DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pressure washer (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/381044-pressure-washer.html)

Mr Pounder Esquire May 27th 15 08:59 PM

Pressure washer

I have a Hozelock Compact Pressure Washer 100. It's about 4 years old and
only gets used once per year to blast the driveway at Pounder Towers.
I've forgotten how much it cost, but I don't think it was much.
Today I noticed that when the trigger on the gun is released the motor was
still running. It should turn off ........ I've RTFM.
It's no big deal as I just turn it off on the switch, I don't leave it
running when I go for a fag.
If I have a look inside, has anybody got any idea of what I should be
looking for?
I've emailed Hozelock, but I've a good idea of what they are going to say

Taa

Roger Mills[_2_] May 27th 15 09:20 PM

Pressure washer

On 27/05/2015 20:59, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I have a Hozelock Compact Pressure Washer 100. It's about 4 years old and
only gets used once per year to blast the driveway at Pounder Towers.
I've forgotten how much it cost, but I don't think it was much.
Today I noticed that when the trigger on the gun is released the motor was
still running. It should turn off ........ I've RTFM.
It's no big deal as I just turn it off on the switch, I don't leave it
running when I go for a fag.
If I have a look inside, has anybody got any idea of what I should be
looking for?
I've emailed Hozelock, but I've a good idea of what they are going to say

Taa

The motor is wired through a pressure switch, and switches off - or
should do! - when the target pressure is reached.

So either the pressure switch has failed closed, or the target pressure
isn't being achieved - possibly because of an internal leak.
--
Cheers,
Roger

harryagain[_2_] May 28th 15 12:35 AM

Pressure washer

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
I have a Hozelock Compact Pressure Washer 100. It's about 4 years old and
only gets used once per year to blast the driveway at Pounder Towers.
I've forgotten how much it cost, but I don't think it was much.
Today I noticed that when the trigger on the gun is released the motor was
still running. It should turn off ........ I've RTFM.
It's no big deal as I just turn it off on the switch, I don't leave it
running when I go for a fag.
If I have a look inside, has anybody got any idea of what I should be
looking for?
I've emailed Hozelock, but I've a good idea of what they are going to say

These pressure washers are positive displacement pumps.
So, if it still runs when the outlet vleve is shut, there must be a bypass
valve as last ditch pump moter protection.

So, either ther pressure switch that should turn it off is faulty. (And
bypass valve is lifting)
Or
The by-pass valve is faulty. Ie Passing water at too low a pressure. Valve
seat knackered sort of thing.

Pressure switch seems more likely.

Mr Pounder Esquire May 28th 15 02:34 PM

Pressure washer

"harryagain" wrote in message

[...]

Cheers Harry.
It sounds like the valve.
As this thing looks like a pig to take apart and Hozelock seem to have a
reputation for not supplying parts, I'll just keep turning off on the
switch.

Thanks for the heads up.

David Lang May 28th 15 05:39 PM

Pressure washer

On 28/05/2015 14:34, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
I have a Hozelock Compact Pressure Washer 100. It's about 4 years old and
only gets used once per year to blast the driveway at Pounder Towers.
I've forgotten how much it cost, but I don't think it was much.
Today I noticed that when the trigger on the gun is released the motor
was still running. It should turn off ........ I've RTFM.
It's no big deal as I just turn it off on the switch, I don't leave it
running when I go for a fag.
If I have a look inside, has anybody got any idea of what I should be
looking for?
I've emailed Hozelock, but I've a good idea of what they are going to say

These pressure washers are positive displacement pumps.
So, if it still runs when the outlet vleve is shut, there must be a bypass
valve as last ditch pump moter protection.

Unlikely on a cheap machine. Possible, but unlikely.

So, either ther pressure switch that should turn it off is faulty. (And
bypass valve is lifting)
Or
The by-pass valve is faulty. Ie Passing water at too low a pressure. Valve
seat knackered sort of thing.

Pressure switch seems more likely.

Obvious fault would be a leak in the high pressure side. O ring or
something.

Mr Pounder Esquire May 28th 15 07:56 PM

Pressure washer

"David Lang" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it probably will be an 0 ring. I'll leave it be as I could well cock
the thing up taking it apart.