DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Noisy TRV (was Noisy Radiator) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/374964-noisy-trv-noisy-radiator.html)

Bob H October 14th 14 08:53 AM

Noisy TRV (was Noisy Radiator)

As this is a slightly different topic, I thought I'd start a new thread.

After me thinking that the radiator was noisy, but subsequently found
that by turning the trv slightly, the noise or vibration stops.

Now, I have found that just by lightly squeezing? the body of the trv
the noise/vibration stops. Also when doing this I could here a slight
hissing noise either in the pipe or trv, and when a slightly turned the
trv control, both the noise or vibration, and the slight hissing stopped.

I also found that the slight hissing sound changed in sound level as I
turned the trv control, and the more I turned it the sound decreased to
a stop.Conversely the more I turned the trv control the other way, the
hissing sound became more pronounced or louder.

Andy Burns[_9_] October 14th 14 09:12 AM

Bob H wrote:

I have found that just by lightly squeezing? the body of the trv
the noise/vibration stops.

Do you mean the head (plastic) rather than the body (metal)?

I also found that the slight hissing sound changed in sound level as I
turned the trv control, and the more I turned it the sound decreased to
a stop.Conversely the more I turned the trv control the other way, the
hissing sound became more pronounced or louder.

As you gradually close the valve, the water is forced through a smaller
hole, so the sound will change.

Bob H October 14th 14 09:16 AM

On 14/10/2014 09:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob H wrote:

I have found that just by lightly squeezing? the body of the trv
the noise/vibration stops.

Do you mean the head (plastic) rather than the body (metal)?

I also found that the slight hissing sound changed in sound level as I
turned the trv control, and the more I turned it the sound decreased to
a stop.Conversely the more I turned the trv control the other way, the
hissing sound became more pronounced or louder.

As you gradually close the valve, the water is forced through a smaller
hole, so the sound will change.

Yes,I do mean the head, not the body.

DerbyBorn[_5_] October 14th 14 09:33 AM

Noisy TRV (was Noisy Radiator)

Bob H wrote in
:

Bob H wrote:

I have found that just by lightly squeezing? the body of the trv
the noise/vibration stops.

Do you mean the head (plastic) rather than the body (metal)?

I also found that the slight hissing sound changed in sound level as I
turned the trv control, and the more I turned it the sound decreased to
a stop.Conversely the more I turned the trv control the other way, the
hissing sound became more pronounced or louder.

As you gradually close the valve, the water is forced through a smaller
hole, so the sound will change.

Yes,I do mean the head, not the body.

The slightest movement at the cut-off stage will make a difference. Water
is possibly being forced through a gap of a few thousands of an inch.

[email protected] October 14th 14 09:37 AM

On 14/10/2014 08:53, Bob H wrote:
As this is a slightly different topic, I thought I'd start a new thread.

After me thinking that the radiator was noisy, but subsequently found
that by turning the trv slightly, the noise or vibration stops.

Now, I have found that just by lightly squeezing? the body of the trv
the noise/vibration stops. Also when doing this I could here a slight
hissing noise either in the pipe or trv, and when a slightly turned the
trv control, both the noise or vibration, and the slight hissing stopped.

I also found that the slight hissing sound changed in sound level as I
turned the trv control, and the more I turned it the sound decreased to
a stop.Conversely the more I turned the trv control the other way, the
hissing sound became more pronounced or louder.

I get this occasionally in a pressurised system and it has always been
cured by bleeding the offending radiator.

Chris French October 14th 14 11:25 AM

Noisy TRV (was Noisy Radiator)

In message ,
DerbyBorn writes
Bob H wrote in
m:

Bob H wrote:

I have found that just by lightly squeezing? the body of the trv
the noise/vibration stops.

Do you mean the head (plastic) rather than the body (metal)?

I also found that the slight hissing sound changed in sound level as I
turned the trv control, and the more I turned it the sound decreased to
a stop.Conversely the more I turned the trv control the other way, the
hissing sound became more pronounced or louder.

As you gradually close the valve, the water is forced through a smaller
hole, so the sound will change.

Yes,I do mean the head, not the body.

The slightest movement at the cut-off stage will make a difference. Water
is possibly being forced through a gap of a few thousands of an inch.

Or it might just be that holding/squeezing the head is damping the
sound?

--
Chris French

Brian Gaff[_2_] October 14th 14 04:46 PM

Noisy TRV (was Noisy Radiator)

Our studio has a radiator like that, we call it hissing sid.
My guess is that its turbulance in the hot water squeezing by the valve or
tap or whatever is adjustable.
It needs a very delicate touch to get it just right!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

DerbyBorn[_5_] October 14th 14 05:16 PM

Noisy TRV (was Noisy Radiator)

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

Our studio has a radiator like that, we call it hissing sid.
My guess is that its turbulance in the hot water squeezing by the
valve or
tap or whatever is adjustable.
It needs a very delicate touch to get it just right!
Brian

Of course - the noise is caused by it beginning to close - or open so in a
way it is something that should not be avoided by turning it up or down.