DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Oiling a pine table top. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/373065-oiling-pine-table-top.html)

mark August 2nd 14 01:46 PM

Oiling a pine table top.

I've got a farmhouse style pine table which has been in use for several
years. The plan is to paint the undercarriage, sand and oil the actual top.

Would have normally opted for Danish oil, which I don't have. However I've
got some teak oil for outdoor furniture.

Would that do instead of Danish oil?

mark

Bob Minchin[_4_] August 2nd 14 02:14 PM

Oiling a pine table top.

mark wrote:
I've got a farmhouse style pine table which has been in use for several
years. The plan is to paint the undercarriage, sand and oil the actual top.

Would have normally opted for Danish oil, which I don't have. However I've
got some teak oil for outdoor furniture.

Would that do instead of Danish oil?

mark

Teak oil is normally very slow to dry. Danish oil, hardwax oil or osmo
poly x will all do a decent job.

mark August 4th 14 02:27 PM

Oiling a pine table top.

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
mark wrote:
I've got a farmhouse style pine table which has been in use for several
years. The plan is to paint the undercarriage, sand and oil the actual
top.

Would have normally opted for Danish oil, which I don't have. However
I've
got some teak oil for outdoor furniture.

Would that do instead of Danish oil?

mark

Teak oil is normally very slow to dry. Danish oil, hardwax oil or osmo
poly x will all do a decent job.

ok thanks. I'll give it a miss.

Jonathan August 4th 14 02:54 PM

Oiling a pine table top.

mark wrote:

I've got a farmhouse style pine table which has been in use for several

years. The plan is to paint the undercarriage, sand and oil the actual

top.

Would have normally opted for Danish oil, which I don't have. However

I've

got some teak oil for outdoor furniture.

Would that do instead of Danish oil?

mark

Teak oil is normally very slow to dry. Danish oil, hardwax oil or osmo

poly x will all do a decent job.

ok thanks. I'll give it a miss.

After sanding, I would recommend a mix of Danish oil, non-water-based varnish, and white spirits in equal quantities. Wipe it on, leave for five minutes, and then remove the residue. Wait 30 minutes and repeat. If you do this about ten times, leaving longer between applications as you go on, you will create a waterproof, pretty nearly heat-proof surface that lasts for years. It really works.

Jonathan