Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

Default Concrete vs. Postcrete

Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the difference
(FFS)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:00:27 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 16:27:51 +0000 (UTC), cd wrote:

Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the
difference (FFS)?

Concrete takes several hours or a day or two to set. Postcrete sets in a
few minutes, several tens of seconds, even, so you don't have to support
the post for nearly as long as you do with concrete. Don't know if the
long-term durability is different though, or even if it matters, as it's
only a post not a high-rise building, and the post will probably rot
long before what it's set in crumbles.

Wow! Cheers, Chris. I'd had nightmares already about holding that damn
post perfectly upright for hours on end; cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 16:27:51 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the
difference (FFS)?

Concrete takes several hours or a day or two to set. Postcrete sets in a
few minutes, several tens of seconds, even, so you don't have to support
the post for nearly as long as you do with concrete. Don't know if the
long-term durability is different though, or even if it matters, as it's
only a post not a high-rise building, and the post will probably rot
long before what it's set in crumbles.

Wow! Cheers, Chris. I'd had nightmares already about holding that damn
post perfectly upright for hours on end; cheers.

Postcrete is also easier to use because you ram it in dry, and then pour
water onto it, rather than having to mix it wet.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:23:21 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Postcrete is also easier to use because you ram it in dry, and then pour
water onto it, rather than having to mix it wet.

It's twice as good as that even! Where I live with my weather I'll only
have to dump it around the post and job done. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2014 17:23, Roger Mills wrote:
On 23/12/2014 17:10, cd wrote:
[...]

Truly the answer to a maidens prayer.

Brilliant stuff!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cd" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the difference
(FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2014 19:17, harryagain wrote:
"cd" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the difference
(FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

Often the trick is to take the concrete 25mm above soil level and slope
it to let water run away from the post. The post will usually start
rotting where the soil touches it in the soil/air boundary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/14 17:23, Roger Mills wrote:
On 23/12/2014 17:10, cd wrote:
[...]

What's being overlooked is Postcrete *is* concrete in convenient ready
mixed dry form.

The magic of it holding the post quickly is down to it being ram-packed
in slightly damp rather than wet.

If bags are convenient or you only need a couple of posts worth,
Postcrete makes sense. if you have a lot to do, mixing by hand might be
better - just don't add water (if the sand is wet) or just add a little
to help it clump.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote:
"cd" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the difference
(FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

But look like ****e, wobble & rust. Also only take 3x3 posts which are too
weak for use anywhere with significant wind. Other than that, just fine.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/What's being overlooked is Postcrete *is* concrete in convenient ready
mixed dry form.

The magic of it holding the post quickly is down to it being ram-packed
in slightly damp rather than wet.

If bags are convenient or you only need a couple of posts worth,
Postcrete makes sense. if you have a lot to do, mixing by hand might be
better - just don't add water (if the sand is wet) or just add a little
to help it clump. /q

Nah it's accelerated set, on purpose. Also don't recognise these advices to put in dry and Then add water??? Istr its half fill hole w water, then throw the dry gear in, hold til set as nbecess

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grrrr
Nah it's accelerated set, on purpose.

Also don't recognise these advices to put in dry and Then add water??? Istr its half fill hole w water, then throw the dry gear in, prop/ hold til set (enuf to hold) as necessary (10 min)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2014 20:56, Tim+ wrote:
"harryagain" wrote:
"cd" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the difference
(FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

But look like ****e, wobble & rust. Also only take 3x3 posts which are too
weak for use anywhere with significant wind. Other than that, just fine.

And prone to hitting a rock when halfway in and twisting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:56:15 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

"harryagain" wrote:
"cd" wrote in message
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the
difference (FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will
last much longer.
Quicker too.

But look like ****e, wobble & rust. Also only take 3x3 posts which are
too weak for use anywhere with significant wind. Other than that, just
fine.

Tim

Look ****e? Possibly. Rust? Yes, even before they've been sold by the
retailer, I've noticed! Don't understand why they're not made from
galavanized or stainless steel. But there are 4" ones available; less
common but definitely available.
I've seen various ingenious contraptions people have come up with on
Youtube for removing posts, but am resigned to just drilling and digging
the damn thing out the hard way with a 600mm long auger and a "texas
toothpick" - anything more complicated seems an investment in wasted time
followed by doing it the hard way anyway. There ought to be a good few
quid in it for anyone who can come up with a compact, reliable and cost-
effective method; I don't think one's been devised yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ writes:
"harryagain" wrote:
"cd" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the difference
(FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

But look like ****e, wobble & rust. Also only take 3x3 posts which are too
weak for use anywhere with significant wind. Other than that, just fine.

Mine are all 4x4, and have been in for 28 years now, which is much
longer than any of the neighbours' concreted in fences.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
"harryagain" wrote:
"cd" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the
difference
(FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

But look like ****e, wobble & rust. Also only take 3x3 posts which are too
weak for use anywhere with significant wind. Other than that, just fine.

4"x4" ones are also available. Galvanised and powder coated. I additionally
put some waxoyl in the socket.
To keep them straight whilst hammering in, you need to make a hole with a
bar in the ground first (like a pilot hole) going down full depth of spike.

Wobble factor depends on the depth of the sockets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2014 08:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes its been my experience that wooden posts in concrete tend to root sooner
than thouse just put into the ground. I guess the hole fills with water and
rots it.
Brian

If you must use wood then fitting a concrete repair spur at the same
time will save a lot of work later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:42:11 PM UTC, harry wrote:
"cd" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the difference
(FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

Not idy you have stony soil, as it is almost impossible to keep them straight.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cd" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the difference
(FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

Not idy you have stony soil, as it is almost impossible to keep them straight.

Jonathan

A weak concrete mix that's easy to remove when the post rots is the
logical answer if you have loads to do, like on a farm etc.
I dug a 5" x 5" hardwood gate post out of concrete the other day for a
neighbour. The bits of wood below ground are still surprisingly
un-rotten and a bitch to get out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-12-24, stuart noble wrote:

I dug a 5" x 5" hardwood gate post out of concrete the other day for a
neighbour. The bits of wood below ground are still surprisingly
un-rotten and a bitch to get out.

BTDT when the oak hinge post for my 5-bar gate rotted. Tedious, isn't it?

So tedious that I left quite a bit in there, put some 6" screws into the
base and re-set the thing in concrete. Also put a bracket on the
adjoining wall the keep it stable till it goes off. Terrible bodge but
apparently it's only temp till they have the wall rebuilt
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/12/2014 17:10, cd wrote:
[...]

Depends on the size of the hole.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2014 19:17, harryagain wrote:
Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

The posts will be fine, but the metal will rust off.

I can show you if you want...

The right method is concrete posts. Spurs if you want - no timber or
exposed steel below ground.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 23/12/2014 19:17, harryagain wrote:
Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

The posts will be fine, but the metal will rust off.

I can show you if you want...

The right method is concrete posts. Spurs if you want - no timber or
exposed steel below ground.

Andy

Could be right although IMO concrete posts are ugly. Certainly Metposts
are the worst answer.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 23/12/2014 19:17, harryagain wrote:
Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will last
much longer.
Quicker too.

The posts will be fine, but the metal will rust off.

I can show you if you want...

The right method is concrete posts. Spurs if you want - no timber or
exposed steel below ground.

Andy

They are also IME ****.
There is never enough concrete to give adequate covering to the reinforcing.
Consequently it soon spalls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2014 07:58, harryagain wrote:
"Vir wrote in message

The right method is concrete posts. Spurs if you want - no timber or
exposed steel below ground.

Andy

They are also IME ****.
There is never enough concrete to give adequate covering to the reinforcing.
Consequently it soon spalls.

Well, all I can say is mine haven't. perhaps 20 years wasn't long enough
- I've seen spalled stuff in WW2 defences.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2014 08:21, Chris Hogg wrote:
My mother has concrete posts supporting a chain-link fence across the
bottom of her garden. Put in in the mid-1950's. The posts are falling
to bits due to spalling.

8X
And there's so much salt in the air in West Cornwall, driven off the
sea by winter gales, that those steel Metposts only last a few years.

So concrete ones only last 50 years by the seaside?

That's long enough for me - and presumably ours would do better well inland.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2014 21:21, Chris Hogg wrote:

It's also possible that the concrete was poor quality.

I've seen concrete spur type posts being compromised when the bolts
holding on the wooden post have rusted, expanded and cracked the concrete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrap a builders plastic bag around the bottom of the post before you pour the postcrete in, the post will not rot then

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1015339-.htm