Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Nuclear power providing 6x more electricity than wind.

Tim Watts wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Demand 48.9 GW.

I remember it hitting more or less 65GW 2 years (or might have been 3)
ago. We don't even have that now...

A few days ago I downloaded a full copy of the gridwatch data

a) It'd be a shame to lose 3+ years of data if "anything bad" happens
b) To look at trends and correlations in the data.

After filtering out a handful of anomalous readings, the max(demand) was
59.2GW on the evening of 8th Feb 2012

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/14 18:58, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Demand 48.9 GW.

I remember it hitting more or less 65GW 2 years (or might have been 3)
ago. We don't even have that now...

A few days ago I downloaded a full copy of the gridwatch data

a) It'd be a shame to lose 3+ years of data if "anything bad" happens
b) To look at trends and correlations in the data.

After filtering out a handful of anomalous readings, the max(demand) was
59.2GW on the evening of 8th Feb 2012

OK - I must have imagined it - unless I saw an anomalous reading... Odd,
sure I recall it being over 60 at one point. Perhaps it was more like
5-6 years ago? Maybe that time when Sizewell B fell over and the SE was
threatened with demand control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2014 20:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 18:58:34 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Demand 48.9 GW.

I remember it hitting more or less 65GW 2 years (or might have been 3)
ago. We don't even have that now...

A few days ago I downloaded a full copy of the gridwatch data

a) It'd be a shame to lose 3+ years of data if "anything bad" happens
b) To look at trends and correlations in the data.

After filtering out a handful of anomalous readings, the max(demand) was
59.2GW on the evening of 8th Feb 2012

Gridwatch is on the Templar web site. But is that something of TNP's
own making, a private or public company, or what, and if TNP were to
become incapacitated in some way, would Gridwatch continue to function
and be maintained by anyone?

I would imagine its a load of python written by TNP.
The data is pulled of another site in XML format.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 19:55:04 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

A few days ago I downloaded a full copy of the gridwatch data

a) It'd be a shame to lose 3+ years of data if "anything bad"

happens

Hum you have a point. Though the last time I downloaded the full set
gave my copy of excel a "headache"...

After filtering out a handful of anomalous readings, the

max(demand)
was 59.2GW on the evening of 8th Feb 2012

Suprised it's that high, though 55+ GW is quite common for the
evening winter peak.

OK - I must have imagined it - unless I saw an anomalous reading... Odd,
sure I recall it being over 60 at one point. Perhaps it was more like
5-6 years ago? Maybe that time when Sizewell B fell over and the SE was
threatened with demand control.

If you are thinking of Longannet followed by Sizewell B that was mid
morning 27th May 2008 and 1.5 GW of capacity disappeared. Places did
get cut off as the automatics tried to keep the frequency up.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2..._leccy_crisis/

Well worth the read, particulary towards the end. Remember this was
written 6 (six) years ago ...

IIRC we just had a few seconds of brown out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

Gridwatch is on the Templar web site. But is that something of TNP's
own making

Yes, it says so on the "about" page
http://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/about.html

a private or public company

That's his old/ex/dormant/whatever company.

if TNP were to become incapacitated in some way, would Gridwatch
continue to function and be maintained by anyone?

He provided the capability to export the data, and made the source
available too, so I've grabbed those (not the french data though) and
would get it up and running under a different domain, if required.

It goes without saying, I hope it doesn't come to that and he's just
gone south for the Winter or something :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It'd be a shame to lose 3+ years of data

the last time I downloaded the full set
gave my copy of excel a "headache"...

I think I tried it in libreoffice an it didn't like it much either,

I'm temporarily using "DB Browser for SQLite" which is actually fairly
handy for a "slim" database GUI, but I'll probably whack it into
postgreSQL anyway ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

the max(demand) was 59.2GW on the evening of 8th Feb 2012

OK - I must have imagined it - unless I saw an anomalous reading...

Not likely, most of the anomolies are over 100GW

Only one ~66GW reading this year, the preceding 5 mins was 31GW and the
following 5 mins was 122GW, so looks like some double and quad counting
going on!

Odd, sure I recall it being over 60 at one point. Perhaps it was more
like 5-6 years ago?

You could look at the historic triad periods ...

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Industry-information/System-charges/Electricity-transmission/Transmission-Network-Use-of-System-Charges/Tools-and-Data/#Triads

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Tim Watts wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Demand 48.9 GW.

I remember it hitting more or less 65GW 2 years (or might have been 3)
ago. We don't even have that now...

A few days ago I downloaded a full copy of the gridwatch data

a) It'd be a shame to lose 3+ years of data if "anything bad" happens
b) To look at trends and correlations in the data.

After filtering out a handful of anomalous readings, the max(demand) was
59.2GW on the evening of 8th Feb 2012

OK - I must have imagined it - unless I saw an anomalous reading...
Odd, sure I recall it being over 60 at one point. Perhaps it was more
like 5-6 years ago? Maybe that time when Sizewell B fell over and the
SE was threatened with demand control.

Possibly earlier that the data set? I don't remember 2011-12 winter as
being particularly cold overall. Mild to start with coldest in early Feb
I think.

2010-11 came in very cold, from mid/end of november. I remember being
away for a week end nov - beginning dec and coming back to a big ice
stalagmite on the drive from a dripping loft cistern overflow. ISTR the
cold weather continuing through december and into Jan.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the peak then was a bit higher.

Hmm, Furtling about ob the web gives me 'In Great Britain the highest
ever load met was 60,118 MW on 10 December 2002.'

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...er-5-digest-of
-united-kingdom-energy-statistics-dukes
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

He provided the capability to export the data, and made the source
available too, so I've grabbed those (not the french data though) and
would get it up and running under a different domain, if required.

That's reassuring. I'd hate it if I couldn't look at Gridwatch.

Maybe the Econazis have taken him to their HQ and are torturing him.

Bill