Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Email from BT

Got a slightly strange email from BT

"It doesn't look like you're getting the best from your wireless
connection, so we'd like to help you make it better. "

Which was odd, as I've not really noticed any difference between those
bits which are Wi-Fi connected and those which are cable.

So I used the BT test.

Laptop - which is my newest computer and Wi-Fi gave:-

34.5 Mbps download
7.9 upload

Desktop PC (cabled) gave:-

16.1 download
7.9 upload.

In both cases speed from exchange to BT hub, 39.8 Mbps. I have fibre to
the end of the road, and overhead copper to the house.

So just what are they on about?

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So just what are they on about?

They want to sell you something not based on fact ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

So just what are they on about?

They want to sell you something not based on fact ......

That's what I'd normally think too - but only links to hints and tips.

--
*A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 May 2015 17:13:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Got a slightly strange email from BT

"It doesn't look like you're getting the best from your wireless
connection, so we'd like to help you make it better. "

Which was odd, as I've not really noticed any difference between those
bits which are Wi-Fi connected and those which are cable.

So I used the BT test.

Laptop - which is my newest computer and Wi-Fi gave:-

34.5 Mbps download
7.9 upload

Desktop PC (cabled) gave:-

16.1 download
7.9 upload.

In both cases speed from exchange to BT hub, 39.8 Mbps. I have fibre to
the end of the road, and overhead copper to the house.

So just what are they on about?

It's what marketing people call a speculative approach.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

So just what are they on about?

They want to sell you something not based on fact ......

That's what I'd normally think too - but only links to hints and tips.

They've probably been casting an envious eye on the Barclays' TV ads

http://www.barclays.co.uk/DigitalEagles/P1242671738729

Which in Barclays' case is presumably a vain attempt to distract
attention from all the branch and counter closures.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

So just what are they on about?

They want to sell you something not based on fact ......

That's what I'd normally think too - but only links to hints and tips.

They are pretending they care to sell you something in the future .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

So just what are they on about?

They want to sell you something not based on fact ......

That's what I'd normally think too - but only links to hints and tips.

They've probably been casting an envious eye on the Barclays' TV ads

http://www.barclays.co.uk/DigitalEagles/P1242671738729

Which in Barclays' case is presumably a vain attempt to distract
attention from all the branch and counter closures.

michael adams

because people who can't work computers like me will go to a bank with
branches .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
Got a slightly strange email from BT

"It doesn't look like you're getting the best from your wireless
connection, so we'd like to help you make it better. "

Which was odd, as I've not really noticed any difference between those
bits which are Wi-Fi connected and those which are cable.

So I used the BT test.

Laptop - which is my newest computer and Wi-Fi gave:-

34.5 Mbps download
7.9 upload

Desktop PC (cabled) gave:-

16.1 download
7.9 upload.

Whys that slower?.

In both cases speed from exchange to BT hub, 39.8 Mbps. I have fibre to
the end of the road, and overhead copper to the house.

So just what are they on about?

Dunno but that doesn't seem all that fast, how far away is the
cabinet?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
Got a slightly strange email from BT

"It doesn't look like you're getting the best from your wireless
connection, so we'd like to help you make it better. "

Which was odd, as I've not really noticed any difference between those
bits which are Wi-Fi connected and those which are cable.

So I used the BT test.

Laptop - which is my newest computer and Wi-Fi gave:-

34.5 Mbps download
7.9 upload

Desktop PC (cabled) gave:-

16.1 download
7.9 upload.

Whys that slower?.

Zactly.
Actually, my Virgin surfing (wifi or cable) is dire but file downloads are
brill, what gives there?
(I'm not surfing for virgins).

In both cases speed from exchange to BT hub, 39.8 Mbps. I have fibre to
the end of the road, and overhead copper to the house.

So just what are they on about?

Dunno but that doesn't seem all that fast, how far away is the
cabinet?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
Got a slightly strange email from BT

"It doesn't look like you're getting the best from your wireless
connection, so we'd like to help you make it better. "

Which was odd, as I've not really noticed any difference between those
bits which are Wi-Fi connected and those which are cable.

So I used the BT test.

Laptop - which is my newest computer and Wi-Fi gave:-

34.5 Mbps download
7.9 upload

Desktop PC (cabled) gave:-

16.1 download
7.9 upload.

Whys that slower?.

No idea. Wasn't done at the same time though, obviously. The desktop is
fed from a hub which also feeds this computer and a smart TV. Neither was
switched on during the test. Perhaps I should repeat it with the hub
removed. But it seems ok in practice.

In both cases speed from exchange to BT hub, 39.8 Mbps. I have fibre to
the end of the road, and overhead copper to the house.

So just what are they on about?

Dunno but that doesn't seem all that fast, how far away is the
cabinet?..

About a couple of hundred yards.

--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Got a slightly strange email from BT

"It doesn't look like you're getting the best from your wireless
connection, so we'd like to help you make it better. "

Which was odd, as I've not really noticed any difference between those
bits which are Wi-Fi connected and those which are cable.

So I used the BT test.

Laptop - which is my newest computer and Wi-Fi gave:-

34.5 Mbps download
7.9 upload

Desktop PC (cabled) gave:-

16.1 download
7.9 upload.

In both cases speed from exchange to BT hub, 39.8 Mbps. I have fibre to
the end of the road, and overhead copper to the house.

So just what are they on about?

Some troll unconnected with BT?
I was getting one every day at one point.
Ignored them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/15 23:21, bm wrote:

Zactly.
Actually, my Virgin surfing (wifi or cable) is dire but file downloads are
brill, what gives there?
(I'm not surfing for virgins).

Poor DNS?

Try hardcoding 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS) into your client for a
comparison.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
Probably the email equivalent of a blitz style marketing campaign where
everyone gets the same details in the hope they can flog you another bit
of kit.

It's what I'd have expected, but no. They can't be attempting to sell me
an upgrade as already have the best they offer. I don't think they offer
to run fibre into a single house if it's not already available.

Nor were there any links to a sales pitch - merely to help pages.

It was them saying they'd checked the Wi-Fi speed and it was below par
which intriqued.

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 27/05/15 23:21, bm wrote:

Zactly.
Actually, my Virgin surfing (wifi or cable) is dire but file downloads
are
brill, what gives there?
(I'm not surfing for virgins).

Poor DNS?

Try hardcoding 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS) into your client for a
comparison.

I can't see any diff, Tim.
Most web pages load in fits and starts whereas downloads are like
lightening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/15 14:31, bm wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 27/05/15 23:21, bm wrote:

Zactly.
Actually, my Virgin surfing (wifi or cable) is dire but file downloads
are
brill, what gives there?
(I'm not surfing for virgins).

Poor DNS?

Try hardcoding 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS) into your client for a
comparison.

I can't see any diff, Tim.
Most web pages load in fits and starts whereas downloads are like
lightening.

Your next bet would be to run wireshark on, load some new pages and see
if you can see where the delays are occurring.

Or perhaps Chrome with developer tools enabled?

Next thought is: could be adverts or some other call-backs for site
monitoring?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
[...]

Try it right at the modem before it hits any of you internal LAN
workings. We're on the VM 100 meg service and it is that at the modem
but after a bit of CAT 5 and the network switch and a bit more wire
thats down to 80 ..

Mind you thats fast enough for needs...

In both cases speed from exchange to BT hub, 39.8 Mbps. I have fibre to
the end of the road, and overhead copper to the house.

So just what are they on about?

Dunno but that doesn't seem all that fast, how far away is the
cabinet?..

About a couple of hundred yards.

Should be running faster than that..

Thats if that -is- the supplying cabinet..

--
Tony Sayer

Can you believe this email geoff UK diy 49 December 11th 10 11:54 PM
Way OT - I got email from the FBI! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 9 May 26th 10 11:35 PM
Lib's email rmorton Home Repair 1 October 4th 07 02:01 PM
email extractor , site , solutions , email based marketing , email marketing solution , email extractor , newsletter software , mass email , e-mail marketing , email marketing solutions , bulk email software , web advertising , email marketing , mark Nuclear Incorporation. www.nuclear-inc.com UK diy 0 April 5th 07 09:31 PM
Lost my all my email and change of email addy Grant Erwin Metalworking 2 August 14th 03 11:30 PM