DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Table sawing aluminium bar. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/365094-table-sawing-aluminium-bar.html)

dennis@home December 10th 13 09:49 PM

Table sawing aluminium bar.

I want to put some grooves across a thick aluminium bar ( groove about
35 mm wide x 12 mm deep, flat bottomed V shape, bar about 35 mm wide and
25 mm thick.

I don't have a milling machine has anyone tried a TCT blade in a table
saw for this sort of thing?

John Rumm December 10th 13 10:00 PM

Table sawing aluminium bar.

On 10/12/2013 21:49, dennis@home wrote:
I want to put some grooves across a thick aluminium bar ( groove about
35 mm wide x 12 mm deep, flat bottomed V shape, bar about 35 mm wide and
25 mm thick.

I don't have a milling machine has anyone tried a TCT blade in a table
saw for this sort of thing?

A TCT saw blade will cut ali... I have used my SCMS for cutting ali
sections in the past, and I know of some people using a unisaw solely
for cuts in ali sheet.

--
Cheers,

John.

Scott M December 10th 13 10:00 PM

Table sawing aluminium bar.

dennis@home wrote:
I want to put some grooves across a thick aluminium bar ( groove about
35 mm wide x 12 mm deep, flat bottomed V shape, bar about 35 mm wide and
25 mm thick.

I don't have a milling machine has anyone tried a TCT blade in a table
saw for this sort of thing?

I've used a proper table saw to cut aluminium - one with a 2' dia blade
and a good whack of momentum in it. An ordinary table saw might do it
but I think you'd be doing very shallow passes as the rake of the teeth
would probably be all wrong.

--
Scott

Stuart Noble December 10th 13 10:09 PM

Table sawing aluminium bar.

On 10/12/2013 21:49, dennis@home wrote:
I want to put some grooves across a thick aluminium bar ( groove about
35 mm wide x 12 mm deep, flat bottomed V shape, bar about 35 mm wide and
25 mm thick.

I don't have a milling machine has anyone tried a TCT blade in a table
saw for this sort of thing?

Cuts ok IME, the more teeth the better obviously. Probably best to do
12mm in stages to be on the safe side

Bob Minchin[_4_] December 11th 13 10:04 AM

Table sawing aluminium bar.

stuart noble wrote:
On 10/12/2013 21:49, dennis@home wrote:
I want to put some grooves across a thick aluminium bar ( groove about
35 mm wide x 12 mm deep, flat bottomed V shape, bar about 35 mm wide and
25 mm thick.

I don't have a milling machine has anyone tried a TCT blade in a table
saw for this sort of thing?

Cuts ok IME, the more teeth the better obviously. Probably best to do
12mm in stages to be on the safe side

It will cut but the bottom of the groove will not be flat as most saw
blade are ground with alternate top bevel (ATB) use a saw doctor to
modify a blade to TFG - flat top ground.

Beware the chips will come off hot DAMHIKT