Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Isolator switch

I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 1:54:08 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

Thanks

Never seen a fused 3 pole pull cord switch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 22/08/2015 14:18, adamko2020 wrote:
On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 1:54:08 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

Thanks

Never seen a fused 3 pole pull cord switch.

I just know I need to use a 3.pole switch and wondered if regs dictate
what type in a bathroom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2015 13:54, ss wrote:
I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

As far as I know you'll only find one type of 3 pole fan isolator
switch, e.g. something like:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA3PSW.html

The regs require appliances (including switches) to be outside zones 0
to 2 (i.e. where they shouldn't get water splashed on them) or to have a
suitable IP rating.

There's no specific insistence on pull cord switches as such though it's
often a way of positioning the actual switch mechanism outside the zones
and keeping the "human interface" conveniently accessible. Also quite
good practice if there's a possibility of it being operated by someone
with wet hands.

The fan isolator is something which will very rarely need to be
accessed. Normally it will only be used when maintaining the fan so not
much problem if it's high up on the wall. It should, however, be
installed where it can be seen by the person servicing the fan.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 22/08/2015 15:37, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 22/08/2015 13:54, ss wrote:
[...]

Thanks that clarifies it for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:

The regs require appliances (including switches) to be outside zones 0
to 2 (i.e. where they shouldn't get water splashed on them) or to have a
suitable IP rating.

Appliances can be in the Zones, so long as they are suitably IP rated.
For instance, it is very common for a fan to be on the end wall of a
bath.
701.55

--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I just know I need to use a 3.pole switch and wondered if regs dictate
what type in a bathroom.

The Regs do not ask for a 3 pole isolator, they ask for an isolator that
isolates any Line conductors (and neutral on TT systems).
It is manufacturers instructions which ask for a 3 pole isolator, and
that can even be ignored now the 3rd Amendment is here, if you can
justify not having it.
Greenbrook fans do not ask for a 3 pole isolator.
--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On most new builds you see the bathroom/en suite fan isolator located outside the bathroom above the door so they are convenient to switch from the point of servicing but not convenient to use as the general on/off switch. Most of these fans are then wired into the lighting circuit so they come on when the lights are turned on. If you do not want that and require a seperate switch then if that is going in the bathroom that will have to be a pull cord type and will not need to be a 3 pole type neither will the isolator unless it is being wired through the light circuit.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
adamko2020 writes:
On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 1:54:08 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

Thanks

Never seen a fused 3 pole pull cord switch.

Reminds me of the shower at a former workplace.
High ceiling, and the light and shower pullcords were next to each
other on the ceiling, and someone had the bright idea of having
just one pullcord which split to the two switches about 6" below
them. They were always out of sync whenever I went in there - light
on and shower off, or other way around.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 22/08/2015 16:47, A.Lee wrote:
Mike Clarke wrote:

The regs require appliances (including switches) to be outside zones 0
to 2 (i.e. where they shouldn't get water splashed on them) or to have a
suitable IP rating.

Appliances can be in the Zones, so long as they are suitably IP rated.
For instance, it is very common for a fan to be on the end wall of a
bath.
701.55

Ok I reckon I have all the info I need now.
Thanks to all for their input.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2015 13:54, ss wrote:
I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

The general rule for switch gear, is that its appropriate for the
situation and circumstances in which its used. So a rocker switch
mounted high up on a wall in the corner of the room is likely to be fine
if its not going to get splashed etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 23/08/2015 19:27, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/08/2015 13:54, ss wrote:
I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

The general rule for switch gear, is that its appropriate for the
situation and circumstances in which its used. So a rocker switch
mounted high up on a wall in the corner of the room is likely to be fine
if its not going to get splashed etc.

I reckon at this stage of the planning the rocker switch and the fan
will be out of Zone 2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2015 17:48, Tricky Dicky wrote:

On most new builds you see the bathroom/en suite fan isolator located
outside the bathroom above the door so they are convenient to switch
from the point of servicing but not convenient to use as the general
on/off switch. Most of these fans are then wired into the lighting
circuit so they come on when the lights are turned on. If you do not
want that and require a seperate switch then if that is going in the
bathroom that will have to be a pull cord type

Its not a hard requirement that a switch in a bathroom be a pull cord
type - (although its certainly common to use pull cords).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...trics#Switches

and will not need to
be a 3 pole type neither will the isolator unless it is being wired
through the light circuit.

The three pole requirement does not come as a result of it being wired
from a lighting circuit, but due to it having three live wires (i.e.
line, switched line and neutral).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2015 00:59, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Pedantic hat
Don't you mean "line conductors", live, switched live and neutral?
/Pedantic hat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2015 13:54, ss wrote:
I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

The general rule for switch gear, is that its appropriate for the
situation and circumstances in which its used. So a rocker switch
mounted high up on a wall in the corner of the room is likely to be fine
if its not going to get splashed etc.

I reckon at this stage of the planning the rocker switch and the fan
will be out of Zone 2

In the complete refurb I did on our en-suite I used the Scolmore Click
Mini Grid modules on a 12-way back plate; it is well outside Zone 2.

I accommodated the fan isolator and fuse, centre light switch, over
cabinet light switch, towel rail switch and indicator light, shower
pump switch and shaver socket isolator using all 12 positions in one
way or another ... got rid of three 'wrong' switches from inside zone
2 plus three horrible pull switches that were not only ugly but made a
din through the ceiling. Have a look at the comprehensive range he
www.scolmore.com/_pdfs/minigrid.pdf

A good deal on the isolator from UK Electrical Supplies he
http://tinyurl.com/obvsxro they have priced down all the modules.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2015 01:45, Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

No I don't...

"Line" is the new replacement term is for what was previously called a
"Phase", and in this instance includes the live and switched live wires
but specifically does not include[1] the neutral.

Neutral is considered a live wire, but not a phase or line wire.

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Liv e_wire.3F

[1] See Part 2 (definitions) of BS7671 17th edition.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/08/2015 13:54, ss wrote:
I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

The general rule for switch gear, is that its appropriate for the
situation and circumstances in which its used. So a rocker switch mounted
high up on a wall in the corner of the room is likely to be fine if its
not going to get splashed etc.

It's not a general rule it is a reg:-)

511.1

The word is, as you said "appropriate"

Now do you fancy a challenge?

I got an email from a DIY forum http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk the other
day. The email was sent to me (OnlyMe)

It seems impossible that I should have received this email (it was spam).

If I sent you the email and the headers could you shed any light on why I
received the email? Only if you are not busy - it is not that important.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/15 21:33, ARW wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/08/2015 13:54, ss wrote:
[...]

You could send it to me if John's busy - I do that stuff too
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2015 07:37, Tim Watts wrote:
On 24/08/15 21:33, ARW wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/08/2015 13:54, ss wrote:
[...]

send us both a copy ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Boiler isolator switch BartC UK diy 21 April 23rd 12 05:45 PM
25amp Isolator switch Ray[_3_] UK diy 17 November 5th 07 07:41 PM
Shower isolator switch hot Vass UK diy 15 January 27th 07 03:27 PM
Why 3 Pole for Fan Isolator Switch RzB UK diy 11 August 16th 06 10:58 PM
Extractor fan isolator switch. Laurie UK diy 1 August 18th 05 02:08 PM