Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Identifying Tungsten Carbide

Hi all,

I bought some iffy lathe tool of Ebay; the seller claims it to be
tungsten carbide, but I'm sceptical about that. Looks more like HSS or
chrome/moly to me. I need to ascertain if it's genuine TC or not. So...
how about trying to grind it on an ordinary grey stone grinding wheel? It
should be invincible against grey wheels, should it not? So if I end up
with a bit of the tool ground off, then it can't be TC, can it? Will that
be definitive proof or has anyone got a better suggestion?

ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Cursitor Doom
writes
Hi all,

I bought some iffy lathe tool of Ebay; the seller claims it to be
tungsten carbide, but I'm sceptical about that. Looks more like HSS or
chrome/moly to me. I need to ascertain if it's genuine TC or not. So...
how about trying to grind it on an ordinary grey stone grinding wheel? It
should be invincible against grey wheels, should it not? So if I end up
with a bit of the tool ground off, then it can't be TC, can it? Will that
be definitive proof or has anyone got a better suggestion?

For some reason my newsreader has put Chris Hogg in the kill file
(although not found there).

Tungsten carbide tipped tools can be sharpened on a conventional
grinding albeit ...slowly:-)

I was never a grinding engineer but, don't green wheels simply have more
sulphur lubricant than conventional?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2015 10:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

It was explained to me that soft wheels, where the grinding material was
"renewed" during usage, were used for Tungsten Carbide, and harder
grinding material used for steels that were softer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2015 22:42, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I bought some iffy lathe tool of Ebay; the seller claims it to be
tungsten carbide, but I'm sceptical about that. Looks more like HSS or
chrome/moly to me. I need to ascertain if it's genuine TC or not. So...
how about trying to grind it on an ordinary grey stone grinding wheel? It
should be invincible against grey wheels, should it not? So if I end up
with a bit of the tool ground off, then it can't be TC, can it? Will that
be definitive proof or has anyone got a better suggestion?

Look at the sparks thrown off when you grind it:

http://www.scrapmetaljunkie.com/241/...sting-metals-2

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

PS: forgot to mention that tungsten carbide isn't magnetic, whereas
most steels are (but not all, I don't think, so not necessarily
absolutely definitive).

Apprently tungsten carbide tools also contain cobalt.

Testing some router cutters solid tungsten ones were much less
magnetic than steel. Basicaly it was an effort to pull steel
cutters off the magnetic whereas the tungsten ones fell away
easily.

So a comparison with a known HSS tool should gibve a good
indication.

Saying which, depending on the seller's feedback profile, and
the price paid, whether the seller will necessarily roll over
straightaway is another matter.

michael adams

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Green wheels are usually silicone carbide and are used to grind carbide
but it is still slow.