DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT - the evolving English language (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/380940-re-ot-evolving-english-language.html)

Phil L May 19th 15 03:07 PM

OT - the evolving English language

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 18/05/15 20:14, Jonno wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4pJAgWIUAEZb7p.jpg

I'm going to start a campaign to put the "ph" back into sulphur.

I'd also like to put the **** back into S****horpe but I think he managed
that by himself...

There's two words that are known and used in this town (St Helens) by almost
everyone, but practically no one else has ever heard of them:

Clauped

Bortered

They both have similar meanings, Clauped means to put something on very
thickly, eg: 'Don't claup the butter on that toast, there'll be none left
for your sandwiches'.

Bortered means covered in, eg: 'They've been playing rugby in the rain and
they're bortered in mud'

Sometimes you'll hear them used together:

'I told him to paint the fence, but he clauped it on and he's bortered in
it'

Ian Jackson[_2_] May 19th 15 03:15 PM

OT - the evolving English language

In message , Phil L
writes

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 18/05/15 20:14, Jonno wrote:

[...]

Weird, local, dialect words are definitely OT in this already OT thread!

--
Ian

Tim+[_2_] May 19th 15 10:56 PM

OT - the evolving English language

[...]