DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wickes timber (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/380245-wickes-timber.html)

GMM[_4_] March 7th 15 06:47 PM

Wickes timber

Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out but if they have, I
haven't spotted it.

My local Wickes has piles of half-price timber around the place. When I
asked the blokey, he said they are changing the range (which seems a bit
odd) but presumably that means all their branches are flogging stuff off.

I went to buy some gravel boards to lash up some low raised beds in the
garden and came away with treated redwood at a much lower price (£3.30
for each 2.4m length of 144 x 20.5).

Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many pieces
are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

Chris French March 7th 15 06:58 PM

Wickes timber

In message , GMM
writes
Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out but if they have, I
haven't spotted it.

My local Wickes has piles of half-price timber around the place. When
I asked the blokey, he said they are changing the range (which seems a
bit odd) but presumably that means all their branches are flogging
stuff off.

I got the impression that some sizes where going end of line. Eg, I
bought some 3.6m lengths of sawn 4x2 for £4 each last week. There will
still 3m, 1.8m etc. lengths in the racks

I went to buy some gravel boards to lash up some low raised beds in the
garden and came away with treated redwood at a much lower price (£3.30
for each 2.4m length of 144 x 20.5).

Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many
pieces are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

No, but it fits on the roofbars :-)

--
Chris French

Capitol March 7th 15 09:16 PM

Wickes timber

GMM wrote:
Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out but if they have, I
haven't spotted it.

My local Wickes has piles of half-price timber around the place. When I
asked the blokey, he said they are changing the range (which seems a bit
odd) but presumably that means all their branches are flogging stuff off.

I went to buy some gravel boards to lash up some low raised beds in the
garden and came away with treated redwood at a much lower price (£3.30
for each 2.4m length of 144 x 20.5).

Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many pieces
are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

Don't you have a rain roof?

Sam Plusnet March 7th 15 09:39 PM

Wickes timber

In article , says...

Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out but if they have, I
haven't spotted it.

My local Wickes has piles of half-price timber around the place. When I
asked the blokey, he said they are changing the range (which seems a bit
odd) but presumably that means all their branches are flogging stuff off.

I went to buy some gravel boards to lash up some low raised beds in the
garden and came away with treated redwood at a much lower price (£3.30
for each 2.4m length of 144 x 20.5).

Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many pieces
are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

Past its sell-by date?

--
Sam

Chris French March 7th 15 10:58 PM

Wickes timber

In message , Capitol
writes
GMM wrote:
Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out but if they have, I
haven't spotted it.

My local Wickes has piles of half-price timber around the place. When I
asked the blokey, he said they are changing the range (which seems a bit
odd) but presumably that means all their branches are flogging stuff off.

I went to buy some gravel boards to lash up some low raised beds in the
garden and came away with treated redwood at a much lower price (£3.30
for each 2.4m length of 144 x 20.5).

Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many pieces
are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

Don't you have a rain roof?

Modern cars with air con don't tend to have sun roofs
--
Chris French

Andy Burns[_9_] March 7th 15 11:09 PM

Wickes timber

Chris French wrote:

Modern cars with air con don't tend to have sun roofs

My last three cars have had both, the current one admittedly because I
specced it that way ...

Bill Wright[_2_] March 8th 15 01:07 AM

Wickes timber

Chris French wrote:

Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many
pieces are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

No, but it fits on the roofbars :-)

Or in the back of the van.

Bill

Bill Wright[_2_] March 8th 15 01:08 AM

Wickes timber

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris French wrote:

Modern cars with air con don't tend to have sun roofs

My last three cars have had both, the current one admittedly because I
specced it that way ...

If I only had one vehicle it would be a transit van. Cars are just
stupid unless you're a girlie.

Bill

Chris French March 8th 15 01:10 AM

Wickes timber

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Chris French wrote:

Modern cars with air con don't tend to have sun roofs

My last three cars have had both, the current one admittedly because I
specced it that way ...

Yes, yes, I know that some do, or can have them as an option, that's why
I said 'tend to'.

--
Chris French

Tough Guy no. 1265 March 8th 15 01:11 AM

Wickes timber

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 22:58:57 -0000, Chris French wrote:

In message , Capitol
writes
GMM wrote:
Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out but if they have, I
haven't spotted it.

My local Wickes has piles of half-price timber around the place. When I
asked the blokey, he said they are changing the range (which seems a bit
odd) but presumably that means all their branches are flogging stuff off.

I went to buy some gravel boards to lash up some low raised beds in the
garden and came away with treated redwood at a much lower price (£3.30
for each 2.4m length of 144 x 20.5).

Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many pieces
are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

Don't you have a rain roof?

Modern cars with air con don't tend to have sun roofs

What have those two to do with each other?

--
When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her.

F Murtz March 8th 15 03:02 AM

Wickes timber

GMM wrote:
Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out but if they have, I
haven't spotted it.

My local Wickes has piles of half-price timber around the place. When I
asked the blokey, he said they are changing the range (which seems a bit
odd) but presumably that means all their branches are flogging stuff off.

I went to buy some gravel boards to lash up some low raised beds in the
garden and came away with treated redwood at a much lower price (£3.30
for each 2.4m length of 144 x 20.5).

Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many pieces
are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

Fits in my car,through a ole in the back seat.

Dave Plowman (News) March 8th 15 12:04 PM

Wickes timber

In article ,
GMM wrote:
Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many pieces
are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

Last time I looked at Wicks timber, by the time you'd sawed the bent bits
off, it would easily fit the car...

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Bill March 8th 15 12:12 PM

Wickes timber

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
GMM wrote:
Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a
mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many pieces
are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

Last time I looked at Wicks timber, by the time you'd sawed the bent bits
off, it would easily fit the car...

Last time I bought some from Wickes, a long time ago, I had a good pile
of kindling for the fire. Their timber has always been at the lower end
of the quality list. Good for basic jobs, but not where accuracy and a
good finish is required. That's what decent timber merchants are for.

--
Bill

Andy Burns[_9_] March 8th 15 12:41 PM

Wickes timber

Bill wrote:

Last time I bought some from Wickes, a long time ago, I had a good pile
of kindling for the fire.

I usually take about twice the quantity I need out of the racks, lay it
on the floor to check for straightness, and chuck the banana wood back
into the rack.

Stuart Noble March 8th 15 01:44 PM

Wickes timber

Bill wrote:

Last time I bought some from Wickes, a long time ago, I had a good pile
of kindling for the fire.

I usually take about twice the quantity I need out of the racks, lay it
on the floor to check for straightness, and chuck the banana wood back
into the rack.

only twice?

NT

My local timber merchant does an excellent budget range of PSE
whitewood, but it's not kept in a heated building. In general the sheds
simply don't have the facilities to store timber properly. Too warm, too
dry

Dave Plowman (News) March 8th 15 02:00 PM

Wickes timber

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Bill wrote:

Last time I bought some from Wickes, a long time ago, I had a good pile
of kindling for the fire.

I usually take about twice the quantity I need out of the racks, lay it
on the floor to check for straightness, and chuck the banana wood back
into the rack.

Last time I looked, that was all that was left. The rejects.

--
*WHOSE CRUEL IDEA WAS IT FOR THE WORD 'LISP' TO HAVE 'S' IN IT?

[email protected] March 8th 15 03:15 PM

Wickes timber

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 2:09:28 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Bill wrote:

Last time I bought some from Wickes, a long time ago, I had a good pile
of kindling for the fire.

I usually take about twice the quantity I need out of the racks, lay it
on the floor to check for straightness, and chuck the banana wood back
into the rack.

Last time I looked, that was all that was left. The rejects.

it too often is. Time before last they put out a new batch for us as we were getting quite a lot, and got lots of great quality stuff. So someone's getting good wood.

NT

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] March 9th 15 12:14 PM

Wickes timber

Chris French wrote on 07/03/2015 :
Modern cars with air con don't tend to have sun roofs

My current one and its predecessor have/had both. I like both.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

RobertL March 9th 15 01:12 PM

Wickes timber

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 1:08:58 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris French wrote:

Modern cars with air con don't tend to have sun roofs

My last three cars have had both, the current one admittedly because I
specced it that way ...

If I only had one vehicle it would be a transit van. Cars are just
stupid unless you're a girlie.

Round here they won't let you take a van in to the dump, but a large estate car is OK.

Robert

The Other Mike[_3_] March 10th 15 03:11 PM

Wickes timber

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 12:41:59 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

I usually take about twice the quantity I need out of the racks, lay it
on the floor to check for straightness, and chuck the banana wood back
into the rack.

How do you know the floor is straight?

Stuart Noble March 10th 15 04:54 PM

Wickes timber

wrote:

I usually take about twice the quantity I need out of the racks, lay it
on the floor to check for straightness, and chuck the banana wood back
into the rack.

How do you know the floor is straight?

Check it with a length of contiboard