordinary phone line) is pretty shocking when you are up a ladder
putting on the talkback, music and control lines for an outside
broadcast in the peeing rain with you, the block and everything
soaking wet.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-23, wrote:
Use the latest (Mk 3?) filter faceplate.

Thanks - this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-O.../dp/B00NMUXPOS

which it looks like is installed in this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-O.../dp/B007ZH2PFY
?

You might find
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic...e%20Wiring.htm
useful. The only amendment I would suggest is only connect the
blue/bluewhite as all modern phones work with two wires, it's only
fairly old ones that need the ringing connection (orange/orange white)
and that, if installed, can/may be detremental to your broadband speed.

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2015 22:28:29 UTC+1, N_i_c_k wrote:
Use the latest (Mk 3?) filter faceplate.

Thanks - this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-O.../dp/B00NMUXPOS

That's the way to do it.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo o.uk,
Dave Liquorice escribió:

I can assure you the normal 50 V DC on a Direct Exchange Line
(ordinary phone line) is pretty shocking

Just you wait until someone rings it. Been there, done that.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:32:11 +0000 (UTC), N_i_c_k
wrote:

Looking for advice about relocating my primary telephone socket (not an
extension socket).

I found this discussion,
http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/mo...-point.101068/

and it seems the necessary bits can be acquired readily,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-O.../dp/B0085O3O8I

Anyone here done this? Any good pointers or pitfalls or
I-wish-I'd-knowns?

http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote in news:YsL1vFQcSu2VFw
:

En el artículo o.uk,
Dave Liquorice escribió:

I can assure you the normal 50 V DC on a Direct Exchange Line
(ordinary phone line) is pretty shocking

Just you wait until someone rings it. Been there, done that.

MY house had a BT instalation. Then I went to Virgin. The BT underground
wire was disconnected in the grey box outside and the wire from the Virgin
box was joined to the wire in the box that comes into the house.

I recently replaced the wire as I wanted to reroute it directly to the
Virgin box. I have burried the BT box.

Who might I have upset?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Andy Burns wrote:
N_i_c_k wrote:

There is a sort of junction box where the outside phone cable comes
into the house

With screw connections, or jelly crimps?
So long as you use proper CW1308 cable, make sure you don't short
anything out while doing it and make a neat job you should be fine,
taking a photo before can be helpful.

But remember that BT put 1kV into the phone cable at random intervals
to discourage DIY.

Fred

I used to have a commercially made device that did just that. It was a
1960s vintage bug detector and destroyer. Not sure how BT would react
to its use today.

It had a big red button marked "Destroy" !!!!!

--
Bill
( A different one )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:29:21 +0000 (UTC), N_i_c_k wrote:

But remember that BT put 1kV into the phone cable at random
intervals to discourage DIY.

That's shocking.

I can assure you the normal 50 V DC on a Direct Exchange Line
(ordinary phone line) is pretty shocking when you are up a ladder
putting on the talkback, music and control lines for an outside
broadcast in the peeing rain with you, the block and everything
soaking wet.

I had a customer with leased lines that carried audio, they were a bit
shocked one day when BT decided to phone them up. The ringing volts
were a bit LOUD apparently the monitor speaker nearly jumped off the
desk.
--
Bill
( A different one )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

I have burried the BT box.
Who might I have upset?

Whoever in future wants a BT line connecting; they're likely to pay full
whack for a new connection rather than a few quid to reconnect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in
o.uk:

DerbyBorn wrote:

I have burried the BT box.
Who might I have upset?

Whoever in future wants a BT line connecting; they're likely to pay full
whack for a new connection rather than a few quid to reconnect.

When I say "buried", the underground cable still goes to it from a pavement
manhole. The grey box was just taken off the wall and put under some
decorative pebbles. Virgin were the first to "abuse it" by linking through
it.
As you suggest though - it won't be my problem unless BT comes up with
something to beat my Virgin service.

Moving a socket Paul_UK UK diy 7 August 22nd 06 09:44 AM
'Moving' a socket Aldrich UK diy 4 July 4th 06 07:11 PM
moving a socket & part P. John UK diy 4 March 28th 05 09:42 PM
Moving an electric wall socket [email protected] UK diy 8 January 21st 05 10:40 AM
Moving BT master socket, is this frowned upon? Jason Arthurs UK diy 48 February 28th 04 09:46 AM