DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mortice gauge points ~ anyone ever had to replace these? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/381863-mortice-gauge-points-%7E-anyone-ever-had-replace-these.html)

Nick August 20th 15 09:13 PM

Mortice gauge points ~ anyone ever had to replace these?

Good evening folks.
I have a couple of old mortice gauges. Both well and regularly used.
The points on both are getting to the point of being errm.... pointless.
I've carefully filed them a few times but they now need replacing.

All are steel points in brass.
The holes in the back side of the brass are smaller than the points.
I've not yet attacked them with anything. Just hoping someone here might
have some knowledge or experience of such.

Thanks,
Nick.

F Murtz August 21st 15 02:45 AM

Nick wrote:
Good evening folks.
I have a couple of old mortice gauges. Both well and regularly used.
The points on both are getting to the point of being errm.... pointless.
I've carefully filed them a few times but they now need replacing.

All are steel points in brass.
The holes in the back side of the brass are smaller than the points.
I've not yet attacked them with anything. Just hoping someone here might
have some knowledge or experience of such.

Thanks,
Nick.

Dont know but it sounds like a taper, just knock them out from the rear
with something that fits the hole in the back and replace them with new
made from something like piano wire.
Unless they are threaded which I doubt.

Andrew Mawson[_2_] August 21st 15 09:02 AM

"Nick" wrote in message ...

Good evening folks.
I have a couple of old mortice gauges. Both well and regularly used.
The points on both are getting to the point of being errm.... pointless.
I've carefully filed them a few times but they now need replacing.

All are steel points in brass.
The holes in the back side of the brass are smaller than the points.
I've not yet attacked them with anything. Just hoping someone here might
have some knowledge or experience of such.

Thanks,
Nick.

Tap out the old ones, drill to size and superglue / loctite a pair of good
old fashioned gramophone needles in their place.

Andrew

michael adams[_8_] August 21st 15 09:32 AM

"Nick" wrote in message
Good evening folks.
I have a couple of old mortice gauges. Both well and regularly used.
The points on both are getting to the point of being errm.... pointless.
I've carefully filed them a few times but they now need replacing.

All are steel points in brass.
The holes in the back side of the brass are smaller than the points.

The reason that the holes at the back are smaller is to allow you
to punch the old ones out with an approprite sized punch or masonry
nail and then when you force fit a new one it won't slide straight
out the back. If it's a close enough fit then its not going to go
anywhere and so no adhesive is necessary. Which makes it, in it's
turn, easier to replace when the time comes.

michael adams