Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default making hole in carpet

I have a new marine carpet ... this has waterproof rubber impregnated
backing, all edges are bound ...
However they forgot to add a hole though carpet at one point to access
hatch opening catch.
Normally a 75-100 hole is in the carpet to allow latch operation (lift &
turn type).

I can easily make the hole, but how can I neatly 'bind the edges of the
the hole ?

Suggestions ?
I certainly don't have skills to hand sew it.

My only thought so far is to glue on a binding tape with Stormeal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/STORMSURE-ST.../dp/B002YXYTPI
Used this stuff on covers, and even on diving dry-suits ... certainly
sticky & waterproof, but may not be easy to do this and keep it neat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 14:22:09 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

However they forgot to add a hole though carpet at one point to access
hatch opening catch.

They "forgot" take it back and tell them to supply what you ordered.

If you bugger about with it out goes any warranty.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 15:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 14:22:09 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

However they forgot to add a hole though carpet at one point to access
hatch opening catch.

They "forgot" take it back and tell them to supply what you ordered.

If you bugger about with it out goes any warranty.

It came as a 'custom' set for boat, it all fits a treat .... just the
hole missing.
http://tinyurl.com/ob9o5jw

You can see there is a centre 'hatch' the hole to allow access to catch
is missing.

Unfortunately dealer says that is all he has .. and no other in stock
.... can't justify cost to send carpet back to US for this. (large & heavy)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 18:03, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 08/04/2014 15:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 14:22:09 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

However they forgot to add a hole though carpet at one point to access
hatch opening catch.

They "forgot" take it back and tell them to supply what you ordered.

If you bugger about with it out goes any warranty.

It came as a 'custom' set for boat, it all fits a treat .... just the
hole missing.
http://tinyurl.com/ob9o5jw

You can see there is a centre 'hatch' the hole to allow access to catch
is missing.

Unfortunately dealer says that is all he has .. and no other in stock
... can't justify cost to send carpet back to US for this. (large & heavy)

It should still be the dealer's responsibility to get it modified to fit
the description - not yours! Make him find someone to cut the hole and
bind it properly.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 19:04:03 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Unfortunately dealer says that is all he has .. and no other in

stock
... can't justify cost to send carpet back to US for this. (large

&
heavy)

It should still be the dealer's responsibility to get it modified to fit
the description - not yours! Make him find someone to cut the hole and
bind it properly.

The cost of return shipping and then back are debateable, what do the
T&C's say?

You could possibly find a company over here to quote for the work
then get payment from the seller in the states before proceeding. TBH
looking at the image anything you do is going to look crap without
the proper edge binding.

The cynic in me says the seller knew perfectly well this was a
"faulty" set and sent it overseas reasonably confident that the
hassle/cost of return would be too great.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 20:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Would the Sale Of Goods act not apply to the UK supplier, as in the
goods are "Unfit for purpose" or "Not as described", so making it the
supplier's responsibility to sort it out free of charge?

Or a professional carpet fitter should be able to cut and bind the edges
to the same standard as the maker, at a cost.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ob9o5jw

You can see there is a centre 'hatch' the hole to allow access to catch
is missing.

without seeing what sort of catch is under there ... rather than cutting
the carpet to access the existing catch, couldn't you screw a "nautical
looking" brass handle that folds down through the carpet onto the hatch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/04/2014 20:47, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

He should reimburse or pay for someone else to do the adjustment, I
would make him an offer to reimburse or pay for someone to do it, if
supplier wants then he picks the company. I would also try and get an
invoice for the work so that you get paid before its done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 19:04, Roger Mills wrote:
On 08/04/2014 18:03, Rick Hughes wrote:

It should still be the dealer's responsibility to get it modified to fit
the description - not yours! Make him find someone to cut the hole and
bind it properly.

I did ... the answer was it is as you bought it ....

as dealer is not in UK ... not much I can do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 21:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ob9o5jw

You can see there is a centre 'hatch' the hole to allow access to catch
is missing.

without seeing what sort of catch is under there ... rather than cutting
the carpet to access the existing catch, couldn't you screw a "nautical
looking" brass handle that folds down through the carpet onto the hatch?

I think that "catch" is typo for "hatch". Under the cut out flap part of
the carpet is a reasonably large hatch which opens upwards through the
flap area. It looks as if that flap needs to be opened to access the
engine bay for daily checks.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 20:47:18 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Would the Sale Of Goods act not apply to the UK supplier, as in the
goods are "Unfit for purpose" or "Not as described", so making it the
supplier's responsibility to sort it out free of charge?

Where does it say that the seller is in the UK?

Unfortunately dealer says that is all he has .. and no other in stock
... can't justify cost to send carpet back to US for this. (large &
heavy)

Is ambigious. If it is a UK seller reject the goods, get full refund
inc all carriage costs and buy elsewhere.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 21:58, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 08/04/2014 19:04, Roger Mills wrote:
On 08/04/2014 18:03, Rick Hughes wrote:

It should still be the dealer's responsibility to get it modified to fit
the description - not yours! Make him find someone to cut the hole and
bind it properly.

I did ... the answer was it is as you bought it ....

as dealer is not in UK ... not much I can do.

Sorry, I hadn't appreciated that you bought it direct from USA - I
assumed that you had bought it via a UK-based intermediary.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ob9o5jw

You can see there is a centre 'hatch' the hole to allow access to catch
is missing.

without seeing what sort of catch is under there ... rather than cutting
the carpet to access the existing catch, couldn't you screw a "nautical
looking" brass handle that folds down through the carpet onto the hatch?

Its a 'sunk' in stainless catch, that you lift to upright, then turn
through 90 degree to allow hatch to open.

There is no option to send it back, somehow I have to find a fix ...
I'll try a couple of carpet places .... some advertise 'binding' of
offcuts to make a rug, but I'm guessing this requires machine running
around edge (or in fact machine stays put and you move carpet.)

Which may make it difficult to work 'inside' a hole.

I could cut in from edge into hole, so binding could follow line of
existing binding.
something like: http://tinyurl.com/qgavr95

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 08/04/2014 14:22, Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a new marine carpet ... this has waterproof rubber impregnated
backing, all edges are bound ...
However they forgot to add a hole though carpet at one point to access
hatch opening catch.
Normally a 75-100 hole is in the carpet to allow latch operation (lift &
turn type).

I can easily make the hole, but how can I neatly 'bind the edges of the
the hole ?

Suggestions ?
I certainly don't have skills to hand sew it.

My only thought so far is to glue on a binding tape with Stormeal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/STORMSURE-ST.../dp/B002YXYTPI

Used this stuff on covers, and even on diving dry-suits ... certainly
sticky & waterproof, but may not be easy to do this and keep it neat.

Could you use a plastic inspection port to trim the hole? Need to make a
sandwich with something on the back of the carpet, but if the backing is
thick and compressible enough it should work. Can you get stainless pop
rivets?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:54:34 PM UTC+1, Lee wrote:
[...]

Carpet appears to be held down by two studs in that area. Could you not live with lifting the carpet to gain access to the handle ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 22:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Dave ... return or getting money back is not an option .... I have used
the goods, and made a load of holes in them (press stud fittings had to
be fitted) and therefore cannot return goods.

So have to find a DIY (or bought) solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 22:00, John Williamson wrote:

No its not a typo ... I see confusion .... under carpet is a floor
locker hinged at rear, it is used for water skis, knee-boards etc.

At the front (under carpet) is a catch, it is a round unit recessed into
the locker lid, the catch can lift up to vertical (looks like a large
letter 'D') then it turns thru 90 deg and allows the locker lid to open.

Here is a pic of a previous boat ...and the way they provide access to
the catch:
http://tinyurl.com/qzm2rtw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2014 07:10, fred wrote:

Carpet appears to be held down by two studs in that area. Could you not live with lifting the carpet to gain access to the handle ?

That is what we have been doing so far, but can see that constant
pulling on studs is loosening them and will ultimately pull them through
the carpet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:56:49 AM UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 09/04/2014 07:10, fred wrote:

Carpet appears to be held down by two studs in that area. Could you not live with lifting the carpet to gain access to the handle ?

That is what we have been doing so far, but can see that constant

pulling on studs is loosening them and will ultimately pull them through

the carpet.

Perhaps you could substitute a different type of fastener that would take a bit of abuse and reinforce the backing on the carpet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Rick Hughes wrote:

[...]

I googled 'stainless steel rectangular grommet'.

The idea is you cut the carpet to suit the grommet and then use the
stainless steel grommet to cover the less than perfect cut edge.

There were loads of hits - perhaps you want something like this?
http://hardwareconcepts.com/2012/ind...product_id=972

You just want to choose a grommet about the right size for the catch.

It would be even better if you could screw it down with stainless screws
- perhaps make a small feature of it. This sort of look:
http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/we.../1000x1000.jpg

(I'm not suggesting that - it's a fuel cap surround for an MGF - but you
can see the look I had in mind.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 14:22, Rick Hughes wrote:

Thought I had a solution .... local carpet shop have a machine than
whips the edges of off-cuts to turn then into rugs, spoke to 2 of the
staff there ... they said 'no problem'

But when I called back (several times) to get price, they seemed very
reticent, now they advise don't think it will do an internal loop.
So back to looking for a solution.

If I could find an upholsterer maybe sowing on an edging tape (like
wrapping cut edge in a U shaped piece of fabric) ... maybe a way forward.