Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Anyone want a 100A ammeter?

I spotted 3 in a building that are no longer in use. They are about the same
size as an old electric meter so bear that in mind when it comes to P&P. No
charge for the ammeter itself. Obviously I am happy to send them out
individually and not as a set.

If anyone is interested drop me an email and I'll get details of them, take
photos and take them off the wall tomorrow. It looked like decent gear -
they currently sit between the three single phase meters and the disboard on
a now removed 3 phase supply ie they are not handheld devices.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
I spotted 3 in a building that are no longer in use. They are about the
same size as an old electric meter so bear that in mind when it comes to
P&P. No charge for the ammeter itself. Obviously I am happy to send them
out individually and not as a set.

If anyone is interested drop me an email and I'll get details of them,
take photos and take them off the wall tomorrow. It looked like decent
gear - they currently sit between the three single phase meters and the
disboard on a now removed 3 phase supply ie they are not handheld devices.

You might find they run off current transformers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 9, 2014 6:09:55 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I spotted 3 in a building that are no longer in use. They are about the same
size as an old electric meter so bear that in mind when it comes to P&P. No
charge for the ammeter itself. Obviously I am happy to send them out
individually and not as a set.
If anyone is interested drop me an email and I'll get details of them, take
photos and take them off the wall tomorrow. It looked like decent gear -
they currently sit between the three single phase meters and the disboard on
a now removed 3 phase supply ie they are not handheld devices.

Probably ebayable if no-one takes them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2014 08:46, Peter Crosland wrote:

Taking them is still theft!

+1

They still belong to someone regardless of the apparent "lack of
ownership" of the building.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/14 08:49, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
On 10/10/2014 08:46, Peter Crosland wrote:

Taking them is still theft!

+1

They still belong to someone regardless of the apparent "lack of
ownership" of the building.

How do you geniuses know that Adam hasn't been asked to remove and scrap
them? Noone apart from pikies just walks into a random building and
pulls out electrical equipment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2014 08:59, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/10/14 08:49, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
On 10/10/2014 08:46, Peter Crosland wrote:

Taking them is still theft!

+1

They still belong to someone regardless of the apparent "lack of
ownership" of the building.

How do you geniuses know that Adam hasn't been asked to remove and scrap
them? Noone apart from pikies just walks into a random building and
pulls out electrical equipment.

It depends on your definition of pikies. Theft is not exclusive to them.
Lots of people seem to regard derelict buildings as fair game to be
stolen from.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:59:06 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

On 10/10/14 08:49, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
On 10/10/2014 08:46, Peter Crosland wrote:

Taking them is still theft!

+1

They still belong to someone regardless of the apparent "lack of
ownership" of the building.

How do you geniuses know that Adam hasn't been asked to remove and
scrap them? Noone apart from pikies just walks into a random building
and pulls out electrical equipment.

I agree. The fact that he is so willing to remove them in broad
daylight indicated to me that he had any necessary permissions.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim Watts wrote:

On 10/10/14 08:49, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
On 10/10/2014 08:46, Peter Crosland wrote:

Taking them is still theft!

+1

They still belong to someone regardless of the apparent "lack of
ownership" of the building.

How do you geniuses know that Adam hasn't been asked to remove and
scrap them? Noone apart from pikies just walks into a random building
and pulls out electrical equipment.

I agree. The fact that he is so willing to remove them in broad
daylight indicated to me that he had any necessary permissions.

As this is a legal stripout and a new electrical install is taking place
then I believe I can offer the items for free to anyone who wants them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:27:46 +0100, Peter Crosland wrote:

On 10/10/2014 08:59, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/10/14 08:49, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
On 10/10/2014 08:46, Peter Crosland wrote:

Taking them is still theft!

+1

They still belong to someone regardless of the apparent "lack of
ownership" of the building.

How do you geniuses know that Adam hasn't been asked to remove and
scrap them? Noone apart from pikies just walks into a random building
and pulls out electrical equipment.

It depends on your definition of pikies. Theft is not exclusive to them.
Lots of people seem to regard derelict buildings as fair game to be
stolen from.

What makes you think this is a derelict building?

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
Tim Watts wrote:

On 10/10/14 08:49, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
On 10/10/2014 08:46, Peter Crosland wrote:

Taking them is still theft!

+1

They still belong to someone regardless of the apparent "lack of
ownership" of the building.

How do you geniuses know that Adam hasn't been asked to remove and
scrap them? Noone apart from pikies just walks into a random building
and pulls out electrical equipment.

I agree. The fact that he is so willing to remove them in broad
daylight indicated to me that he had any necessary permissions.

As this is a legal stripout and a new electrical install is taking place
then I believe I can offer the items for free to anyone who wants them.

And there was me about to post about the b'stard plumber who's just
installed a new boiler at our office and has nicked the old one.

No, wait a minute, that was part of the deal, fit new and remove waste
so he hasn't stolen anything.

I'm so relieved I didn't slander him by suggesting that he had.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/14 14:13, fred wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

And indeed it is the default position. Unless agreed in advance.

eg if I am having a copper cylinder replaced, and I fancy taking it to
the scrappy myself for the cash, I would really have to make the clear
up front.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 19:42:10 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/10/2014 21:39, wrote:
On Thursday, October 9, 2014 6:09:55 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I spotted 3 in a building that are no longer in use. They are about
the same size as an old electric meter so bear that in mind when it
comes to P&P.
No charge for the ammeter itself. Obviously I am happy to send them
out individually and not as a set.
If anyone is interested drop me an email and I'll get details of
them, take photos and take them off the wall tomorrow. It looked like
decent gear -
they currently sit between the three single phase meters and the
disboard on a now removed 3 phase supply ie they are not handheld
devices.

Taking them is still theft!

Is it **** and nor is selling them or giving them away. They will be
going into the skip or Ebay next week unless anyone wants them. And now
I have got some lights on in the basement it turns out that they are
maximum load indicators not ammeters.

As someone has already pointed out, at 100A these will probably be CT
operated (100:5A at a guess). You'll need to either remove the CTs as
well (probably rings round the mains cables) or short out the wires to
them BEFORE DISCONNECTING FROM THE INSTRUMENTS. An open-circuit CT can
produce a high voltage on the secondary if there is any load on the
primary.

Quite often on an old max demand indicator there is a secondary pointer
that is pushed up by the main one and needs to be released with a key or
something similar, although there are manual reset ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

web.com...

On 09/10/2014 21:39, wrote:
[...]

Direct in line 25mm copper tails. And the power was disconnected 12 months
ago.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:11:21 +0100
"ARW" wrote:

Direct in line 25mm copper tails. And the power was disconnected 12
months ago.

I thought that you had meant something like that when you said: "that
are no longer in use" in your OP!

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:11:21 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

aweb.com...

On 09/10/2014 21:39, wrote:
[...]

Designed to be 'tamper proof' then. Well, that shoiuld end the
speculation about the use of current transformers.
--
J B Good