DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sky box and Wireless vs Wired Connection (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/381042-sky-box-wireless-vs-wired-connection.html)

Dennis@home May 27th 15 08:30 PM

Sky box and Wireless vs Wired Connection

On 27/05/2015 19:34, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

A colleague of mine has been advised to connect his Sky box via
wireless to his router rather than cable! Apparently his speed
has improved significantly as a result.

Now we are talking about Kingston Communications here, practically
the only option for broadband in Hull.

Don't know the router type, but the broadband connection is via
KC's fibre to the home offering called light stream. The user has
a new Sky box with built in wireless card. He has tried different
cable to link the devices with no change. So anyone hazard a
guess why wireless should be faster than hard wired?

Thanks

Phil

He's got a crappy switch in there somewhere.

Nemo May 27th 15 08:35 PM

Sky box and Wireless vs Wired Connection

On 27/05/2015 19:34, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

A colleague of mine has been advised to connect his Sky box via
wireless to his router rather than cable! Apparently his speed
has improved significantly as a result.

Now we are talking about Kingston Communications here, practically
the only option for broadband in Hull.

Don't know the router type, but the broadband connection is via
KC's fibre to the home offering called light stream. The user has
a new Sky box with built in wireless card. He has tried different
cable to link the devices with no change. So anyone hazard a
guess why wireless should be faster than hard wired?

Thanks

Phil

Depends on the specs of the Ethernet and Wifi interfaces of the two devices.

Graham.[_5_] May 27th 15 10:06 PM

Sky box and Wireless vs Wired Connection

On Wed, 27 May 2015 21:35:39 +0100 (GMT+01:00), TheChief
wrote:

"dennis@home" Wrote in message:
On 27/05/2015 19:34, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

A colleague of mine has been advised to connect his Sky box via
wireless to his router rather than cable! Apparently his speed
has improved significantly as a result.

Now we are talking about Kingston Communications here, practically
the only option for broadband in Hull.

Don't know the router type, but the broadband connection is via
KC's fibre to the home offering called light stream. The user has
a new Sky box with built in wireless card. He has tried different
cable to link the devices with no change. So anyone hazard a
guess why wireless should be faster than hard wired?

Thanks

Phil

He's got a crappy switch in there somewhere.

I think his understanding of the setup is reasonable and he says
the link is direct from Sky box to router.

How is he measuring the throughput on the wired and wireless link
between the router and Sky box?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Tricky Dicky[_4_] May 28th 15 06:16 AM

Sky box and Wireless vs Wired Connection

I have found the opposite we initially used wireless, our sky box does not have the built in wireless circuitry so had to use the Sky wireless interface. Following some electrical work when I took the opportunity to lay in some Cat5, we have used direct wired. Since changing we have noticed that downloads appear available much quicker even HD. I have not actually measured the speed just an observation. We have Sky fibre which uses BT's fibre network we do not get the full 35 Mbyte downstream but on average it is in the mid 20's.

Richard

Brian-Gaff May 28th 15 07:38 AM

Sky box and Wireless vs Wired Connection

I don't see it, at least in the rest of my world wireless is inferior due to
the cluttered wireless bands in built up areas causing interference unless
you ar within ten foot of the router!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

tony sayer May 28th 15 08:36 PM

Sky box and Wireless vs Wired Connection

In article , Brian-Gaff
scribeth thus
I don't see it, at least in the rest of my world wireless is inferior due to
the cluttered wireless bands in built up areas causing interference unless
you ar within ten foot of the router!
Brian

Wonder if its using 5.8 Ghz thats nowhere near as cluttered as the usual
2.4 GHz...
--
Tony Sayer

John Rumm May 29th 15 12:07 AM

Sky box and Wireless vs Wired Connection

On 27/05/2015 19:34, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

A colleague of mine has been advised to connect his Sky box via
wireless to his router rather than cable! Apparently his speed
has improved significantly as a result.

Most likely explanation would be crap firmware (or even design) in the
router or possibly the sky box.

While there are a few circumstances where the latest 80.11n or ac
wireless hardware in non congested environments might be able to outpace
10/00 ethernet, its not going to be the normal outcome.

Now we are talking about Kingston Communications here, practically
the only option for broadband in Hull.

Don't know the router type, but the broadband connection is via
KC's fibre to the home offering called light stream. The user has
a new Sky box with built in wireless card. He has tried different
cable to link the devices with no change. So anyone hazard a
guess why wireless should be faster than hard wired?

Thanks

Phil

--
Cheers,

John.

TheChief August 26th 15 11:21 PM

nemo Wrote in message:
On 27/05/2015 19:34, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

A colleague of mine has been advised to connect his Sky box via
wireless to his router rather than cable! Apparently his speed
has improved significantly as a result.

Now we are talking about Kingston Communications here, practically
the only option for broadband in Hull.

Don't know the router type, but the broadband connection is via
KC's fibre to the home offering called light stream. The user has
a new Sky box with built in wireless card. He has tried different
cable to link the devices with no change. So anyone hazard a
guess why wireless should be faster than hard wired?

Thanks

Phil

Depends on the specs of the Ethernet and Wifi interfaces of the two devices.

Possibly, but the usual advice when trouble shooting these issues
is to connect via cable for best performance.

He's talking to KC on this but having dealt with their front line
droids, I don't hold out too much hope.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

TheChief August 26th 15 11:21 PM

wrote:

[...]

This is based on the time to download a film on Sky. It is slower
than his previous ADSL connection.
A colleague has the same lightstream install and gets massively
better performance on wireless than the complainant is getting on
wired connection.
Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

TheChief August 26th 15 11:21 PM

"Brian-Gaff" Wrote in message:
I don't see it, at least in the rest of my world wireless is inferior due to
the cluttered wireless bands in built up areas causing interference unless
you ar within ten foot of the router!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"TheChief" wrote in message
Hi all

A colleague of mine has been advised to connect his Sky box via
wireless to his router rather than cable! Apparently his speed
has improved significantly as a result.

Now we are talking about Kingston Communications here, practically
the only option for broadband in Hull.

Don't know the router type, but the broadband connection is via
KC's fibre to the home offering called light stream. The user has
a new Sky box with built in wireless card. He has tried different
cable to link the devices with no change. So anyone hazard a
guess why wireless should be faster than hard wired?

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

He is within 10 foot of the router, but I would still expect
wireless to be slower due to the overhead of wireless
protocols.
Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----