Old December 12th 13, 07:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radio Antenna on street lights

We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the
old ones too.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old December 12th 13, 07:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:12:58 +0000
mogga wrote:

We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the
old ones too.

Where I lived in the States, they were so that a speeding Police
Cruiser or Fire Engine could signal them on approach to turn green in
its favour.
Or it could be some remote control, allowing individual shut-off,
instead of block by block.
Or, if you see black helicopters marked 'GCHQ' hanging around, they
could be something else entirely.......

There was also a local experiment in the US to provide WiFi for
residents, and they used street light poles to hold the antennae, but
the whole scheme foundered and died. The equipment is probably still
there, if anybody wants it.

--
Davey.
Old December 12th 13, 07:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:12:58 +0000, mogga wrote:

We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the
old ones too.

They are remote controlled and dim-able, we've got them too.

TOJ.
Old December 12th 13, 08:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2013 19:12, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? ...

Mind control - time for the tin foil hat.

Colin Bignell

Old December 12th 13, 08:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2013 19:38, Davey wrote:
There was also a local experiment in the US to provide WiFi for
residents, and they used street light poles to hold the antennae, but
the whole scheme foundered and died. The equipment is probably still
there, if anybody wants it.

Westminster council offer free wireless access in Central London using
wireless access points mounted on lamp post. This is with BT, they use
an SSID of BTWiFi and the service is not that fast (well, it's free).

Now some hospitality buildings I visit also have their guest wireless
provided by BT, and it's the same BTWifi SSID name that's advertised to
use. That one is faster (sometimes upto 20Mbps), but occasionaly I come
across a guest that's unwittedly connected to the lamp post outside the
window, and they are complaining that it's slow. Such fun :-|

--
Adrian C

Old December 12th 13, 08:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetector same as the
old ones too.

Where I lived in the States, they were so that a speeding Police
Cruiser or Fire Engine could signal them on approach to turn green in
its favour.

Er . . the OP was asking about street lights, not traffic lights.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 12th 13, 09:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 12 December 2013 19:47 The Other John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:12:58 +0000, mogga wrote:

We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the
old ones too.

They are remote controlled and dim-able, we've got them too.

Let the hacking being!

I want to see a whole street be a Cylon!

Old December 12th 13, 10:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:31:35 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 12/12/2013 19:12, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? ...

Mind control - time for the tin foil hat.

Colin Bignell

There's a new system coming out for early detection of failing lamps for
seamless replacement by use of the 'distress signals' they emit in the RF
spectrum shortly before failure. These signals are visible on handheld
spectrum analyers which can be driven around in vans checking the
'health' of such lamps; the antennas enable the distress signals to be
detected from further away, thereby shortening the route taken.
Old December 12th 13, 10:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:57:45 -0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 12/12/2013 19:12, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? ...

Mind control - time for the tin foil hat.

Sensors.

When a micro-chipped dog gets too close, the base of the lamp post
generates a static charge.

That'd be interesting to see!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk