Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brother 9020 printer report

The slave came this weekend and after I had wall mounted the new
Brother 9020 printer on an old AVF CRT TV swinging bracket( he claimed
his back hurt and he couldn't lift anything) he began the installation
process. In Windows, it was painless, but it was necessary to give the
printer a fixed IP address from the router. Not straightforward on
Netgear, as after fixing the address via the control panel, it is
necessary to reboot the router before the change shows up. The
instructions didn't mention this and it was only a decision to try
rebooting which resolved the mystery. When we got to Linux, the fun
started. The Brother site gives details of the files needed and tells
you to use their installer. As numerous other people have found it
didn't bloody work! Anyway following a couple of hours work on Google,
we found the solution via the terminal program and the whole shebang now
works on Linux. Time to get more ambitious, how about the Android
printer app. Well, to our amazement, it installed perfectly (4.2.1) and
in spite of the Brother website claiming the printer was not supported,
it all worked perfectly first time. Total time less than 10mins. So the
phone can now print it's own pictures full size on A4 (make sure you use
photo paper and tell it it's a photo) and do various other things on the
network printer. I now have to clone the linux drives for the other
computers to avoid another download and install job. Sometimes you get
lucky.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 19:39:54 +0100, Capitol
wrote:

[...]

"A fixed IP address from the router" sounds like you used address
reservation within the DHCP scope to always give the printer the same
IP address.

I would have given the printer a specific non DHCP address outside the
scope, then nothing would need rebooting except possibly the printer.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2014 21:05, Graham. wrote:

"A fixed IP address from the router" sounds like you used address
reservation within the DHCP scope to always give the printer the same
IP address.

I would have given the printer a specific non DHCP address outside the
scope, then nothing would need rebooting except possibly the printer.

'swot I do with mine (an HP).

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk