Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Joists

On Tuesday, 5 December 2000 08:00:00 UTC, Mark Herrick wrote:
Hi,

I need to replace some rotten floor joists in the ground floor of my
house. The joists have rotted at the end where they meet a concrete
floored extension that has been (badly) built onto the house. There is
a sleeper wall about 1.2m away from the rotten end of the joists.
We're in the process of fixing the cause of the rot, but I need some
advice on replacing the joists.

Here's my plan... Lop the end off of the old joists close to the
sleeper wall. Lay the new joists on the sleeper wall next to the old
joists and bolt them together.

Here are the questions...
1. How do I drill the old joists for bolting? My drill won't fit into
the 1' or so gap between joists

2. How do I bolt them together - what size bolts? Anything special
required?

3. What type of wood do I need for the new joists? Treatments?

4. I've been told I can buy "Socks" to put over the ends of the joists
to help prevent future damp problems. What do I need to ask for at my
local timber yard/builder merchants?

TIA.

Mark Herrick.

Of cause you need socks on the end of joists to stop the rot you idiot
Posted to uk.d-i-y

**** off back under your rock you stupid ****

Joists The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 8 June 7th 10 01:44 AM
Must 10/2MC run through joists? Toller Home Repair 7 December 10th 06 10:05 PM
cut into joists dundonald UK diy 33 April 26th 04 11:48 PM
Joists. Michael McNeil UK diy 4 February 29th 04 07:28 AM
Replacing damaged joists DjB UK diy 14 July 16th 03 12:42 PM