Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Thought on LEDs for ceiling light

I made the decision and ripped out the 4 x halogens in the ceiling
(Shower room), I will replace with LEDs, to make life easier I want
standard fittings, no transformers and an easy change bulb.

My current thoughts are a central ceiling light with 3 or 4 LED lamps.
Thinking to go for 5 watt each. Anyone got experience re light levels
etc with this? Warm or daylight. it will need to be bright.

I want either bayonet BC22 although light fittings a bit scarce.
Or screw E27, Mainly because they may be around long enough to save me
changing fittings at a later date. Any issues with E27 or BC22 I am
trying to get some uniformity throughout the house as currently I have
thin screw type/wide screw type, Gu10 / MR16 and standard bayonet.

Any thoughts on the above as this is my first move to LEDs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:06:52 +0100, ss wrote:

I made the decision and ripped out the 4 x halogens in the ceiling
(Shower room), I will replace with LEDs, to make life easier I want
standard fittings, no transformers and an easy change bulb.

My current thoughts are a central ceiling light with 3 or 4 LED lamps.
Thinking to go for 5 watt each. Anyone got experience re light levels
etc with this? Warm or daylight. it will need to be bright.

I want either bayonet BC22 although light fittings a bit scarce.
Or screw E27, Mainly because they may be around long enough to save me
changing fittings at a later date. Any issues with E27 or BC22 I am
trying to get some uniformity throughout the house as currently I have
thin screw type/wide screw type, Gu10 / MR16 and standard bayonet.

Any thoughts on the above as this is my first move to LEDs.

What were the halogens you ripped out? If they were GU10s I would have
left the fittings & swapped the lamps for good warm white LEDs

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 23/08/2015 20:28, Graham. wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:06:52 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Well it has been on my mind for the last 2 years to get rid of the
Halogens and back then when I looked they were expensive, plus I was not
happy with the wiring as a couple of them would intermittently just turn
off, so I just went for it, it will be a complete rip out of the shower
room.

Anyhow my kitchen has 13 halogens so will check current prices and see
if thats a good option for that room. Lounge has 10 halogens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2015 20:51:11 UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 23/08/2015 20:28, Graham. wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:06:52 +0100, wrote:

I made the decision and ripped out the 4 x halogens in the ceiling
(Shower room), I will replace with LEDs, to make life easier I want
standard fittings, no transformers and an easy change bulb.

My current thoughts are a central ceiling light with 3 or 4 LED lamps.
Thinking to go for 5 watt each. Anyone got experience re light levels
etc with this? Warm or daylight. it will need to be bright.

Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its not.

I want either bayonet BC22 although light fittings a bit scarce.
Or screw E27, Mainly because they may be around long enough to save me
changing fittings at a later date. Any issues with E27 or BC22 I am
trying to get some uniformity throughout the house as currently I have
thin screw type/wide screw type, Gu10 / MR16 and standard bayonet.

Any thoughts on the above as this is my first move to LEDs.

What were the halogens you ripped out? If they were GU10s I would have
left the fittings& swapped the lamps for good warm white LEDs

Well it has been on my mind for the last 2 years to get rid of the
Halogens and back then when I looked they were expensive, plus I was not
happy with the wiring as a couple of them would intermittently just turn
off,

transformer overheating or holder contacts. Either way very fixable.

so I just went for it, it will be a complete rip out of the shower
room.

Anyhow my kitchen has 13 halogens so will check current prices and see
if thats a good option for that room. Lounge has 10 halogens.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 23/08/2015 20:55, wrote:
Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its not.

So what you reckon is best other than daylight, other half will make
life hell if not bright enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 20:55, wrote:

Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its not.

I prefer cool white to the hideous yellow colour type bulbs. If you
eyesight isn't as good as it once was the cool whites tend to give a
perceived better contrast, especially when viewing the printed page

I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish)
bathroom and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole room.

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-l...anel-1477.html

I've surface mounted it on the ceiling with the supplied transformer in
the loft space directly above. The fixing is 4 screws into the ceiling
that slide into 4 keyhole fixings mounted on the back of the panel
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/584...ng_bracket.jpg

In my experience the electronics in the LED GU type down lighters get
too hot giving a short lifespan for these type of LED bulb assemblies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/08/2015 20:55, wrote:

Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its
not.

I prefer cool white to the hideous yellow colour type bulbs. If you
eyesight isn't as good as it once was the cool whites tend to give a
perceived better contrast, especially when viewing the printed page

I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish) bathroom
and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole room.

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-l...anel-1477.html

Pity about the price.

I've surface mounted it on the ceiling with the supplied transformer in
the loft space directly above. The fixing is 4 screws into the ceiling
that slide into 4 keyhole fixings mounted on the back of the panel
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/584...ng_bracket.jpg

In my experience the electronics in the LED GU type down lighters get too
hot giving a short lifespan for these type of LED bulb assemblies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2015 21:11:21 UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 23/08/2015 20:55, nt wrote:
Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its not.

So what you reckon is best other than daylight, other half will make
life hell if not bright enough.

2700-3500K are good for domestic use. A minority of people like cooler white, eg 4500K, but to a lot of people those are hideous. 'Daylight' is especially bad. It is roughly the same colour as at least one version of real daylight, but the eye percieves it very differently to real daylight, and it ain't pleasant.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 21:11:15 +0100, ss wrote:

On 23/08/2015 20:55, wrote:
Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its not.

So what you reckon is best other than daylight, other half will make
life hell if not bright enough.

So-called "daylight" is often 6000 - 6500K and blueish. For living/working
rooms I prefer 4100 - 4600K (I've both and there's very little difference)
as it's clear and bright and not blue.
In a 12' square room there 3-off 5W, 600lm 4100K lamps in clear/frosted
shades and the lighting is, er, brilliant.
(Amazon)
http://amzn.to/1EerrOf
The kitchen, a bit smaller, has 5-off 3W, 320lm 4100K lamps.
http://amzn.to/1Eerw4h
These are 'sem-flush', not recessed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some person on one of those house make over shows the other day was waxing
lyrical about led strips which from what he described were all ove the
ceiling, must have been an electricians nightmare, no matter how cool it
looked.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish)
bathroom and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole room.

I've fitted a circular one in my porch (cheapo on eBay) which is only
marginally thicker than plasterboard it's recessed into. I cut off and
extended the low voltage wiring, so the PSU is completely remote in the
garage. The ring of LED tape 'fires' inwards, illuminating the circular
glass plate through the edge, with a clever diffusion pattern and
reflector above to even out the light pattern.

Similar to this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291435256908

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 24/08/2015 18:56, ARW wrote:
I have probably now fitted well over 500 600 x 600 LED grid panels in
schools, hospitals offices etc similar to the ones you linked to.

I am impressed with them.

I like the look of the 300x300 ones, I assume although a reasonable
shelf life there will come a point the panel needs replacing rather than
individual LEDs.

Looks like a good option for my shower room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2015 18:52, ARW wrote:

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-l...anel-1477.html

Pity about the price.

£30.24 from the same company if you tell tham that you are a trade
customer.

They sometimes do 'VAT free weekends' promotions and/or 10% to 20% off
promotions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ss" wrote in message
On 24/08/2015 18:56, ARW wrote:
I have probably now fitted well over 500 600 x 600 LED grid panels in
schools, hospitals offices etc similar to the ones you linked to.

I am impressed with them.

I like the look of the 300x300 ones, I assume although a reasonable shelf
life there will come a point the panel needs replacing rather than
individual LEDs.

Looks like a good option for my shower room.

I'll take details of what I fit in the morning at a local College. They are
600x600 but there is a 5 year warranty on them. And we will use that if
needed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 24/08/2015 18:52, ARW wrote:

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-l...anel-1477.html

Pity about the price.

£30.24 from the same company if you tell tham that you are a trade
customer.

They sometimes do 'VAT free weekends' promotions and/or 10% to 20% off
promotions.

It's even better value when they offer the promotions to the trade prices:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news
alan_m wrote:

I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish)
bathroom and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole
room.

I've fitted a circular one in my porch (cheapo on eBay) which is only
marginally thicker than plasterboard it's recessed into. I cut off and
extended the low voltage wiring, so the PSU is completely remote in the
garage. The ring of LED tape 'fires' inwards, illuminating the circular
glass plate through the edge, with a clever diffusion pattern and
reflector above to even out the light pattern.

Similar to this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291435256908

Trust you to find a light that I have never fitted:-)

It looks OK to me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/08/2015 20:55, wrote:

Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its
not.

I prefer cool white to the hideous yellow colour type bulbs. If you
eyesight isn't as good as it once was the cool whites tend to give a
perceived better contrast, especially when viewing the printed page

I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish)
bathroom and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole
room.

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-l...anel-1477.html

I have probably now fitted well over 500 600 x 600 LED grid panels in
schools, hospitals offices etc similar to the ones you linked to.

I am impressed with them.

Yeah, nice concept. Don’t like the price tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
alan_m wrote:

I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish)
bathroom and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole room.

I've fitted a circular one in my porch (cheapo on eBay) which is only
marginally thicker than plasterboard it's recessed into. I cut off and
extended the low voltage wiring, so the PSU is completely remote in the
garage. The ring of LED tape 'fires' inwards, illuminating the circular
glass plate through the edge, with a clever diffusion pattern and
reflector above to even out the light pattern.

Similar to this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291435256908

Does it give a wider beam pattern than you'd get with the more usual
grid of chips pointing downwards? I want something like that for a
walk-in larder with items on shelves right up to the ceiling. A LED bulb
in a conventional fitting gives good light distribution but doesn't last
long because of the heat.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/08/2015 20:55, wrote:

Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its
not.

I prefer cool white to the hideous yellow colour type bulbs. If you
eyesight isn't as good as it once was the cool whites tend to give a
perceived better contrast, especially when viewing the printed page

I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish)
bathroom and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole
room.

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-l...anel-1477.html

Pity about the price.

£30.24 from the same company if you tell tham that you are a trade
customer.

Still a mad price.

And your better alternative is?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/08/2015 20:55, wrote:

Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime,
its not.

I prefer cool white to the hideous yellow colour type bulbs. If you
eyesight isn't as good as it once was the cool whites tend to give a
perceived better contrast, especially when viewing the printed page

I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish)
bathroom and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole
room.

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-l...anel-1477.html

Pity about the price.

£30.24 from the same company if you tell tham that you are a trade
customer.

Still a mad price.

And your better alternative is?

I didn’t say there was a better alternative.

That particular market is clearly still in its obscene ripoff phase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/08/2015 20:55, wrote:

[...]

Still an obscene ripoff, particularly without the 5 year warranty
so that it may well not even manage to last a year etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291435256908

Does it give a wider beam pattern than you'd get with the more usual
grid of chips pointing downwards?

I'd say *considerably* better than downward firing LEDs, the diffusion
sheet (a bit like a circular halftone screen) does an excellent job.

Mine's 6" diameter, 6 watt, mounted centrally in a 6'x4' ish porch with
6'6" ceiling.

It gives a good wash of light onto all walls and the floor, except for
about a 2" band around the top of the walls due to the 3mm high bezel,
so at least a 175° beam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291435256908

Does it give a wider beam pattern than you'd get with the more usual
grid of chips pointing downwards?

I'd say *considerably* better than downward firing LEDs, the diffusion
sheet (a bit like a circular halftone screen) does an excellent job.

Mine's 6" diameter, 6 watt, mounted centrally in a 6'x4' ish porch with
6'6" ceiling.

It gives a good wash of light onto all walls and the floor, except for
about a 2" band around the top of the walls due to the 3mm high bezel,
so at least a 175° beam.

That sounds perfect. Can you quote the item number you bought? I can't
tell from the product descriptions I've looked at which ones are
designed like yours (though some are obviously not).

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It gives a good wash of light onto all walls and the floor, except for
about a 2" band around the top of the walls due to the 3mm high bezel,
so at least a 175° beam.

That sounds perfect. Can you quote the item number you bought?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261376041772

But that seller seems to have nothing for sale now, The photos should
let you find a similar one, I daresay they all come off the same
production line ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:

In my experience the electronics in the LED GU type down lighters get
too hot giving a short lifespan for these type of LED bulb assemblies.

IMHO it's crap electronics - I've had the same problem, but I
reckoned the electronics were not getting that hot, and a change
of bulb brand seems to have solved it. With any new technology it
takes a while to iron out the initial problems.

--
Biggles

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/