Junior Member

Default Golden rules of DIY and property design: Help needed

Hi,

My name is Tudor and I am writing at blog about the golden rules of DIY and property design. Would members be open to providing me with their Golden Rule, the one piece of advice they stick to or would recommend others to follow, or perhaps just a sound principle they have learnt and now swear by.

Basically I want to compile these into one blog post, giving the best advice. If you would help me it would be much appreciated. All I need is your quote (50-150 words), your name and your location.

I will also give credit to the forum for helping me to write the piece, as well as all contributors.

Thanks,

Tudor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

tudordavies

From https://twitter.com/Tudor_Davies :

"No matter what kind of work you're in, do it fast, do it perfectly and do it on time. - For me that's sharing great content about all manor of topics.."

From http://uk.linkedin.com/in/daviestudor :

"This involves quality assurance work to determine that the work carried out by my team meets the required standard...On a monthly basis this role involves the delivery of individual strategies to over 40 different clients, monitoring the success of each campaign, it's impact to the performance of each website..."

Oh, the irony.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tudordavies wrote:

Hi,

My name is Tudor and I am writing at blog about the golden rules of DIY
and property design. Would members be open to providing me with their
Golden Rule, the one piece of advice they stick to or would recommend
others to follow, or perhaps just a sound principle they have learnt and
now swear by.

Basically I want to compile these into one blog post, giving the best
advice. If you would help me it would be much appreciated. All I need is
your quote (50-150 words), your name and your location.

I will also give credit to the forum for helping me to write the piece,
as well as all contributors.

"Measure twice (or even thrice) and cut once."

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From https://twitter.com/Tudor_Davies :

From http://uk.linkedin.com/in/daviestudor :

"This involves quality assurance work to determine that the work carried out by my team meets the required standard...On a monthly basis this role involves the delivery of individual strategies to over 40 different clients, monitoring the success of each campaign, it's impact to the performance of each website..."

Oh, the irony.

An the bullwash!

--
Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:14:15 PM UTC, charles wrote:

"Measure twice (or even thrice) and cut once."

And cut along the right axis.

I measured twice, and then proceeded to cut 4cm off of the short edge. Should have been off the long edge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:08:58 +0100, tudordavies wrote:

Would members be open to providing me with their Golden Rule, the one
piece of advice they stick to or would recommend others to follow, or
perhaps just a sound principle they have learnt and now swear by.

Never waste time replying to spamming ****bubbles.

Oh, wait a sec.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:42:33 PM UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:08:58 +0100, tudordavies wrote:

Would members be open to providing me with their Golden Rule, the one

piece of advice they stick to or would recommend others to follow, or

perhaps just a sound principle they have learnt and now swear by.

Never waste time replying to spamming ****bubbles.

Oh, wait a sec.

s'OK Bill Wright will be along to help him out soon...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

s'OK Bill Wright will be along to help him out soon...

Jim K

Yes OK. Here's mine. You'll already know it. The rule of Ps: Proper
Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:08:58 +0100, tudordavies wrote:

Would members be open to providing me with their Golden Rule, the one
piece of advice they stick to or would recommend others to follow, or
perhaps just a sound principle they have learnt and now swear by.

Never waste time replying to spamming ****bubbles.

Oh, wait a sec.

Turning off power before doing electrical work makes wire identification
tricky.

Cheap adjustable spammers are WAY better than overpriced "proper" spanners.

A hammer makes a useful screwdriver in a pinch.

Decorating is easy and quick if you don't bother preparing any surfaces.

Leak testing after gas work is over-rated.

There's a few to being going on with.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 February 2014 15:08:58 UTC, tudordavies wrote:
Hi,

My name is Tudor and I am writing at blog about the golden rules of DIY

and property design. Would members be open to providing me with their

Golden Rule, the one piece of advice they stick to or would recommend

others to follow, or perhaps just a sound principle they have learnt and

now swear by.

Basically I want to compile these into one blog post, giving the best

advice. If you would help me it would be much appreciated. All I need is

your quote (50-150 words), your name and your location.

I will also give credit to the forum for helping me to write the piece,

as well as all contributors.

Thanks,

Tudor

Measure in millimetres or metres. Never allow an assistent to talk to you in centimetres.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 February 2014 16:55:30 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:14:15 PM UTC, charles wrote:

"Measure twice (or even thrice) and cut once."

And cut along the right axis.

I measured twice, and then proceeded to cut 4cm off of the short edge. Should have been off the long edge.

I cut off the left hand end of the plank rather than the right...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes

"Always use an angle grinder"

If it moves but shouldn't, gaffer tape

If it doesn't move but should, WD40

Simples
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:08:58 PM UTC, tudordavies wrote:

Hi,
My name is Tudor and I am writing at blog about the golden rules of DIY
and property design. Would members be open to providing me with their
Golden Rule, the one piece of advice they stick to or would recommend
others to follow, or perhaps just a sound principle they have learnt and
now swear by.
Basically I want to compile these into one blog post, giving the best
advice. If you would help me it would be much appreciated. All I need is
your quote (50-150 words), your name and your location.
I will also give credit to the forum for helping me to write the piece,
as well as all contributors.
Thanks,
Tudor

So:
You behave like a prat and want us to help
You want to give someone else credit for everything we say
You presumably want to profit from you bull****ting about our work
You want our personal data!
AND since we're practical people, more or less none of our single points are as long as 50 words, so you dont want those.

Lol. Where do they get them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:04:57 PM UTC, wrote:

snip treatise

not like you to be unhelpful?

isn't there a dreary ineffectual "wiki" page you could direct him to?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian_Gaff wrote:

You mean like Measure twice cut once.

Isn't it measure once cut twice? How are you supposed to remember
things like this?

-- Richard

In fourteen hundred and ninety-three, Columbus sailed the deep blue sea.
Junior Member

Thank to everyone that gave their advice. Here is the finished article, going over the stats from your responses. Hopefully you will find it insightful:

The Whos Who of Interior Design Infographic | Infographics from Terrys Blinds