Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WTF is that?

We recently stayed in a holiday bungalow in Suffolk which had many
quirks in its construction. A particularly interesting feature was this
thing in the ceiling, directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nemo a écrit :
We recently stayed in a holiday bungalow in Suffolk which had many quirks in
its construction. A particularly interesting feature was this thing in the
ceiling, directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

Looks like a stove flue to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nemo
writes
directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

A useful handhold whilst working your way through Kama Sutra?

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wondered when somebody would get smutty.
Luckily I cannot see the picture.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"News" wrote in message
In message , nemo
writes
directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

A useful handhold whilst working your way through Kama Sutra?

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 July 2015 00:58:18 UTC+1, nemo wrote:
We recently stayed in a holiday bungalow in Suffolk which had many
quirks in its construction. A particularly interesting feature was this
thing in the ceiling, directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

It's the cleaning door for the bottom of a chimney.
I'd suggest that it is in a dangerous position, if over the bed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nemo
writes
We recently stayed in a holiday bungalow in Suffolk which had many
quirks in its construction. A particularly interesting feature was this
thing in the ceiling, directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

I'd go with the cut off flue as you say it is a bungalow. What heating
system was provided?

Lots of quirks found in cottages converted for holiday use around
Southwold. Local builders and BC used to accept alterations not found
elsewhere. My mother owned a cottage which was once the outbuildings for
a windmill. Reed thatch with pan tiles on top!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 01:23:33 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

Looks like a stove flue to me.

Does to me as well. Bit odd to be going through the ceiling like
that, single wall flue pipe gets rather hot.

Is it for a stove now removed from the room or the bottom of a pipe
from a rear exit stove into a T in the room above, to facilitate the
remove of soot.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/15 09:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 01:23:33 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

Looks like a stove flue to me.

Does to me as well. Bit odd to be going through the ceiling like
that, single wall flue pipe gets rather hot.

Is it for a stove now removed from the room or the bottom of a pipe
from a rear exit stove into a T in the room above, to facilitate the
remove of soot.

The only thing wrong with that picture is that it looks wrong for a
stove pipe, being seamed from sheet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2015 08:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , nemo
writes
We recently stayed in a holiday bungalow in Suffolk which had many
quirks in its construction. A particularly interesting feature was
this thing in the ceiling, directly above the double bed in the main
bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

I'd go with the cut off flue as you say it is a bungalow. What heating
system was provided?

Lots of quirks found in cottages converted for holiday use around
Southwold. Local builders and BC used to accept alterations not found
elsewhere. My mother owned a cottage which was once the outbuildings for
a windmill. Reed thatch with pan tiles on top!

Couldn't check for evidence of a flue, no access to the rear of the
property. If it was a former flue, why not cap it in the roof space and
make good the ceiling?

Heating is currently from an oil-fired boiler[1] in a cupboard off the
living room, with hot storage tank in a cupboard in the hall, obviously
retrofitted with no attempt to conceal any of the radiator pipework.

[1] Do all oil boilers smell so strongly of diesel? If our gas boiler
smelled at all of gas I'd be very worried.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/15 00:58, nemo wrote:
We recently stayed in a holiday bungalow in Suffolk which had many
quirks in its construction. A particularly interesting feature was this
thing in the ceiling, directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

Hidden camera. Check youtube asap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nemo" wrote in message
We recently stayed in a holiday bungalow in Suffolk which had many quirks
in its construction. A particularly interesting feature was this thing in
the ceiling, directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

It's a paint can nailed to the ceiling.
Obviously

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message ...

"nemo" wrote in message
We recently stayed in a holiday bungalow in Suffolk which had many quirks
in its construction. A particularly interesting feature was this thing in
the ceiling, directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

It's a paint can nailed to the ceiling.
Obviously

Housing for a web cam - haven't you seen your streaming video, you're quite
a star

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 12:43:31 on Sun, 12 Jul
2015, nemo remarked:
Do all oil boilers smell so strongly of diesel? If our gas boiler
smelled at all of gas I'd be very worried.

Many do smell of diesel, because even a small leak (and after it's
fixed) the stuff lurks around. Unlike gas which disperses in minutes.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:09:56 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

The only thing wrong with that picture is that it looks wrong for a
stove pipe, being seamed from sheet.

Single wall rolled steel sheet stove pipe is just like that, not all
stove pipes are enamalled cast iron.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 12:43:31 +0100, nemo wrote:

[1] Do all oil boilers smell so strongly of diesel?

Diesel? Not many oil boilers about that run on diesel, most run on
kerosene. Different smell but still quite niffy. Niether are overly
volatile so small spills or drips when servicing hang about. I'd be
more worried about smelling the flue gases, very different odour.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2015 19:14, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 12:43:31 +0100, nemo wrote:

[1] Do all oil boilers smell so strongly of diesel?

Diesel? Not many oil boilers about that run on diesel, most run on
kerosene. Different smell but still quite niffy. Niether are overly
volatile so small spills or drips when servicing hang about. I'd be
more worried about smelling the flue gases, very different odour.

Similar enough stink to my nose to the smell at filling stations, but
I'll take your word for it. Key message is: best not to install such a
smelly device in a cupboard in the lounge or other living area.

At least there was a CO monitor in the lounge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2015 08:10, News wrote:
In message , nemo
writes
directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

A useful handhold whilst working your way through Kama Sutra?

Still stuck at Missionary Position #001 here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nemo" wrote in message
On 12/07/2015 08:10, News wrote:
In message , nemo
writes
directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iiiey422znr3nq/IMG_0130.jpg?dl=0

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

A useful handhold whilst working your way through Kama Sutra?

Still stuck at Missionary Position #001 here.

If you get stuck, you're doing it wrong.