DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What finish on Ducal furniture? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/379792-what-finish-ducal-furniture.html)

No Name January 28th 15 08:57 AM

What finish on Ducal furniture?

Some time soon I'm going to need to repair some cat scratches on
DucalPine "Victoria" range furniture - does anybody here know what the
finish is so I can get a reasonable match?

Stuart Noble January 28th 15 09:32 AM

On 28/01/2015 08:57, wrote:
Some time soon I'm going to need to repair some cat scratches on
DucalPine "Victoria" range furniture - does anybody here know what the
finish is so I can get a reasonable match?

No doubt the result of a sophisticated finishing process (RF cured maybe).
Best bet is to massage the area with Briwax original, which contains
(well, USED to contain) enough volatile solvent to cut through most
finishes, and buffs up to a decent shine

No Name January 28th 15 09:40 AM

On 28/01/2015 09:32, stuart noble wrote:
On 28/01/2015 08:57, wrote:
Some time soon I'm going to need to repair some cat scratches on
DucalPine "Victoria" range furniture - does anybody here know what the
finish is so I can get a reasonable match?

No doubt the result of a sophisticated finishing process (RF cured maybe).
Best bet is to massage the area with Briwax original, which contains
(well, USED to contain) enough volatile solvent to cut through most
finishes, and buffs up to a decent shine

I'll try that, but there are areas that will need a good sanding first
so I'll be down to bare wood.

fred[_8_] January 28th 15 11:06 AM

On 28/01/2015 08:57, wrote:
Some time soon I'm going to need to repair some cat scratches on
DucalPine "Victoria" range furniture - does anybody here know what the
finish is so I can get a reasonable match?

No doubt the result of a sophisticated finishing process (RF cured maybe).
Best bet is to massage the area with Briwax original, which contains
(well, USED to contain) enough volatile solvent to cut through most
finishes, and buffs up to a decent shine

I'll try that, but there are areas that will need a good sanding first
so I'll be down to bare wood.

Whatever you go for try it out on a small hidden area first.

Is it highly polished ?

If not I would try coating the bared areas with shellac or sanding sealer. Water based sanding sealer would be the handiest. Then after a light sand down I'd give it a coat of wax applied with wire wool and then plenty of elbow grease for each succeeding coat of wax.

Stuart Noble January 28th 15 05:28 PM

wrote:
Some time soon I'm going to need to repair some cat scratches on
DucalPine "Victoria" range furniture - does anybody here know what the
finish is so I can get a reasonable match?

No doubt the result of a sophisticated finishing process (RF cured
maybe).
Best bet is to massage the area with Briwax original, which contains
(well, USED to contain) enough volatile solvent to cut through most
finishes, and buffs up to a decent shine

I'll try that, but there are areas that will need a good sanding first
so I'll be down to bare wood.

Colour matching bare wood to a factory finish is nigh on impossible.
Usually the worst thing you can do is to apply a stain and hope to clear
varnish over it. I'd try something like this, where the colour is part
of the coating, so should be nearer the mark

http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/interior-varnish

Good luck with picking the right shade though :-)

Frances[_2_] February 22nd 21 07:45 PM

What finish on Ducal furniture?

I have a pine ducal wardrobe which the locking mechanism has broken does anyone know where I could buy a replacement , its actually the piece that the key goes in . It says GOLDIN L on it , thanks in advance

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1022470-.htm

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 22nd 21 08:15 PM

What finish on Ducal furniture?

On 22/02/2021 19:45, Frances wrote:
GOLDIN L

https://www.keysplease.co.uk/AMMEXTR...-Wardrobe-lock

JohnP April 16th 21 01:25 PM

What finish on Ducal furniture?

Frances wrote in
roupdirect.com:

I have a pine ducal wardrobe which the locking mechanism has broken
does anyone know where I could buy a replacement , its actually the
piece that the key goes in . It says GOLDIN L on it , thanks in
advance

Why do you need a lock? Fit a magnetic catch.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) April 17th 21 08:26 AM

What finish on Ducal furniture?

Because when its stuffed with clothes the door will spontaneously open,
usually in the middle of the night and make an aerie creaking noise I
expect, or maybe the parents of kids do not want them fossicing about in
there for various adult or Christmas related reasons. I'm sure I've seen
many simple locks like that advertised but of course it will mean quite a
bit of work fitting a different type to the old one.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
Frances wrote in
roupdirect.com:

Max Demian April 17th 21 11:30 AM

On 17/04/2021 08:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Because when its stuffed with clothes the door will spontaneously open,
usually in the middle of the night and make an aerie creaking noise I
expect, or maybe the parents of kids do not want them fossicing about in
there for various adult or Christmas related reasons. I'm sure I've seen
many simple locks like that advertised but of course it will mean quite a
bit of work fitting a different type to the old one.

Fossick? Have you turned Australian all of a sudden?

--
Max Demian

Rod Speed April 17th 21 09:26 PM

What finish on Ducal furniture?

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 17/04/2021 08:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Because when its stuffed with clothes the door will spontaneously open,
usually in the middle of the night and make an aerie creaking noise I
expect, or maybe the parents of kids do not want them fossicing about in
there for various adult or Christmas related reasons. I'm sure I've seen
many simple locks like that advertised but of course it will mean quite a
bit of work fitting a different type to the old one.

Fossick? Have you turned Australian all of a sudden?

Sorry, my usenet deliverable virus glitched.

Peeler[_4_] April 17th 21 10:49 PM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 06:26:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz: