Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 18:10:00 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 17:46:42 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does this go back a while as a thread?
Where I worked we had a generator, here I had several old car
batteries and a battery light and tv.

The parafin heaters were great but oh the condensation.
Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks they
rely on their leccy and internet connections too much.
Brian

Goes back to 2014 Brian.
The dickhead who posted it thought it was "fun" and misses those
days. This bellend had not seen her father arrive home from a 12
hour shift, walk into a cold dark house and not eat a hot meal.
Land fit for heroes my backside.

Not soft enough for you then?

What?

Sounds like your body would not cope.

--
What does a Polish woman do after she sucks a cock?
Spits out the feathers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does this go back a while as a thread?
Where I worked we had a generator, here I had several old car
batteries and a battery light and tv.

The parafin heaters were great but oh the condensation.
Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks they
rely on their leccy and internet connections too much.
Brian

Goes back to 2014 Brian.
The dickhead who posted it thought it was "fun" and misses those
days. This bellend had not seen her father arrive home from a 12
hour shift, walk into a cold dark house and not eat a hot meal.
Land fit for heroes my backside.

Not soft enough for you then?

What?

Sounds like your body would not cope.

I was there and I did cope. You could not have handled it.
Are you really that stupid to have missed the point of my comment?
Perhaps I did not take into account your Asperger's Syndrome when I made the
comment?
Would you like me to explain it to you word by word?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

You said it wasn't fun.

--
An Englishman was feeling a little queezy on his first sailing, and leaned over the edge of the boat. He saw a Frenchman below opening his porthole so, feeling the urge to bring up his dinner, he yelled "LOOK OUT!"
The Frenchman stuck his head out of the porthole and was decorated with semi-digested food. "YOU SILLY ENGLISHMAN!!!!" he yelled, "Why do you say look out when you mean look in?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

I find it amusing that the person in here with almost as much OCD as Simon accuses someone else of being ill.

--
An Englishman was feeling a little queezy on his first sailing, and leaned over the edge of the boat. He saw a Frenchman below opening his porthole so, feeling the urge to bring up his dinner, he yelled "LOOK OUT!"
The Frenchman stuck his head out of the porthole and was decorated with semi-digested food. "YOU SILLY ENGLISHMAN!!!!" he yelled, "Why do you say look out when you mean look in?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

I'm not having a go at you. But we both know the truth.
http://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-...Fc-6Gwodpi4KuQ

Social interaction
People with Asperger syndrome often have difficulty 'reading' other people -
recognising or understanding others' feelings and intentions - and
expressing their own emotions. This can make it very hard for them to
navigate the social world. They may:

a.. appear to be insensitive
b.. seek out time alone when overloaded by other people
c.. not seek comfort from other people
d.. appear to behave 'strangely' or in a way thought to be socially
inappropriate.
They may find it hard to form friendships. Some may want to interact with
other people and make friends, but may be unsure how to go about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 17:32:25 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks they rely on
their leccy and internet connections too much.

'leccy'?
Also perhaps:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html...ary-limit.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

You said "The dickhead who posted it thought it was "fun""

--
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Sounds nothing like me. I'm a perfectly nice guy unless someone does something stupid, then I make fun of them.

--
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not
what I meant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Yes, that is what the dickhead said.
Is there anything else I can assist you with Mr Hucker?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Sounded rather like you disagreed with him.

--
Complete with obligatory low frequency bass, electrically recorded on a four track in two hours. This has enough power to destroy the most expensive washing machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

You have a mind like a steel trap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 19:48:44 +0000, mechanic wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 17:32:25 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks they rely
on their leccy and internet connections too much.

'leccy'?
Also perhaps: http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html...ary-limit.html

Strangely, we just had a power cut. The screen gave me enough light to
continue using Facebook and the web, and it only lasted a few minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Sorry for getting the better of you.

--
The tired doctor was awakened by a phone call in the middle of the night. "Please, you have to come right over," pleaded the distraught young mother. "My child has swallowed a contraceptive."
The physician dressed quickly, but before he could get out the door, the phone rang again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/17 23:10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 19:48:44 +0000, mechanic wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 17:32:25 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks they rely
on their leccy and internet connections too much.

'leccy'?
Also perhaps: http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html...ary-limit.html

Strangely, we just had a power cut. The screen gave me enough light to
continue using Facebook and the web, and it only lasted a few minutes.

Intriguing. So What was powering the broadband router then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 05:03:44 +0200, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 09/01/17 23:10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 19:48:44 +0000, mechanic wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 17:32:25 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks they
rely on their leccy and internet connections too much.

'leccy'?
Also perhaps:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html...ary-limit.html

Strangely, we just had a power cut. The screen gave me enough light to
continue using Facebook and the web, and it only lasted a few minutes.

Intriguing. So What was powering the broadband router then?

One of the three UPS units.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 05:03:44 +0200, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 09/01/17 23:10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 19:48:44 +0000, mechanic wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 17:32:25 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks they
rely on their leccy and internet connections too much.

'leccy'?
Also perhaps:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html...ary-limit.html

Strangely, we just had a power cut. The screen gave me enough light to
continue using Facebook and the web, and it only lasted a few minutes.

Intriguing. So What was powering the broadband router then?

One of the three UPS units.

my router also has a small UPS. A legacy from frequent overnight brownouts
when the router needed to be re-booted in the morning.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Brian Gaff wrote:
Does this go back a while as a thread?
Where I worked we had a generator, here I had several old car
batteries and a battery light and tv.

The parafin heaters were great but oh the condensation.
Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks
they rely on their leccy and internet connections too much.

Agreed: anywhere that does not have a gas supply will rely on electricity
for cooking and for heating (fairly basic human requirements), and everyone
needs electricity for fridges/freezers if they can't buy fresh food from the
shops every day, which has become unnecessary/impossible with the demise of
most "corner shops" and the reliance on fewer but larger supermarkets.
That's leaving aside our dependence on electricity for the internet. OK, so
a power-cut of a couple of hours isn't going to damage food in the fridge or
freezer.

I can remember an earlier set of planned power cuts in the late 60s or very
early 70s, presumably as an energy-saving measure because of Yet Another
Strike. I was around 5 - 8 at the time, so I wasn't aware of the full
background, though I think it was either coal miners or power-station
workers that had gone on strike. All the parents of infant-school-age
children where I lived organised a rota so groups of children would all have
their "tea" (as in Yorkshire word for evening meal) at the house of whoever
was due to have power that evening - with those people who cooked by gas
getting called on a lot more! I remember that the zones for cutting off the
power were fairly small: it was common for several streets to be turned off
but nearby ones still to have power.

Because my parents cooked by gas and our living room had a gas fire (in
addition to gas-powered central heating) we got called on quite a lot to "do
our bit" :-) We were lucky to live in a town, where there was a gas supply.
Out in rural areas (eg where we live now) there is no gas so there's no way
of cooking or heating when there's a power cut - unless you go to the
expense of a backup bottled gas supply or paraffin heaters. Oil central
heating is no use without power to the pump. That's where an open fire comes
in useful - our present house has no gas but we've got the fire to keep us
warm during power cuts and we can even toast bread on it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 5IqdnevqO4V9L-
, says...

I can remember an earlier set of planned power cuts in the late 60s or very
early 70s, presumably as an energy-saving measure because of Yet Another
Strike. I was around 5 - 8 at the time, so I wasn't aware of the full
background, though I think it was either coal miners or power-station
workers that had gone on strike.

Early 70s. The miners and the power workers seemed to do it
on a rota basis - miners one year, power workers the next.

I was working in London, so copped the annual ASLEF disputes
as well, which were always in the coldest months of the
year.

In London, the LEB published a schedule so that you knew
when the power was going off but back home in Essex, the
EEB weren't so helpful ...

Coming home one night, everywhere was inky black on the
approach to the station - except the station itself which
was still gas lit! - so there was no point going home which
was a perfectly good excuse to head for the Railway Hotel!

Candles were getting a bit short by then and most in the bar
were out or nearly exhausted. I and another chap went round
collecting them and melted the remains into an ash tray
which had a nice deep oval basin shape. We realised that the
wax would be a bit thin on the ground if we used all of it,
so we built a dam using a beer mat and did a pretty good job
of filling most of half of it.

We added about 4 or 5 matches as wicks and had a wonderful
light! Despite that, the amount of wax being used was
remarkably low and we estimated that it might survive at
least another night, if not two.

The following night was a repeat blackout performance, so
back to the pub it was. We looked around amongst the dim
flickering flames and enquired where our monster candle was.
"Oh, that - we threw it away!" was the answer ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2017 10:10, NY wrote:

Out in rural areas (eg where we live now) there is no gas so
there's no way of cooking or heating when there's a power cut - unless
you go to the expense of a backup bottled gas supply or paraffin
heaters.

No mains gas here. The heating will still heat the core of the house and
water without power (stove), and the (bottled) gas hob will still work
(albeit with manual ignition).

(13kg propane bottles last us between 4-6 months, possibly longer, on a
conventional 4 burner hob).

At some point I'll get the tuit to get the new battery for the UPS and
plug the router into it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does this go back a while as a thread?
Where I worked we had a generator, here I had several old car
batteries and a battery light and tv.

The parafin heaters were great but oh the condensation.
Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks
they rely on their leccy and internet connections too much.

Agreed: anywhere that does not have a gas supply will rely on electricity
for cooking and for heating (fairly basic human requirements),

Not if they have enough of a clue to have a camping
gas stove for emergency cooking and some blankets etc.

and everyone needs electricity for fridges/freezers if they can't buy
fresh food from the shops every day,

Depends on the season.

which has become unnecessary/impossible with the demise of most "corner
shops" and the reliance on fewer but larger supermarkets.

Plenty use the larger supermarkets daily.

[...]

Doesn’t cost much for what works fine for days/weeks.

or paraffin heaters. Oil central heating is no use without power to the
pump.

We had a gravity feed.

That's where an open fire comes in useful - our present house has no gas
but we've got the fire to keep us warm during power cuts and we can even
toast bread on it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:10:33 -0000, NY wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
Does this go back a while as a thread?
Where I worked we had a generator, here I had several old car
batteries and a battery light and tv.

The parafin heaters were great but oh the condensation.
Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks
they rely on their leccy and internet connections too much.

Agreed: anywhere that does not have a gas supply will rely on electricity
for cooking and for heating (fairly basic human requirements)

No, luxuries. Requirements are things you need to survive. Which are oxygen, food, and water.

--
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 June 2014 11:43:28 UTC+1, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Can anyone remind me about the power cuts in the 1970s please?

Did the power cuts begin in September 1972 ?
Were they They3 hours on & 3 hours off ?

Then the 3 day week began in January in 1974 ?

I live on the Isle of Wight, but they were all over the UK I think?

Mick.

last question first, yes they were all over the U.K. 3 day week began when you stated.
the power cuts began in February 1972, the reason i know for sure is my youngest son was born on the 1st February, i came home from the hospital to the first DAY of power cuts, midwives in our town came out in force checking on new mums and elderly for heating and cooking facilities. i was one of the lucky ones i cooked by gas and had coal fires. i remember electricity going off every teatime, so baby was bathed by candlelight, as was cooking, I still have the original candles I bought.

Carol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Broadback
writes

I worked in the computer industry and we were exempt the cuts, so it
had very little effect on me!

I was 19 in Feb 1972, and cannot really remember how we coped at home,
although we still had open fires, so presumably kept warm. Cooking was
electric, so I suppose planning was required. What I do remember is
working in a large office in the City, and the Heath Robinson efforts to
provide light. People who drove in brought car batteries which were
wired to 12v bulbs all over the place, using crocodile clips and
Sellotape. Management applauded the ingenuity, but today, H&S would
have apoplexy. No real need for further power - we were still using
manual calculators, Monroes.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

last question first, yes they were all over the U.K. 3 day week began when you stated.
the power cuts began in February 1972, the reason i know for sure is my youngest son was born on the 1st February, i came home from the hospital to the first DAY of power cuts, midwives in our town came out in force checking on new mums and elderly for heating and cooking facilities. i was one of the lucky ones i cooked by gas and had coal fires. i remember electricity going off every teatime, so baby was bathed by candlelight, as was cooking, I still have the original candles I bought.

At the time of the 3-day week and power cuts, GEC (as it was
then) had 6 completed diesel-electric locos at the Preston
factory. They had been ordered by Pakistan, but for complicated
reasons they hadn't taken delivery.

As I recall, the locos were split between the sites at Trafford
Park, Sheffield and Preston.

The pair sent to Trafford Park were placed adjacent to the main
electrical test area, and connected through one of the rotary
converter sets to feed back into the site supply. Together with
the existing diesel sets, they enabled work to continue without
interruption.

To reduce the heating load, our large office gained a few fairly
fierce Calor gas heaters.

As we had a particularly large window area, we improvised
secondary double glazing by taping together 4 foot wide rolls of
plastic sheeting (1), with a slightly blue tinge. It was
surprising how quickly the eyes adapted to the unusual lighting.

(1) Actually available on-site because it was used as the release
film for producing mica-based insulation sheets.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 10:54:04 +0000, Graeme wrote:

I was 19 in Feb 1972, ...

12

... and cannot really remember how we coped at home, although we still
had open fires, so presumably kept warm.

I think Dad had installed the CH by then, so had gas fire and gas
back boiler, cooking was gas. The boiler had a gas pilot light and
would run without mains but only on the gravity to loop the HW
cylinder, no power for the CH circulation. Not that mattered before
the CH one would often get up on a winters morning and suck old
pennies to melt spy holes in the frost on the inside of the windows.
Candles provided light.

The power cuts were on a rolling rota basis so you didn't get the
power cut(s) at the same time everyday. I remember looking for the
rota in the evening newspaper and checking how close to the rotaed
time the power went, IIRC is was normally within 5 mins and normally
late.

I wonder if living through that period is why I find loss of power
just a PITA and no reason to turn into a headless chicken. We are
prepared though, camping gas lanterns for light, twin ring and small
grill gas camping hob, 2 kVA genset to run fridges/freezers and CH...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 January 2018 11:43:08 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I wonder if living through that period is why I find loss of power
just a PITA and no reason to turn into a headless chicken.

Planned rolling blackouts are easier to cope with than unplanned ones where you don't know if the power will be back on in 20 minutes or still be off 6 hours later.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 22 January 2018 11:43:08 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I wonder if living through that period is why I find loss of power just
a PITA and no reason to turn into a headless chicken.

Planned rolling blackouts are easier to cope with than unplanned ones
where you don't know if the power will be back on in 20 minutes or still
be off 6 hours later.

Owain

4 years ago, we had a power "cut" for 4 days. Thankfully, the supply co
brought us a generator - at 1 in the morning, though.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
On 2018-01-22, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 22 January 2018 11:43:08 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I wonder if living through that period is why I find loss of power
just a PITA and no reason to turn into a headless chicken.

Planned rolling blackouts are easier to cope with than unplanned ones
where you don't know if the power will be back on in 20 minutes or
still be off 6 hours later.

Owain

4 years ago, we had a power "cut" for 4 days.

+1

Thankfully, the supply co brought us a generator - at 1 in the morning,
though.

I'd have been glad of that. We were an island of darkness in a sea of
light. Once they *finally* came out to us, it took them about 15 minutes
to restore supply and the guy said something about making a nuisance of
ourselves in future, which I now do.

In our case, 5 houses fed by a 1920s (I think) cable. There were 4
generators involved.

The road had to be dug up, cable replaced and the road repaired.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 10:54:04 +0000, Graeme wrote:

I was 19 in Feb 1972, ...

12

... and cannot really remember how we coped at home, although we still
had open fires, so presumably kept warm.

I think Dad had installed the CH by then, so had gas fire and gas
back boiler, cooking was gas.

18. The only thing I really remember was studying for my 'A' Levels by
the light of a Tilley lamp. Can't remember how we cooked or kept warm.

My dad wisely installed a gas fire in the front room. Had a tank of hot
water and a paraffin lamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

The power cuts were on a rolling rota basis so you didn't get the
power cut(s) at the same time everyday.

There were a lot of streetlights still with electromechanical
timeclocks, so the chance of having power and the light switched
on became quite random.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"bert" wrote in message
the power cuts began in February 1972, the reason i know for sure is my
youngest son was born on the 1st February, i came home from the hospital
to the first DAY of power cuts, midwives in our town came out in force
checking on new mums and elderly for heating and cooking facilities. i
was one of the lucky ones i cooked by gas and had coal fires. i remember
electricity going off every teatime, so baby was bathed by candlelight,
as was cooking, I still have the original candles I bought.
Carol

I worked in the computer industry and we were exempt the cuts, so it had
very little effect on me!

So did I and we had restricted supplies.

I can remember lots of phased power cuts in Leeds. I was at primary school
at the time. Different streets had power cuts at different times, so
children went to a friend's house or they came to yours for "tea", depending
on a) whose turn it was for a power cut, and b) whether or not you had a gas
cooker and therefore were unaffected by power cuts as regards having an
evening meal.

I'd have guessed that it was earlier than 1972, but it must have been in my
final year in Leeds before we moved to Wakefield.

We had a gas cooker and gas fires in the living and dining rooms (in
addition to gas central heating which needed electricity) so we escaped
fairly lightly - but we did a lot of "entertaining" of friends ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The local haulage company installed a diesel generator to power the lights in the sorting shed. Workers were supposed to turn off the incoming service isolator before starting it and closing the connection switch. Someone forgot and the machine rapidly died trying to power the surrounding town.
They came to me so I installed a bfo MEM changeover switch so the the lights could be powered by either mains or expensively repaired generator without chance of repetition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 June 2014 11:43:28 UTC+1, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Can anyone remind me about the power cuts in the 1970s please?

Did the power cuts begin in September 1972 ?
Were they They3 hours on & 3 hours off ?

Then the 3 day week began in January in 1974 ?

I live on the Isle of Wight, but they were all over the UK I think?

Mick.

As an electrician I made some good money during the power cuts of the early 70's installing generators for a well known supermarket chain, great work!! the generators picked up all the refrigeration and tills plus 60% of the lighting etc, a lot of the work at night when the stores where closed, we did 8 stores in all, hard work but very good money, I was in my 20's then and it was like winning the lottery today.

Power cuts Dave Baker UK diy 106 March 11th 14 08:31 PM
Power cuts. harry UK diy 12 October 19th 12 08:20 PM
Power Cuts? Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 10 January 7th 10 07:02 PM
power cuts Mike UK diy 35 February 8th 05 06:03 PM
Power cuts DanFox UK diy 8 January 16th 04 12:30 PM