Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone used "FLOUREON" batteries? (power tools)

My trusty Makita drill/impact driver set has knackered batteries. Still
kicking myself for not buying up some of the Site kit when screwfix
flogged them off - the price for new 12v NiCD or NiMH is rather more
than I wanted to spend (to say the least!)

Can find a few cheap 1.3AH NiCDs but would rather move to something a
bit better. Picked up a bargain 2.8AH NiMH on ebay (poor photos, took a
punt and got it for 14 quid - it's brilliant!) and while looking noticed
a steady stream of cheap and presumably crap noname batteries, and a
number of Floureon ones.

I've never heard of Floureon, but it seems more than some crap brand. Most
hunting on the intermahwebs suggests they make cheap replacement laptop
batteries which review pretty well which is reassuring.

So, anyone used them? Price is tempting - might have to take a punt and
try. Something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360972015886 for example.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2014 13:15, D.M.Chapman wrote:
[...]

I tried a "compatible" 3Ah 18 NiMh once. To be fair it performed ok at
first, but the number of charge cycles was very poor compared to the OEM
cells (in fact I bought it to replace the first of my original 3 that
was no longer holding a charge. By the time the remaining two of the
original set were in the same state, so was the "new" one).

In the end I bought a 3 pack of genuine Makita batteries for about £150...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 26/06/2014 13:15, D.M.Chapman wrote:

I've never heard of Floureon, but it seems more than some crap brand. Most
hunting on the intermahwebs suggests they make cheap replacement laptop
batteries which review pretty well which is reassuring.

So, anyone used them? Price is tempting - might have to take a punt and
try. Something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360972015886 for example.

I tried a "compatible" 3Ah 18 NiMh once. To be fair it performed ok at
first, but the number of charge cycles was very poor compared to the OEM
cells (in fact I bought it to replace the first of my original 3 that
was no longer holding a charge. By the time the remaining two of the
original set were in the same state, so was the "new" one).

Yeah, I've had compatibles (no name rubbish) before and like you say,
they've been pretty crap.

Tempting to take a punt on this Floureon brand though - they seem to
review better than most generics for other uses.

In the end I bought a 3 pack of genuine Makita batteries for about £150...

Yeah :-( As I say, I found one bargain on ebay - just need to spot another
brand new badly photographed and badly desribed listing ;-)

Cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Apologies for thread hijack but has anyone tried one of the US sourced Makita lithium lxt battery adaptors that enable lxt batts to be used in old school 18v Makita drills - think DWPE 18v hammer drill 1.3ah red NiCd battery etc?

My NiCDs are on their way out and switching batt technology to lithium seems a good pathway - just need to know if adaptors work!

TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2014 13:15, D.M.Chapman wrote:

So, anyone used them? Price is tempting - might have to take a punt and
try. Something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360972015886 for example.

Darren

But is that listing for a fake branded battery?
The description says from a company in 4 locations in the USA but the
seller is in Hong Kong

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan wrote:
On 26/06/2014 13:15, D.M.Chapman wrote:

So, anyone used them? Price is tempting - might have to take a punt and
try. Something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360972015886 for example.

Darren

But is that listing for a fake branded battery?
The description says from a company in 4 locations in the USA but the
seller is in Hong Kong

Oh yes, that listing may well be - I was more showing the brand. There are
some resellers who appear to be a bit less risky but fakes is always a
risk I guess :-/

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

replying to D.M.Chapman, Joe wrote:
Hi, I have got the dewalt li-lon set and have had the Makita li-lon set before
that and the batteries in both sets packed up really quick I use them on site
everyday so they do take abuse but I'm not paying the crazy cash for there
batteries anymore. I have just paid £94 for four floureon 18v batteries and
they work fine and to be honest I'm not that fussed if they do pack up because
I can buy 3 sets to makita/dewalt 1 I will keep my fingers crossed

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ls-980749-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/26/2014 9:26 PM, JimK wrote:
Apologies for thread hijack but has anyone tried one of the US sourced Makita lithium lxt battery adaptors that enable lxt batts to be used in old school 18v Makita drills - think DWPE 18v hammer drill 1.3ah red NiCd battery etc?

My NiCDs are on their way out and switching batt technology to lithium seems a good pathway - just need to know if adaptors work!

TIA

Jim K

Not seen these before

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIONDAPTER-M...-/111475624873

Looks like a good idea (if a bit expensive). There's an Amazon listing
but showing "not available".

I have bought a couple of generic 14.4 and 18 V nicads for my Makitas,
and they seem to be OK (much cheaper than "genuine").
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/26/2014 1:15 PM, D.M.Chapman wrote:
[...]

I've used unbranded eBay Makita replacements, but I have a couple of
Floureon "jump starters" which seem to be OK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FLOUREON-168...n+jump+starter

This isn't the exact model. One of them had an early failure (looked
like a dead switch) but Amazon's replacement process was flawless once I
contacted customer services.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to D.M.Chapman, Dave_104 wrote:
I had two floureons (18v 3.0ah nimh), barely lasted a year. My problems with
them is they don't keep much charge and don't last too long before needing
recharging. I also have a couple of KooPower batteries, same capacity, and at
2 years old they still perform brilliantly and hold long charge. Bought them
on ebay but can't find them on there now.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ls-980749-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to D.M.Chapman, matt wrote:
a word of advice from someone who's bought floureon batteries..absolute
****e,don't buy,they charge to full voltage fine but have no capacity,they
will last no time at all under load..total waste of money

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ls-980749-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-04-10, matt m wrote:
replying to D.M.Chapman, matt wrote:
a word of advice from someone who's bought floureon batteries..absolute
****e,don't buy,they charge to full voltage fine but have no capacity,they
will last no time at all under load..total waste of money

The one I bought for my Hitachi cordless drill was fine. Lasted at least
as long as the original batteries.

Ditto (except mine are Makita NiCads)