DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Old Films - Sheffield Steel and other British Council Films (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/371313-ot-old-films-sheffield-steel-other-british-council-films.html)

ARW May 29th 14 07:39 PM

OT Old Films - Sheffield Steel and other British Council Films

http://film.britishcouncil.org/steel

(because that was the one I heard about on the radio)

linked to from here

http://timeimage.org.uk/2014/05/29/b...tion-complete/

or here

http://film.britishcouncil.org/briti...lm-collection/

I am sure at least one poster here will find something worth watching on the
site instead of actually doing any DIY.

--
Adam

michael adams[_8_] May 30th 14 12:55 PM

"ARW" wrote in message
http://film.britishcouncil.org/steel

(because that was the one I heard about on the radio)

linked to from here

http://timeimage.org.uk/2014/05/29/b...tion-complete/

or here

http://film.britishcouncil.org/briti...lm-collection/

I am sure at least one poster here will find something worth watching on the site
instead of actually doing any DIY.

--
Adam

Great link, thanks.

Pathe on Youtube and now this as well.

michael adams

newshound May 30th 14 04:28 PM

On 30/05/2014 12:55, michael adams wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
http://film.britishcouncil.org/steel

(because that was the one I heard about on the radio)

linked to from here

http://timeimage.org.uk/2014/05/29/b...tion-complete/

or here

http://film.britishcouncil.org/briti...lm-collection/

I am sure at least one poster here will find something worth watching on the site
instead of actually doing any DIY.

--
Adam

Great link, thanks.

Pathe on Youtube and now this as well.

michael adams

Yes indeed. Only watched the steel one so far. Fascinating not just for
the engineering but also the social details, not to mention the H&S!
Loved the guy forging the boiler drum for a Russian power station on a
7k ton press.

ARW May 30th 14 07:05 PM

OT Old Films - Sheffield Steel and other British Council Films

o.uk...
"ARW" wrote in message
http://film.britishcouncil.org/steel

(because that was the one I heard about on the radio)

linked to from here

http://timeimage.org.uk/2014/05/29/b...tion-complete/

or here

http://film.britishcouncil.org/briti...lm-collection/

I am sure at least one poster here will find something worth watching on
the site
instead of actually doing any DIY.

--
Adam

Great link, thanks.

Pathe on Youtube and now this as well.

michael adams

Yes indeed. Only watched the steel one so far. Fascinating not just for
the engineering but also the social details, not to mention the H&S! Loved
the guy forging the boiler drum for a Russian power station on a 7k ton
press.

Try this one next

http://film.britishcouncil.org/power-lines

--
Adam

michael adams[_8_] May 30th 14 08:03 PM

OT Old Films - Sheffield Steel and other British Council Films

"ARW" wrote in message
o.uk...
"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

I've already watched loads of them. They make it easy with a
download link then its just a matter of converting the MP4's.

I'm so sad I actually buy BFI DVD's made up of these things.
"Stone To Steel" is a colour film about the S****horpe Steel
Works as it was in 1960 although if you didn't know where it
was, you might think it was in the USSR.

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcE3ji2q7XQ

There's a link to part 2 at the side

Part 2 gets a bit weird near the end and there's a bit in the
rolling mill where they're throwing twigs and bits of dead bushes
onto the billets as they're about to go through the rollers.
However it's at this stage that the film goes a bit "symbolic"
and so maybe that explains it.

michael adams

michael adams

michael adams[_8_] May 30th 14 08:23 PM

OT Old Films - Sheffield Steel and other British Council Films Corected repost

"ARW" wrote in message
o.uk...
"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry there's in fact three parts not 2 and the bit with the twigs is at
8.21 on part 3

Davey May 31st 14 11:22 AM

OT Old Films - Sheffield Steel and other British Council Films

On Thu, 29 May 2014 19:39:39 +0100
"ARW" wrote:

http://film.britishcouncil.org/steel

(because that was the one I heard about on the radio)

linked to from here

http://timeimage.org.uk/2014/05/29/b...tion-complete/

or here

http://film.britishcouncil.org/briti...lm-collection/

I am sure at least one poster here will find something worth watching
on the site instead of actually doing any DIY.

If you are also interested in farming and country history, the
University of East Anglia released an archive a couple of years ago.
"Village in the Wheatfields" was one such film, and there are several
showing agricultural development post-war. I can supply a link, if
wanted.

--
Davey.

Davey May 31st 14 11:26 AM

OT Old Films - Sheffield Steel and other British Council Films

"ARW" wrote:

http://film.britishcouncil.org/steel

(because that was the one I heard about on the radio)

linked to from here

http://timeimage.org.uk/2014/05/29/b...tion-complete/

or here

http://film.britishcouncil.org/briti...lm-collection/

I am sure at least one poster here will find something worth
watching on the site instead of actually doing any DIY.

If you are also interested in farming and country history, the
University of East Anglia released an archive a couple of years ago.
"Village in the Wheatfields" was one such film, and there are several
showing agricultural development post-war. I can supply a link, if
wanted.

He
http://www.eafa.org.uk/default.aspx

The BBC also has a collection of Railway films, that could not
officially be downloaded, the last time I looked.

--
Davey.

newshound May 31st 14 06:26 PM

OT Old Films - Sheffield Steel and other British Council Films

o.uk...
"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

I remember that one from CEGB training in the late 1960's. Alvar Lidell
and Norman Shelley, no less.