PoP

Default Choice of garage heater

I'm in the market for getting a decent heater for my garage, which
isn't particularly well insulated - that's a separate issue. For now I
just want to know which type of heater I should be considering to keep
me warm if I'm doing some odd jobs in the garage.

TLC Direct sell several different types of heater as follows.

Ceramic. 2Kw and 3Kw models available.

Fan heater. 3Kw model.

Quartz. 1500w and 3Kw.

I'm tempted by the fan heater (model BN 707) as it would give instant
heat flow via an airstream - and happens to be rather cheaper than
ceramic or quartz.

What I'm keen to avoid is a source of heat which could potentially
sear anything which was too close - I know a 3Kw fan heater isn't
going to be kind to anything which gets in its way, but bear in mind
that garages tend to have various chemicals and other combustible
materials.

Probably a silly question, but you know me

PoP

Terry

PoP wrote:

I'm in the market for getting a decent heater for my garage, which
isn't particularly well insulated - that's a separate issue. For now I
just want to know which type of heater I should be considering to keep
me warm if I'm doing some odd jobs in the garage.

We use an old (30+ years etc.) 230 volt 3.5 kilowatt blower
heater in our approx. 12 x 17 foot garage, attached but not
insulated, garage. The heater is permanently screwed to wall
about 5 feet up to get it off the floor and out of the way . It
hinges up and down to some extent on its mounting but not
sideways. It is 'adequate' when it is not too cold. We have a
second, identical one, normally mounted on the the ceiling of our
basement workshop, which we can plug in and stand on the floor
directed towards the work area. Neither heater glows red or seems
in any way to get hot enough to cause combustion. The heaters are
equipped with an 'overheat' switch which is a bit remarkable for
such old units. We use them with care of course; in the event of
say the most volatile, a petrol/gasoline, spill the garage door
is immediately opened for ventilation and personal safety.
Terry.

Capitol

Personally, I prefer extending the central heating. Surplus used radiators
are in plentiful supply. Doesn't make the place wonderfully warm, but
removes the chill. Roof and wall insulation can be as little as 1" of
glassfibre etc below a retaining liner. A small fan heater then works
wonders given a couple of hours start. If you have enough space to actually
get the car in as well, then the benefits on a cold winter morning can
really be enjoyed.
Regards
Capitol

"Terry" wrote in message
PoP wrote:

[...]

Garage Conversion Martin Carroll UK diy 1 October 14th 03 01:52 AM
Simple electrics help Skirrow UK diy 11 October 8th 03 09:41 PM
Power to Garage and Shed/workshop Eric the Red UK diy 3 August 29th 03 06:22 PM
Garage door opener for side hung doors. David W.E. Roberts UK diy 3 August 9th 03 06:20 PM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM