Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default uPVC Replacement

Getting a quote for some new windows. We have a window at the top of our
stairs. We have never opened it. It is even hard to reach the handle as the
stairs drop away and double back.

One fitter suggested a bottom opening sash so we could reach the handle.

I am wondering if I could just make it a fixed window as this would be
cheaper and would give a bigger area of glass.

Would this be illegal in any way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

We have a window at the top of our stairs. We have never opened it.

I bet you'd have a damned good go at opening it if it was your only
means of escape in a fire! Does it open onto e.g. a flat roof, do any
other windows?

I am wondering if I could just make it a fixed window as this would be
cheaper and would give a bigger area of glass.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...s/doorswindows

"When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at
least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces."

That does say "should" rather than "must" ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Getting a quote for some new windows. We have a window at the top of our
stairs. We have never opened it. It is even hard to reach the handle as
the
stairs drop away and double back.

One fitter suggested a bottom opening sash so we could reach the handle.

I am wondering if I could just make it a fixed window as this would be
cheaper and would give a bigger area of glass.

Would this be illegal in any way?

No, you wouldn't be able to get to it in the event of a fire anyway and a
bottom opener always has a fiddly catch to prevent toddlers climbing out.

If a fire starts downstairs, you're never going to climb out through a
window on the stairs, if it starts upstairs while you are in bed, you can
either throw the bed through a window and get out that way, or go past this
window on your way downstairs

Ill bet half the upvc windows in the country don't open due to lost keys.

IOW, just put a fixed window in, there's no one can say it hasn't always
been that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 17:29, Andy Burns wrote:

"When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at
least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces."

Including placing a glass breaking hammer within easy reach?
http://www.lifeaxe.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...s/doorswindows

"When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at
least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces."

That does say "should" rather than "must" ...

It does not open onto anthing - other than the ground. Two berooms open
onto a sloping roof. They open as an escape.

The height of the landing window above the turn in the stairs would make it
a difficult choice for escape. Fove other windows give a better option as
you could get up onto a bed to climb out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...s/doorswindows

"When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at
least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces."

That does say "should" rather than "must" ...

Ah! 1m 30cms above the stair that abuts the wall below the cill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 18:19, Phil L wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
[...]

I've often thought this, perhaps one of the biggest dangers of uPVC
windows where there's smoke and fire.

I don't lock mine for that specific reason.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/08/2015 17:29, Andy Burns wrote:

"When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at
least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces."

Including placing a glass breaking hammer within easy reach?
http://www.lifeaxe.com/

Pity about the burglars using it to get out when
they find that the deadbolts stop them getting out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 21:33, Rod Speed wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/08/2015 17:29, Andy Burns wrote:

"When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at
least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces."

Including placing a glass breaking hammer within easy reach?
http://www.lifeaxe.com/

Pity about the burglars using it to get out when
they find that the deadbolts stop them getting out.

Do you think that a deadbolt is actually going to stop them getting in
or stop them getting out?

Locksmiths seem to be able to open doors within seconds and I guess that
most clued up professional burglars can do the same. Those without the
skills are first going to try and kick the panels out of the door
followed by your settee flying out of the window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2015 18:16:59 UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
[...]

"Throw the bed"????
Don't kid yourself.
DG units are extremely hard to break.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Sunday, 23 August 2015 18:16:59 UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
[...]

If your arse was on fire, you'd throw the bed, wardrobe, TV or anything else
that you could pick up

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2015 16:56, Phil L wrote:

If your arse was on fire, you'd throw the bed, wardrobe, TV or anything else
that you could pick up

But your double glazed window would probably still be intact,

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 24/08/2015 16:56, Phil L wrote:

If your arse was on fire, you'd throw the bed, wardrobe, TV or anything
else
that you could pick up

But your double glazed window would probably still be intact,

Mine wouldn’t. The bed is a flush door on concrete blocks.
The blocks would go thru a double glazed window fine and
are easy enough to pick up and throw thru it too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 24/08/2015 16:56, Phil L wrote:

If your arse was on fire, you'd throw the bed, wardrobe, TV or anything
else
that you could pick up

But your double glazed window would probably still be intact,

Highly unlikely, none of mine are toughened glass.
Toughened units are only used below a certain height, bedroom windows are
usually above this height in order to prevent children going through the
glass.
Glass is easy to break if you hit it at a corner

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2015 19:36, Phil L wrote:

Glass is easy to break if you hit it at a corner

That's true for a single pane of glass but double glazed units are
allegedly much more difficult to shatter due to the cushioning effect of
the enclosed gas acting as a shock absorber.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/The bed is a flush door on concrete blocks. /Q

Whoa!

"if the trailers a_rocking, don't come a_knocking.... "

Jim K