jon

Default interior Painting newly built house ?

"josepea" wrote in message
om...
I want to paint my living room walls. The house is newly built-only
six years old. The walls were painted initially with what can only be
described as a powdery matt paint. If you brush past the walls then
you get the powdery stuff on your clothes ! I've tried to wash down
the walls with sugar soap and some of the powder paint has come off
revealing bare plasterboard.Any advice on how to prepare the walls for
painting ?

Josepea

Wash down to remove majority of poor quality paint, as you have already
tried in places.
Then seal the walls by brushing on a primer coat of PVA/water mixed as per
instructions on the can.

PVA is available from most / all diy chains, builders merchants and even the
local Wilko style places.

Once the PVA has sealed the plasterboard then paint as normal.

HTH, Jon

Grunff

josepea wrote:

I want to paint my living room walls. The house is newly built-only
six years old. The walls were painted initially with what can only be
described as a powdery matt paint. If you brush past the walls then
you get the powdery stuff on your clothes ! I've tried to wash down
the walls with sugar soap and some of the powder paint has come off
revealing bare plasterboard.Any advice on how to prepare the walls for
painting ?

PVA:water mix, about 1:4

--
Grunff
Grunff

Lobster wrote:

I'm just wondering, is the all-curing PVA really appropriate for this
application? I ask because I have recently had a whole house skim-plastered,
which I followed up by painting the lot with 1:4 PVA prior to applying vinyl
silk emulsion which I'm now doing. However, the PVA'd walls are now quite
shiny and impervious and I have to say I'm a bit concerned how the emulsion
is adhering to its substrate; doesn't seem that great to me. I'm worried
it's all going to fall off. Previously I've used dilute emulsion to prime
the plaster, which seemed to work better TBH.

Blasphemy! Stoooone him!!

I suspect you may have used it too neat. I wouldn't personally PVA fresh
plaster, not really much point. Some people like to apply watered down
emulsion first, I just paint it. Never had problems doing it that way.

As for this situation, powdery surfaces are a real nightmare, and really
the only way to cure is to stick it all together. PVA will do this well.

--
Grunff

stuart noble

Lobster wrote in message
I've just been investigating my newly emulsioned paintwork further;
there's little doubt that if you scratch at it, the paint readily
peels off the plaster. Omigod. I've already done several rooms
completely; looks fab, but clearly won't for long.

I've had problems with Dulux emulsion. Crown is "thinner" but seems to cover
and adhere better

What are the panel's suggestions for the few remaining rooms, in which
the newly skimmed walls have already been treated with 4:1 PVA? Is
there a way I can undo its deleterious effect before painting?
Sanding off a few microns and then doing it again with dilute
emulsion? Yeeuch.

IME a coat of 4:1 water/pva doesn't create a film over new plaster but
subsequent coats may well do. In this case the first coat of paint should be
applied sparingly so that it looks more like a wash. Once the initial bond
is there the 2nd coat normally takes well.

josepea

"jon" wrote in message ...
"josepea" wrote in message
[...]

I've justed visited Wilko and read the instructions on the back of
their PVA. It actually says it is not suitable to be used as a primer
prior to painting so now I'm confused !

Josepea
Lobster

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
I've just been investigating my newly emulsioned paintwork further;
there's little doubt that if you scratch at it, the paint readily
peels off the plaster. Omigod. I've already done several rooms
completely; looks fab, but clearly won't for long.

I've had problems with Dulux emulsion. Crown is "thinner" but seems to

cover
and adhere better

I'm using Leyland Vinyl Silk

What are the panel's suggestions for the few remaining rooms, in which
the newly skimmed walls have already been treated with 4:1 PVA? Is
there a way I can undo its deleterious effect before painting?
Sanding off a few microns and then doing it again with dilute
emulsion? Yeeuch.

IME a coat of 4:1 water/pva doesn't create a film over new plaster but
subsequent coats may well do. In this case the first coat of paint should

be
applied sparingly so that it looks more like a wash. Once the initial bond
is there the 2nd coat normally takes well.

Do you mean to dilute the first layer, or just brush it out very thinly
(against mfr's advice on the tin, incidentally!)

Thanks
David

Set Square

josepea wrote:

Wash down to remove majority of poor quality paint, as you have
already tried in places.
Then seal the walls by brushing on a primer coat of PVA/water mixed
as per instructions on the can.

PVA is available from most / all diy chains, builders merchants and
even the local Wilko style places.

Once the PVA has sealed the plasterboard then paint as normal.

HTH, Jon

I've justed visited Wilko and read the instructions on the back of
their PVA. It actually says it is not suitable to be used as a primer
prior to painting so now I'm confused !

Josepea

Well, have a look at:

http://www.esecure.co.uk/newbiokilsh...&fromfront=yip

That clearly says that its ok for priming!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

stuart noble

Lobster wrote in message
Do you mean to dilute the first layer, or just brush it out very thinly
(against mfr's advice on the tin, incidentally!)

I'd brush thinly, but diluting might work better. Suck it and see really.
Whatever it takes to get a film of some kind that you can't easily scratch
off with your fingernail. Bear in mind that emulsion paint takes a couple of
days to dry fully. As long as you can still smell the paint, there are
solvents evaporating off and they're the ones to do with film formation and
the eventual toughness of the paint.