Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radio Antenna on street lights

On 14/12/2013 11:38, DerbyBorn wrote:
tony sayer wrote in :

http://www.telensa.com/systems-produ...s-and-modules/

Round our way we have got lights with a magic eye on the top that can see
when it is getting dark and it switches the lamp on - then in the morning
it sees that the sky is getting light and turns it off. I don't think the
idea has much of a future though - it is too simple.

They used to waste a lot of power, they were a LDR and a bi-metallic
strip with a heater.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 14 December 2013 16:56 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 14/12/2013 08:25, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 13 December 2013 23:10 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 13/12/2013 16:42, Tim Watts wrote:

One of the reasons I do not want a smartmeter for electricity...

Smart meters don't use the internet, they use SMS.

Who said anything about "the Internet".

They can also use Zigbee and other short haul radio technologies.

They can use wet string but they don't.

http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/2820

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:36:28 +0000, mogga
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:50:38 +0000, Dave W
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:12:58 +0000, mogga
wrote:

We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the
old ones too.

They've recently replaced all the lights here in Epsom similarly.
The're radio controlled, and report back provided they haven't failed.
They're also dimmed at night to save money. I think there are a few
master lights which do the two-way communication, and they each
control several slave lights.

Someone asked the workmen and they reckon these lights aren't
dimmable.

I found a document from Surrey County Council specifying the lighting
system to be the Harvard 'LeafNut' range. Interesting info he
http://www.harvardeng.com/productsleafnut.do
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2013 18:39, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 14 December 2013 16:56 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 14/12/2013 08:25, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 13 December 2013 23:10 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 13/12/2013 16:42, Tim Watts wrote:

One of the reasons I do not want a smartmeter for electricity...

Smart meters don't use the internet, they use SMS.

Who said anything about "the Internet".

They can also use Zigbee and other short haul radio technologies.

They can use wet string but they don't.

http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/2820

That's what the meter uses to send data to the display, it doesn't mean
you can send stuff to the meter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:27:30 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

I think streetlights are a waste of money. My car has headlights.

Nearest street lights to here are a mile and a half away. On a clear
moonless night the stars and milky way are stunning and provide
enough light to move about safely. Moon light is more than enough.
There is a bit of light pollution from Carlisle 30 miles away if you
know where to look but Teeside is the worst at over 40 miles, I pity
those that can only see a few of the brightest stars due to light
pollution.

Different matter on a thick cloudy night, it is dark, absolutely
dark, disturbingly dark, that's why I have a torch. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:36:52 +0100, tim...... wrote:

Round our way we have got lights with a magic eye on the top that

can
see when it is getting dark and it switches the lamp on - then in

the
morning it sees that the sky is getting light and turns it off.

except that it fails "on" on very cloudy days

If it's cloudly aka dark enough for the light to come on, the light
proably does need to be on. That's certainly the case from my
observations.

Must admit I'm having trouble with this switching off when it's darl
lark. *If* there is a need for street lighting there is a need full
stop. Why should some onegoing to work at 0300 do so without the
"benefit" of street lighting when some one else going to work at 0700
does?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:42:30 +0000, mogga wrote:

measure energy usage for billing purposes and confirm energy savings

Ah the real reason: Accountants.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 15 December 2013 00:18 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:27:30 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

I think streetlights are a waste of money. My car has headlights.

Nearest street lights to here are a mile and a half away. On a clear
moonless night the stars and milky way are stunning and provide
enough light to move about safely. Moon light is more than enough.
There is a bit of light pollution from Carlisle 30 miles away if you
know where to look but Teeside is the worst at over 40 miles, I pity
those that can only see a few of the brightest stars due to light
pollution.

I remember a camping trip to Cape Wrath 20 years ago. It was so unpoluted,
as you say, the arms of the Milky Way were distinct and it was like seeing
into infinity with clarity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

dennis@home wrote:

Smart meters don't use the internet, they use SMS.

Who said anything about "the Internet".
They can also use Zigbee and other short haul radio technologies.

Wireless M-Bus for one ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mogga" wrote in message
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the
old ones too.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

I think the ones in Edinburgh are part of the BusTracker system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:00:04 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Nearest street lights to here are a mile and a half away. On a clear
moonless night the stars and milky way are stunning and provide enough
light to move about safely. Moon light is more than enough. There is a
bit of light pollution from Carlisle 30 miles away if you know where to
look but Teeside is the worst at over 40 miles, I pity those that can
only see a few of the brightest stars due to light pollution.

I remember a camping trip to Cape Wrath 20 years ago. It was so
unpoluted, as you say, the arms of the Milky Way were distinct and it
was like seeing into infinity with clarity.

Yep, it's like that here. Nearest street light's at least four-five miles
away with a big hill in the way. The nearest small city is 20 miles away,
and contributes no light pollution at all. Friends from London just stand
and stare in amazement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2013 08:57, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 14 December 2013 23:08 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 14/12/2013 18:39, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 14 December 2013 16:56 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 14/12/2013 08:25, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 13 December 2013 23:10 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 13/12/2013 16:42, Tim Watts wrote:

One of the reasons I do not want a smartmeter for electricity...

Smart meters don't use the internet, they use SMS.

Who said anything about "the Internet".

They can also use Zigbee and other short haul radio technologies.

They can use wet string but they don't.

http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/2820

That's what the meter uses to send data to the display, it doesn't mean
you can send stuff to the meter.

Justification?

Justify what?
Why do you think they want to know what mobile phone signals are like
where you live before they will fit a smart meter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:27:30 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

I think streetlights are a waste of money. My car has headlights.

Nearest street lights to here are a mile and a half away. On a clear
moonless night the stars and milky way are stunning and provide
enough light to move about safely. Moon light is more than enough.

So there is a good reason to be up in them thar hills then Dave;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Geoff Pearson
scribeth thus

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little
antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the
old ones too.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

I think the ones in Edinburgh are part of the BusTracker system.

I doubt they need to do that most bus tracker systems work up in Band 3
174 to 230 odd MHz and use GPS for the location service and then
transmit that info back to the bus stops on either Band 3 or GSM of some
flavour...

Sometimes even on 459 odd MHz licence exempt services.. Like the car
parks around here..

One here with the aerial some 40 deg off beam;!..

http://goo.gl/maps/Fxra9

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes

Sometimes even on 459 odd MHz licence exempt services.. Like the car
parks around here..

One here with the aerial some 40 deg off beam;!..

http://goo.gl/maps/Fxra9

Any new systems going in now Tony tend to use DMR and send GPS info back
on the radio channel. We have equipped a few bus companies and also a
lot of traffic warden schemes.
--
Bill

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes

Sometimes even on 459 odd MHz licence exempt services.. Like the car
parks around here..

One here with the aerial some 40 deg off beam;!..

http://goo.gl/maps/Fxra9

Any new systems going in now Tony tend to use DMR

Digital version of analogue PMR private mobile radio..

and send GPS info back
on the radio channel. We have equipped a few bus companies and also a
lot of traffic warden schemes.

Ones with built in distruct capabilities perhaps..

After having a run in with a real Hitler the other day after coming back
from the doctors with a very bad bout of gout;((...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes

Any new systems going in now Tony tend to use DMR

Digital version of analogue PMR private mobile radio..

and send GPS info back
on the radio channel. We have equipped a few bus companies and also a
lot of traffic warden schemes.

Ones with built in distruct capabilities perhaps..

After having a run in with a real Hitler the other day after coming back
from the doctors with a very bad bout of gout;((...

Well.
They do have a "stun" "unstun" facility, but I think it only refers to
the radio and not the operator, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about the gout.
--
Bill

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room where the router is instead of the whole house :S
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
scribeth thus
On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room
where the router is instead of the whole house :S

These things here?.

If there're seemingly causing you wi-fi problems then I'd look elsewhere
for the cause of that problem as they work at very low power around the
868 MHz band waay below that used for wi-fi applications....

http://www.telensa.com/systems-produ...s-and-modules/

Scroll down a bit..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2014 22:06, tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
scribeth thus
On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room
where the router is instead of the whole house :S

These things here?.

If there're seemingly causing you wi-fi problems then I'd look elsewhere
for the cause of that problem as they work at very low power around the
868 MHz band waay below that used for wi-fi applications....

http://www.telensa.com/systems-produ...s-and-modules/

Scroll down a bit..

Could the council be planning to roll out "free" wi-fi on the streets?
The test signals prior to an announcement could cause the problems reported.

To the poster with the problem, try changing the channel on your wifi
system. It could be that by coincidence your neighbour has either just
installed wi-fi, or has changed their channel for some reason, such as
installing a new router. One of the network sniffer programs will tell
you if interference is likely to be the cause and suggest the best
channel to use.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2014 21:45, wrote:
On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room where the router is instead of the whole house :S

There are some programs that can determine wifi signal strengths you
might find useful:

One I have used is INSSIDER
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In ,
scribeth thus
On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room
where the router is instead of the whole house :S

These things here?.

If there're seemingly causing you wi-fi problems then I'd look elsewhere
for the cause of that problem as they work at very low power around the
868 MHz band waay below that used for wi-fi applications....

http://www.telensa.com/systems-produ...s-and-modules/

Scroll down a bit..

3rd harmonics? How does low power equate to distance operation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
On 19/06/2014 21:45, wrote:
On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to
the room where the router is instead of the whole house :S

There are some programs that can determine wifi signal strengths you
might find useful:

One I have used is INSSIDER
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Also wifi analyser on Android phones. Very comprehensive data.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 13:45:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room where the router is instead of the whole house :S.

Complain, then. RF polution from poor designed devices is becoming a
major problem.
I don't know for sure what the idea is behind this, but I am aware
that there is a new methodology for detecting street lights that are
about to fail by examining their RF profiles with a spectrum analyser.
Antennas on the posts enable the people monitoring the lights to do so
from further away; therefore more quickly and cheaply than having to
drive directly to each and every one of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/14 21:45, wrote:
On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room where the router is instead of the whole house :S

Have you tried changing your Wifi channel?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:34:00 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Also wifi analyser on Android phones. Very comprehensive data.

For some WiFi signals. It doesn't show point to point WiFi based
links, Bluetooth, various video senders, leaky microwave ovens and
all manner of other kit that uses that bit of spectrum.

Such things have a use but be aware you don't see the whole picture.
There might be software for PC's that do give a proper spectrum
analayser display, that is the actaul RF level over band of
frequencies.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/14 09:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
Have we come back to last Christmas. I though this was solved?

inkeysdownham seems to have a new problem...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Cursitor Doom
scribeth thus
wrote:

On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room

where the router is instead of the whole house :S.

Complain, then. RF polution from poor designed devices is becoming a
major problem.

Complain to whom exactly?. 2.4 Ghz is a free for all these days and
thats just "tough"..

You might try 5.8 Ghz theres more room up there if your equipment is
equipped for that band.....

I don't know for sure what the idea is behind this, but I am aware
that there is a new methodology for detecting street lights that are
about to fail by examining their RF profiles with a spectrum analyser.
Antennas on the posts enable the people monitoring the lights to do so
from further away; therefore more quickly and cheaply than having to
drive directly to each and every one of them.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Capitol
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In ,
scribeth thus
On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:
We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room
where the router is instead of the whole house :S

These things here?.

If there're seemingly causing you wi-fi problems then I'd look elsewhere
for the cause of that problem as they work at very low power around the
868 MHz band waay below that used for wi-fi applications....

http://www.telensa.com/systems-produ...s-and-modules/

Scroll down a bit..

3rd harmonics? How does low power equate to distance operation?

Nope, the people who designed and built that system know exactly what
there're doing!. There're a spin off of this one who if you look at
their client list you'll see there very highly regarded..

http://www.plextek.com/about-us/clients.html

http://www.plextek.com/about-us/linked-companies.html

They use very ultra narrowband techniques for that a bit of which I
think is patented..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In , Capitol
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In ,
scribeth thus
[...]

I'd like to see a spectrum analysis of the complete lamp/wireless
assembly. The word "dimmable" on a discharge lamp does not inspire
confidence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:46:55 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 20/06/14 09:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
Have we come back to last Christmas. I though this was solved?

inkeysdownham seems to have a new problem...

....Posting via Google Groups!

I thought his name was inspired by Sinclair Basic, but it turns out
that he does pokes of an entirely different kind.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 June 2014 22:41:29 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
On 19/06/2014 21:45, wrote:

On Thursday, 12 December 2013 19:12:58 UTC, mogga wrote:

We're getting some new street lights and have noticed they have little

antennas on the top.

What is it for? They look like they have a light detetctor same as the

old ones too.

--

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Weve just got these outside our house and our Wifi is now limited to the room where the router is instead of the whole house :S

There are some programs that can determine wifi signal strengths you

might find useful:

One I have used is INSSIDER

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

istumbler for mac.
http://www.istumbler.net/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 June 2014 11:09:45 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

In , Capitol

scribeth thus

tony sayer wrote:

In ,

scribeth thus

[...]

I thought they were meant to go over to those LEDs that project more light down rather than up.
http://www.bromley.gov.uk/info/20008...eet_lighting/2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I doubt that anything EMC related would be missed by the above firms
involved in that. They have some -very- comprehensive testing
facilities...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought they were meant to go over to those LEDs that project more light down
rather than up.
http://www.bromley.gov.uk/info/20008.../street_lighti
ng/2

Well they are mindful of light pollution these days. However our local
council have reduced the overall light in our street by not replacing
one lamppost when they "upgraded" them;(...
--
Tony Sayer