DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Buzzing Thermostat (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/369207-buzzing-thermostat.html)

thescullster March 27th 14 11:30 AM

Buzzing Thermostat

Hi all

I have a Honeywell T6360B room stat controlling the fan on a Myson kick
space heater.
http://www.directheatingsupplies.co....FWfLtAodNAQArw

After only a year of operation it has started buzzing for a good few
seconds on each switching operation.

The fan rating is only 3A so should be well within the capacity of the stat.

Is this just a duffer, or am I missing something?

I thought this would be the simplest most reliable solution for the
application. It seems to provide the control required, just makes a
noise doing it!

Thanks

Phil

Phil L March 27th 14 01:01 PM

Buzzing Thermostat

thescullster wrote:
Hi all

I have a Honeywell T6360B room stat controlling the fan on a Myson
kick space heater.
http://www.directheatingsupplies.co....FWfLtAodNAQArw

After only a year of operation it has started buzzing for a good few
seconds on each switching operation.

The fan rating is only 3A so should be well within the capacity of
the stat.
Is this just a duffer, or am I missing something?

I thought this would be the simplest most reliable solution for the
application. It seems to provide the control required, just makes a
noise doing it!

That's exactly the same one I have for my CH, and it's never made a sound.
Take the front cover off and have a look inside, maybe there's a wire arcing
or something else untoward going on.
Turn the stat down first, then when it's exposed, create demand and see
what's happening.

Graham.[_5_] March 27th 14 01:41 PM

Buzzing Thermostat

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 11:30:20 +0000, thescullster
wrote:

Hi all

I have a Honeywell T6360B room stat controlling the fan on a Myson kick
space heater.
http://www.directheatingsupplies.co....FWfLtAodNAQArw

After only a year of operation it has started buzzing for a good few
seconds on each switching operation.

The fan rating is only 3A so should be well within the capacity of the stat.

Is this just a duffer, or am I missing something?

I thought this would be the simplest most reliable solution for the
application. It seems to provide the control required, just makes a
noise doing it!

Thanks

Phil

There isn't anything in those that can buzz apart from the contacts
arcing, and I imagine that is what's happening.

The contacts might have a tiny magnet incorporated to make the action
more positive.

You may be able to clean and re-tension the contacts.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

[email protected] March 27th 14 04:48 PM

Buzzing Thermostat

wrote:

I have a Honeywell T6360B room stat controlling the fan on a Myson kick
space heater.

After only a year of operation it has started buzzing for a good few
seconds on each switching operation.

There isn't anything in those that can buzz apart from the contacts
arcing, and I imagine that is what's happening.
The contacts might have a tiny magnet incorporated to make the action
more positive.
You may be able to clean and re-tension the contacts.

If its bimetal, check thermostat contacts & cable screws.

NT

Bob Minchin[_4_] March 27th 14 05:27 PM

Buzzing Thermostat

wrote:

I have a Honeywell T6360B room stat controlling the fan on a Myson kick
space heater.

After only a year of operation it has started buzzing for a good few
seconds on each switching operation.

There isn't anything in those that can buzz apart from the contacts
arcing, and I imagine that is what's happening.
The contacts might have a tiny magnet incorporated to make the action
more positive.
You may be able to clean and re-tension the contacts.

If its bimetal, check thermostat contacts & cable screws.

NT

And the heating element wound around the bi-metal strip.

Bob

thescullster March 28th 14 08:24 AM

Buzzing Thermostat

wrote:

I have a Honeywell T6360B room stat controlling the fan on a Myson kick
space heater.

After only a year of operation it has started buzzing for a good few
seconds on each switching operation.

There isn't anything in those that can buzz apart from the contacts
arcing, and I imagine that is what's happening.
The contacts might have a tiny magnet incorporated to make the action
more positive.
You may be able to clean and re-tension the contacts.

If its bimetal, check thermostat contacts & cable screws.

NT

And the heating element wound around the bi-metal strip.

Bob

Thanks guys

I'll check it out this weekend

Phil

Rick Hughes[_5_] March 31st 14 12:07 PM

Buzzing Thermostat

On 27/03/2014 17:27, Bob Minchin wrote:

And the heating element wound around the bi-metal strip.

Bob

Never really understood why they have a heating element ? ..... do you
know why.
Sort of expected Bimetallic strip would simply respond to the air temp,
so why does it need heating ?

Chris J Dixon March 31st 14 12:19 PM

Buzzing Thermostat

Rick Hughes wrote:

Never really understood why they have a heating element ? ..... do you
know why.
Sort of expected Bimetallic strip would simply respond to the air temp,
so why does it need heating ?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...acceler ation

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Rod Speed March 31st 14 08:22 PM

Buzzing Thermostat

Rick Hughes wrote
Bob Minchin wrote

And the heating element wound around the bi-metal strip.

Never really understood why they have a heating element ? ..... do you
know why.

It essentially radically reduces the dead zone.

Sort of expected Bimetallic strip would simply
respond to the air temp, so why does it need heating ?

See above.