Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building a room in a loft

A friend of mine has a flat in the top floor of a large Victorian house. There's a big loft above the flat that's accessed by a loft hatch in the hall, which is in the centre of the flat and under the point where the roof it at its maximum height.

The loft is horribly mucky with 120 years worth of dust and grit on the floor.

My friend wants to create a "walk in wardrobe" in the loft ie put in a decent wooden loft ladder and build a "room" centred on the loft hatch and effectively sealed from the dirty loft and entered via the loft hatch.

I envisage putting some kind of floor down and making a cube shaped wooden framework to which plasterboard could be attached, we'd then probably get it skimmed paint it. There'd be a light and a hatch in the wall to give access to the rest of the loft should it be needed.

The sides of the cube would be about three metres and the height whatever we can fit in under the roof.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas welcome - particularly on constructing the walls of the room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leasehold or freehold?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 July 2015 20:31:56 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Leasehold or freehold?

Jim K

Freehold
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 July 2015 20:02:55 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
[...]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Partition_Wall

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Freehold/q

Of the whole building or the flat?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2015 20:02, Murmansk wrote:
[...]

A good opportunity to get some insulation between the rafters. Victorian
conversions are often lacking in this respect
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pcb1962 wrote:

Freehold

Unlikely

Scotland?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2015 09:05, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/07/15 23:06, pcb1962 wrote:
On 10/07/15 20:52, Murmansk wrote:
On Friday, 10 July 2015 20:31:56 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Leasehold or freehold?

Jim K

Freehold

Unlikely

Shared freehold probably

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/15 09:10, stuart noble wrote:
On 11/07/2015 09:05, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/07/15 23:06, pcb1962 wrote:
On 10/07/15 20:52, Murmansk wrote:
On Friday, 10 July 2015 20:31:56 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Leasehold or freehold?

Jim K

Freehold

Unlikely

Shared freehold probably

The main question is "who owns the roofspace" and "what permissions are
needed to modify building structure and layout"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk" wrote in message
[...]

Unless you use plenty of insulation, it will be an oven in summer and a
freezer in winter.

The 'floor' joists, which are in fact ceiling joists now, may not be strong
enough to take the weight of this room, you'll need to assess this before
anything else gets done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/The main question is "who owns the roofspace" and "what permissions are
needed to modify building structure and layout"? /Q

Aye, or och aye....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The ceiling is unlikely to be strong enough to become a floor (depending if there are any partition walls beneath to support it)
One way to strengthen it up is to put in hangers from the purlins to an additional "cross rafters" secured to the existing "ceiling joists.".

Dunno what the position is regarding other inhabitants.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2015 18:34, harry wrote:
On Friday, 10 July 2015 20:02:55 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
A friend of mine has a flat in the top floor of a large Victorian house. There's a big loft above the flat that's accessed by a loft hatch in the hall, which is in the centre of the flat and under the point where the roof it at its maximum height.

The ceiling is unlikely to be strong enough to become a floor (depending if there are any partition walls beneath to support it)
One way to strengthen it up is to put in hangers from the purlins to an additional "cross rafters" secured to the existing "ceiling joists.".

If it has got a loft hatch (and especially if there was once a cold
water tank in there) it's reasonable to assume that the joists will take
the weight of a single person. If it's really going to be a walk in
wardrobe, not a store for heavy stuff, I don't think you are likely to
have a problem with loading. Timber was cheap in Victorian times and I
would expect the ceiling joists to be quite meaty. That's not to say it
is not worth thinking about whether there are supporting walls etc
because the ceiling may develop cracks if there are excessive
deflections under load.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 11/07/2015 18:34, harry wrote:
On Friday, 10 July 2015 20:02:55 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
A friend of mine has a flat in the top floor of a large Victorian house.
There's a big loft above the flat that's accessed by a loft hatch in the
hall, which is in the centre of the flat and under the point where the
roof it at its maximum height.

The ceiling is unlikely to be strong enough to become a floor (depending
if there are any partition walls beneath to support it)
One way to strengthen it up is to put in hangers from the purlins to an
additional "cross rafters" secured to the existing "ceiling joists.".

If it has got a loft hatch (and especially if there was once a cold water
tank in there) it's reasonable to assume that the joists will take the
weight of a single person.

Snip

A single person and all the timbers for the walls
And the plasterboards
And the floorboards
And any drawers or other furniture that may end up in there
And the clothes, shoes and assorted junk that will inevitably accumulate
there once it's built.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
On 11/07/2015 18:34, harry wrote:
On Friday, 10 July 2015 20:02:55 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
A friend of mine has a flat in the top floor of a large Victorian
house. There's a big loft above the flat that's accessed by a loft
hatch in the hall, which is in the centre of the flat and under the
point where the roof it at its maximum height.

The ceiling is unlikely to be strong enough to become a floor
(depending if there are any partition walls beneath to support it)
One way to strengthen it up is to put in hangers from the purlins to
an additional "cross rafters" secured to the existing "ceiling joists.".

If it has got a loft hatch (and especially if there was once a cold
water tank in there)

Our cold water tanks are on a platform supported between the chimney
stack and the outer wall of the house. Just as well there is about 1000L
up there.

it's reasonable to assume that the joists will take the weight of a
single person. If it's really going to be a walk in wardrobe, not a
store for heavy stuff, I don't think you are likely to have a problem
with loading. Timber was cheap in Victorian times and I would expect
the ceiling joists to be quite meaty.

Nothing particularly meaty about our ceiling joists - sure they support
the weight of a person - but that's not saying much..

That's not to say it is not worth thinking about whether there are
supporting walls etc because the ceiling may develop cracks if there
are excessive deflections under load.

Ours all have cracks (and/or Artex ) and tend to sag bit etc. - just
becuase they have been up ther for a long time I think

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Leaving aside all the complicated stuff about whether you are allowed to
do it and whether the joists are strong enough, I have a question.

Instead of building a room that you have to climb up to, why not build
cupboards that move up and down? That way, the user stays downstairs,
presses a button (say), and his wardrobes descend to him.

The gap between joists is rather small, so you might need to take part
of one out and strengthen the neighbours accordingly.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 20:18:55 +0100, ARW wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
Leaving aside all the complicated stuff about whether you are allowed
to do it and whether the joists are strong enough, I have a question.

Instead of building a room that you have to climb up to, why not build
cupboards that move up and down?

A lift?

I'm reminded of Stirling Moss's kitchen and dining room...

http://nickrileyarchitect.com/2013/0...-house-of-sir-
stirling-moss/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I'm reminded of Stirling Moss's kitchen and dining room...

http://nickrileyarchitect.com/2013/0...-house-of-sir-
stirling-moss/

Not without its risks though:

http://gu.com/p/2fet2/sbl

"Sir Stirling Moss recovering in hospital after fall down lift
shaft

Having survived several crashes, including the one that forced
his premature retirement from motor sport in 1962, Sir Stirling
Moss's powers of recovery are undergoing another stern test
following a potentially lethal accident at his home.

Moss, 80, suffered two broken ankles, four broken bones in his
foot, skin abrasions and four chipped vertebrae when he fell down
three floors of a lift shaft in his town house in Mayfair.

A statement from the Moss family said: "The door to the lift,
that should have remained locked if the lift was not on the floor
that it was called from, opened in error. He stepped into the
narrow open shaft in the expectation that the lift would be
present for him to walk into, as it should have been.""

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Insulating Loft Room neil UK diy 0 September 27th 10 02:20 AM
Insulating Loft Room Martin Bonner UK diy 0 September 22nd 10 03:28 PM
Loft Room DOB UK diy 5 December 29th 06 11:19 PM
Any Advice on Building an 8x8 Room Inside a Loft in an Old Factory [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 24th 06 10:33 PM
Converting a loft into a new room, Bit By Bit GarryNutter UK diy 14 April 11th 06 10:00 PM