Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air BnB

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at
00:38:18 on Thu, 2 Jul 2015, fred remarked:
Lots of the usual internet scare stories out there but has anyone personal
experience and how did they find it ?

I've used it once and it was good. Turned out to be an upmarket
professional B&B (rather than someone with a spare room, which I think is
more common), and the proprietor had recently given up all other forms of
advertising as they were getting sufficient business from the one site.

since it went "up market" it now seems to be exclusively "professional"
B&B's charging commercial rates

The days when it was "spare rooms for 20 quid a night" has long gone

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/15 22:17, tim..... wrote:

since it went "up market" it now seems to be exclusively "professional"
B&B's charging commercial rates

The days when it was "spare rooms for 20 quid a night" has long gone

Reminds me rather of ebay. From flea-market to professional store front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 10:25:07 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/07/15 22:17, tim..... wrote:

since it went "up market" it now seems to be exclusively "professional"
B&B's charging commercial rates

The days when it was "spare rooms for 20 quid a night" has long gone

Reminds me rather of ebay. From flea-market to professional store front.

Except their search engine is ****e
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/15 22:17, tim..... wrote:

since it went "up market" it now seems to be exclusively "professional"
B&B's charging commercial rates

The days when it was "spare rooms for 20 quid a night" has long gone

Reminds me rather of ebay. From flea-market to professional store front.

Except their search engine is ****e

True - Amazon at least have a search engine that admits "we are a store
front" and lets you add various parametric search terms, which get very
specific for certain types of goods.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/15 22:17, tim..... wrote:

since it went "up market" it now seems to be exclusively "professional"
B&B's charging commercial rates

The days when it was "spare rooms for 20 quid a night" has long gone

Reminds me rather of ebay. From flea-market to professional store front.

Except their search engine is ****e

True - Amazon at least have a search engine that admits "we are a store
front" and lets you add various parametric search terms, which get very
specific for certain types of goods.

But is completely ****ed because you can't sort the results unless
you specify a category and just ignores the keywords you include
with quite a few of the hits and you can't specify whether to search
just the title or the entire ad and doesn’t include the postal cost in
the results most of the time either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/15 20:58, ratsack wrote:

But is completely ****ed because you can't sort the results unless
you specify a category

I'll give you that - it is annoying.

If something fits cleanly into a category like "USB stick", Amazon is
great - full parametric searching.

But it is a PITA when something just doesn't and spreads over umpteen
top level categories.

But I still think it's better than ebay...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/15 22:17, tim..... wrote:

since it went "up market" it now seems to be exclusively "professional"
B&B's charging commercial rates

The days when it was "spare rooms for 20 quid a night" has long gone

Reminds me rather of ebay. From flea-market to professional store front.

Except their search engine is ****e

Leaves Amazon's and AliExpress for dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/15 22:17, tim..... wrote:

since it went "up market" it now seems to be exclusively
"professional"
B&B's charging commercial rates

The days when it was "spare rooms for 20 quid a night" has long gone

Reminds me rather of ebay. From flea-market to professional store front.

Except their search engine is ****e

Leaves Amazon's and AliExpress for dead.

Dunno about Ali but how can you say Amazon's search is beaten by ebay?
Ebay has nowhere near the level of searching features Amazon has.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

On 03/07/15 22:17, tim..... wrote:

since it went "up market" it now seems to be exclusively
"professional"
B&B's charging commercial rates

The days when it was "spare rooms for 20 quid a night" has long gone

Reminds me rather of ebay. From flea-market to professional store
front.

Except their search engine is ****e

Leaves Amazon's and AliExpress for dead.

Dunno about Ali but how can you say Amazon's search is beaten by ebay?

Yes, particularly in that Amazon just ignores search keywords when
you have more than one, you can't sort unless you specify the category
and it doesn’t show the postal cost in the hits list for delivery outside
the UK.

Ebay has nowhere near the level of searching features Amazon has.

But doesn’t have those problems.

Show me an Amazon search which produces JUST flannelette
fitted king sized sheets with solid colours sorted by total price.