Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best recommended external wood stain ?

After recommendations here I used Liberon Decking oil on a large decking
project earlier this year.

Have now added a large Pergola project, and along with an outbuilding I
need to coat it all with some good wood stain.

Liberon don't recommend the decking oil on vertical surface .... they do
make a 10yr Extreme Wood stain ... but at ~£30 for 2.L this is not cheap
(would need 4 tins)

What is the considered opinion on best long lasting wood stain (looking
for a light / clear prodcut, eg Liberon poplar)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 06 December 2013 13:33 Rick Hughes wrote in uk.d-i-y:

After recommendations here I used Liberon Decking oil on a large decking
project earlier this year.

Have now added a large Pergola project, and along with an outbuilding I
need to coat it all with some good wood stain.

Liberon don't recommend the decking oil on vertical surface .... they do
make a 10yr Extreme Wood stain ... but at ~£30 for 2.L this is not cheap
(would need 4 tins)

What is the considered opinion on best long lasting wood stain (looking
for a light / clear prodcut, eg Liberon poplar)

I've found Sadolin (classic and others) to be pretty reasonable stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 13:33, Rick Hughes wrote:
After recommendations here I used Liberon Decking oil on a large decking
project earlier this year.

Have now added a large Pergola project, and along with an outbuilding I
need to coat it all with some good wood stain.

Liberon don't recommend the decking oil on vertical surface .... they do
make a 10yr Extreme Wood stain ... but at ~£30 for 2.L this is not cheap
(would need 4 tins)

What is the considered opinion on best long lasting wood stain (looking
for a light / clear prodcut, eg Liberon poplar)

I expect Liberon are just covering their arse. Providing you "massage"
the oil into the wood, and don't tosh it on with a yard broom, it's
unlikely to form puddles at the base.
IME no finish extends the life of the timber, and most commit you to a
lifetime of refinishing. I prefer the natural silver grey look
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 17:28, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Don't see why this would be arse covering .. the opposite they are
recommending a more suitable product form their range.
Also looking at option of Sadolin Classic

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 12:19, Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

Would be nice if it matched your decking though. No reason I can think
of why oil can't be used on vertical surfaces