Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Global warming

On 08/01/2014 15:26, Jethro_uk wrote:
It was claimed on QI that Norman rabbits were kept penned for centuries,
and only became wild in Victorian times.

Can't say I believed that ....

The Aussies did build a rabbit proof fence, so it might be possible.
However, I also find it rather improbable that every enclosure worked
perfectly for centuries.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 08/01/2014 15:26, Jethro_uk wrote:
It was claimed on QI that Norman rabbits were kept penned for centuries,
and only became wild in Victorian times.

Can't say I believed that ....

The Aussies did build a rabbit proof fence, so it might be possible.
However, I also find it rather improbable that every enclosure worked
perfectly for centuries.

It didn't wwork.
And now they have cane toads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2014 08:16, harryagain wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 08/01/2014 15:26, Jethro_uk wrote:
It was claimed on QI that Norman rabbits were kept penned for centuries,
and only became wild in Victorian times.

Can't say I believed that ....

The Aussies did build a rabbit proof fence, so it might be possible.
However, I also find it rather improbable that every enclosure worked
perfectly for centuries.

It didn't wwork.

It worked in that it slowed the rapid spread of rabbits. However, it is
very difficult to maintain a fence that long, so it didn't stop them
entirely. It became a lot less important as a rabbit control measure
after the introduction of myxomatosis. However, it is still maintained
as it has proved to be a useful barrier against dingos, emus, foxes, and
feral goats. It also provides a 20 metre wide fire break.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

climate change is now what this should be called apparently.
As for rabbits, well, rabbits dig holes so I'd imagine they were not long
in captivity.

Silly answer.

Who took them to Australia though?

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"harryagain" wrote in message

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 08/01/2014 15:26, Jethro_uk wrote:
It was claimed on QI that Norman rabbits were kept penned for centuries,
and only became wild in Victorian times.

Can't say I believed that ....

The Aussies did build a rabbit proof fence, so it might be possible.
However, I also find it rather improbable that every enclosure worked
perfectly for centuries.

It didn't wwork.
And now they have cane toads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2014 11:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
climate change is now what this should be called apparently.
As for rabbits, well, rabbits dig holes so I'd imagine they were not long
in captivity.

Silly answer.

Who took them to Australia though?

It was some stupid Pommy