Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spontaneous shattering of double glazed panels

I had a Velux roof window (double-glazed glass panel) spontaneously
shatter earlier this year (one of four in the kitchen) that was
installed 2002-3 time-frame. It turns out this is a known problem and
Velux have a formal recall programme
https://www.velux.co.uk/safety-warning-new . A contractor came out
within a day to make the panel safe and a few weeks later all the panels
had been replaced. I was very impressed with how Velux handled this.

As an aside, the serial nos of our glass panels weren't flagged by the
website checker as being covered by the recall but I sent photos to
Velux who promptly decided we were eligible.

On 14/05/2021 14:01, 2dallies wrote:
Hi, we have just had the same problem. Inside window of double glazed
roof panel blew and shattered everywhere. I was sitting under it,
luckily was agile enough to move quickly, but if a child, elderly person
or my animals were sitting underneath it could have killed them!Â* The
conservatorys only 2 and a half years old, Creative View who built it
all say €˜its common and say our 10 year guarantees and insurances
dont cover this (?) and want £1200 to fit a new panel!!Â* Given there
are lots of panels and they give no explanation of why or would even
visit to check, Im to scared to use the conservatory again, or let
anyone else in there. Anyone know how to prevent this happening again?
Do I not use heating in there (though it wasnt on as it was 9.30am on a
sunny morning and the doors were open). Or where to get protective film
(as a previous post suggests).
Or some sort of netting to catch the glass? Thank You

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Myself I'd query the warranty not covering it. After all if it is known to
be a problem then are they supplying dangerous products?When mass producing
units the cost of the proper glass for the inside would be minimal I'd have
thought. Besides it would be nice to know what eye mechanism for it is.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"2dallies" wrote in message
sgroupdirect.com...
Hi, we have just had the same problem. Inside window of double glazed roof
panel blew and shattered everywhere. I was sitting under it, luckily was
agile enough to move quickly, but if a child, elderly person or my animals
were sitting underneath it could have killed them! The conservatory's
only 2 and a half years old, Creative View who built it all say 'it's
common' and say our 10 year guarantees and insurances don't cover this (?)
and want £1200 to fit a new panel!! Given there are lots of panels and

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ls-974349-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That sounds like a great service, well done Velux. Id definitely look into their products in future.
Sadly the company I used (Creative View in Clacton) have no interest in helping us, or customer service with reassurance if it will, or might happen again.
We have tried to challenge the warranty /guarantees to no avail. Their only comment is we can get another glass unit, but it wont be the same colour, itll cost £1200, take 2-3 months and they want 75% payment up front!!!!
Ive asked other glazers (weve been quoted approx £280 - £300 by four different ones), but using someone else will probably invalidate our original 10 year warranty, and guarantees, if theres any other issues (not that the guarantees seem worth the paper they are written on!!).

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ls-974349-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi, we have just had the same problem. Inside window of double glazed
roof panel blew and shattered everywhere. I was sitting under it,
luckily was agile enough to move quickly, but if a child, elderly person
or my animals were sitting underneath it could have killed them! The
conservatory?s only 2 and a half years old, Creative View who built it
all say ?it?s common? and say our 10 year guarantees and insurances
don?t cover this (?) and want £1200 to fit a new panel!! Given there
are lots of panels and they give no explanation of why or would even
visit to check, I?m to scared to use the conservatory again, or let
anyone else in there. Anyone know how to prevent this happening again?
Do I not use heating in there (though it wasn?t on as it was 9.30am on a
sunny morning and the doors were open). Or where to get protective film
(as a previous post suggests).
Or some sort of netting to catch the glass? Thank You

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ls-974349-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Before replying to a 7 year old post from a broken website, please read
this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub