Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd mortice lock problem

Got a call today from a customer which is a semi secure unit for the
rehabilitation of ex offenders.

They couldn't unlock the managers office door, mortice lock activated by
a euro cylinder. Very odd, I could feel & hear the bolt retracting but
the door wouldn't open. Hinges were on the inside so I couldn't attack them.

Didn't really want to drill out or snap the euro cylinder because it was
operated by their master key and it was probably one of those anti snap
anti drill types anyway.

Jemmied off the slam strip and I could see the bolt retracting, but the
piggin door still wouldn't open.

Very bright torch revealed the problem. The bolt was brass with two of
those cylindrical steel pins that prevent the bolt being sawn through
with a hacksaw. One of the pins had worked its way out of the bolt &
was jamming in the keep. Eventually managed to fettle it back into the
bolt with a penknife and hey presto!

Never come across that before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2015 23:53, David Lang wrote:
[...]

What's to stop it working its way out again?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's to stop it working its way out again?

Loctite perhaps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2015 15:08, Nick wrote:
What's to stop it working its way out again?

Loctite perhaps?

Removing it completely :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 4:57:12 PM UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
On 14/07/2015 15:08, Nick wrote:
What's to stop it working its way out again?

Loctite perhaps?

Removing it completely :-)

Ironically I had a panic call in from the workshop from the house executive a couple of days ago saying that the bathroom door had locked itself - unfortunately no one on the inside.

It is one of the old style black painted surface mount mechanisms and yes the snib had got itself lodged into the keeper. A springy pallete knife flicked it back in at the umteenth attempt. In this case the flat spring bearing down on the slide snib had got itself into a shape that it was actually pushing the snib forward, so the vibration of shutting the door created the energy for the lock to operate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick
writes
What's to stop it working its way out again?

Loctite perhaps?

May rather defeat the reason behind them being there in the first place
though :-)

--
Bill