Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft insulation

What is the type of loft insualtion that looks like chewed up newspaper
called?
We have had an energey survey on a house we are selling and it said there
was no insulation - I want to challenge it with the correct name.

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 15:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
What is the type of loft insualtion that looks like chewed up newspaper
called?
We have had an energey survey on a house we are selling and it said there
was no insulation - I want to challenge it with the correct name.

Do you mean cellulose fibre insulation, which is made from chewed up
newspaper? Not just any insulation, but *eco-friendly* insulation.

This is one brand:

http://www.warmcel.co.uk/

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote in
:

On 05/12/2013 15:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
What is the type of loft insualtion that looks like chewed up
newspaper called?
We have had an energey survey on a house we are selling and it said
there was no insulation - I want to challenge it with the correct
name.

Do you mean cellulose fibre insulation, which is made from chewed up
newspaper? Not just any insulation, but *eco-friendly* insulation.

This is one brand:

http://www.warmcel.co.uk/

Colin Bignell

Does this help?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xt4sejiukj5osc/Loft.jpg

--

DerbyBorn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Does this help?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xt4sejiukj5osc/Loft.jpg

Does this help?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xt4sejiukj5osc/Loft.jpg

Does this help?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xt4sejiukj5osc/Loft.jpg

Can't one of you Virgin customers complain about the dupes? Or it'll
soon be time to kill posts from their server ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes

Can't one of you Virgin customers complain about the dupes? Or it'll
soon be time to kill posts from their server ...

Hear, hear
Hear, hear
Hear, hear
Hear, hear
Hear, hear :-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote in :

On 05/12/2013 15:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
Nightjar wrote in
:

On 05/12/2013 15:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
What is the type of loft insualtion that looks like chewed up
newspaper called?
We have had an energey survey on a house we are selling and it said
there was no insulation - I want to challenge it with the correct
name.

Do you mean cellulose fibre insulation, which is made from chewed up
newspaper? Not just any insulation, but *eco-friendly* insulation.

This is one brand:

http://www.warmcel.co.uk/

Colin Bignell

Does this help?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xt4sejiukj5osc/Loft.jpg

From what I can see, that looks more like vermiculite.

Thanks:
Another pictu
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmz92io6mb...205_155238.jpg

Sorry about the duplicates. I keep getting a message "Done. Waiting for
Confirmation" I must be more patient and stop hitting keys.

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 16:34, DerbyBorn wrote:
Fredxxx wrote in :

On 05/12/2013 15:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
Nightjar wrote in
:

On 05/12/2013 15:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
What is the type of loft insualtion that looks like chewed up
newspaper called?
We have had an energey survey on a house we are selling and it said
there was no insulation - I want to challenge it with the correct
name.

Do you mean cellulose fibre insulation, which is made from chewed up
newspaper? Not just any insulation, but *eco-friendly* insulation.

This is one brand:

http://www.warmcel.co.uk/

Colin Bignell

Does this help?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xt4sejiukj5osc/Loft.jpg

From what I can see, that looks more like vermiculite.

Thanks:
Another pictu
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmz92io6mb...205_155238.jpg

Sorry about the duplicates. I keep getting a message "Done. Waiting for
Confirmation" I must be more patient and stop hitting keys.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite

It looks pretty much like vermiculite to me. It's far more pleasant on
the skin and doesn't get suck in your throat like glass fibre and I have
no idea why the EPC surveyor disregarded it. They do have some strange
rules, the last one I talked to said they disregard the thickness of
wood if you've boarded your loft!

Rather worrying comment at the end of the wiki article I hadn't heard
before concerning asbestos!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 16:27, Fredxxx wrote:
On 05/12/2013 15:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
Nightjar wrote in
:

On 05/12/2013 15:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
What is the type of loft insualtion that looks like chewed up
newspaper called?
We have had an energey survey on a house we are selling and it said
there was no insulation - I want to challenge it with the correct
name.

Do you mean cellulose fibre insulation, which is made from chewed up
newspaper? Not just any insulation, but *eco-friendly* insulation.

This is one brand:

http://www.warmcel.co.uk/

Colin Bignell

Does this help?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xt4sejiukj5osc/Loft.jpg

From what I can see, that looks more like vermiculite.

I agree. It looks a bit sparkly, which would be characteristic of
expanded mica aka vermiculite..

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Acoustic insulation: Was: Loft insulation

On Thursday 05 December 2013 16:48 Fredxxx wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It looks pretty much like vermiculite to me. It's far more pleasant on
the skin and doesn't get suck in your throat like glass fibre ...

Is vermiculite any good as a sound insulator (between floors)?

Just wondering...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 16:18, fred wrote:
In article , Andy
Burns writes

Can't one of you Virgin customers complain about the dupes? Or it'll
soon be time to kill posts from their server ...

Hear, hear
Hear, hear
Hear, hear
Hear, hear
Hear, hear :-)

:-)

When things go wrong at Virgin (fortunately not often) you wait till
they put it right (fortunately not very long). The alternative is to
endure many pointless conversations....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 05/12/2013 16:18, fred wrote:
In article , Andy
Burns writes

Can't one of you Virgin customers complain about the dupes? Or it'll
soon be time to kill posts from their server ...

Hear, hear
Hear, hear
Hear, hear
Hear, hear
Hear, hear :-)

:-)

When things go wrong at Virgin (fortunately not often) you wait till they
put it right (fortunately not very long). The alternative is to endure
many pointless conversations....

Eternal-september works well.
Virgin has been **** for a long time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote in :

On 05/12/2013 15:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
Nightjar wrote in
:

On 05/12/2013 15:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
What is the type of loft insualtion that looks like chewed up
newspaper called?
We have had an energey survey on a house we are selling and it said
there was no insulation - I want to challenge it with the correct
name.

Do you mean cellulose fibre insulation, which is made from chewed up
newspaper? Not just any insulation, but *eco-friendly* insulation.

This is one brand:

http://www.warmcel.co.uk/

Colin Bignell

Does this help?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xt4sejiukj5osc/Loft.jpg

From what I can see, that looks more like vermiculite.

Thanks:
Another pictu
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmz92io6mb...205_155238.jpg

Sorry about the duplicates. I keep getting a message "Done. Waiting for
Confirmation" I must be more patient and stop hitting keys.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite

It looks pretty much like vermiculite to me. It's far more pleasant on
the skin and doesn't get suck in your throat like glass fibre and I have
no idea why the EPC surveyor disregarded it. They do have some strange
rules, the last one I talked to said they disregard the thickness of wood
if you've boarded your loft!

Rather worrying comment at the end of the wiki article I hadn't heard
before concerning asbestos!

No I hadn't heard that one either.
Another one here.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5094756_test...-asbestos.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote in :

On 05/12/2013 15:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
Nightjar wrote in
:

On 05/12/2013 15:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
What is the type of loft insualtion that looks like chewed up
newspaper called?
We have had an energey survey on a house we are selling and it said
there was no insulation - I want to challenge it with the correct
name.

Do you mean cellulose fibre insulation, which is made from chewed up
newspaper? Not just any insulation, but *eco-friendly* insulation.

This is one brand:

http://www.warmcel.co.uk/

Colin Bignell

Does this help?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xt4sejiukj5osc/Loft.jpg

From what I can see, that looks more like vermiculite.

Thanks:
Another pictu
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmz92io6mb...205_155238.jpg

Sorry about the duplicates. I keep getting a message "Done. Waiting for
Confirmation" I must be more patient and stop hitting keys.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite

It looks pretty much like vermiculite to me. It's far more pleasant on
the skin and doesn't get suck in your throat like glass fibre and I have
no idea why the EPC surveyor disregarded it. They do have some strange
rules, the last one I talked to said they disregard the thickness of wood
if you've boarded your loft!

Rather worrying comment at the end of the wiki article I hadn't heard
before concerning asbestos!

No I hadn't heard that one either.
Another one here.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5094756_test...-asbestos.html

It seems to be a US concern as I've seen UK building website mentioning
vermiculite for insulation.

I don't know where UK vermiculite has generally come from, or its
asbestos content. It seems the US vermiculite has a history of
contamination.

Given the increasing measures for asbestos and the dusty nature of
vermiculite I might now choose to give it a wide berth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 16:48, Fredxxx wrote:
Rather worrying comment at the end of the wiki article I hadn't heard
before concerning asbestos!

The concern is about vermiculite from the Libby Mine in Montana, which
also had a deposit of tremolite asbestos. About 70% of the vermiculite
sold in the USA from 1919 to 1990 was supplied from that mine, mainly
under the trade name Zonolite. Vermiculite supplied since 1990 is
considered to be safe, as is any that did not come from the Libby mine
before that.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 19:36, Nightjar wrote:
On 05/12/2013 16:48, Fredxxx wrote:
Rather worrying comment at the end of the wiki article I hadn't heard
before concerning asbestos!

The concern is about vermiculite from the Libby Mine in Montana, which
also had a deposit of tremolite asbestos. About 70% of the vermiculite
sold in the USA from 1919 to 1990 was supplied from that mine, mainly
under the trade name Zonolite. Vermiculite supplied since 1990 is
considered to be safe, as is any that did not come from the Libby mine
before that.

Colin Bignell

I think these days it's mainly used to insulate round flue liners,
having the obvious advantage that you just pour it down from the roof.

I use it a lot in the garden. Great soil improver

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 16:48:37 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

It looks pretty much like vermiculite to me. It's far more pleasant on
the skin and doesn't get suck in your throat like glass fibre and I have
no idea why the EPC surveyor disregarded it. They do have some strange
rules, the last one I talked to said they disregard the thickness of
wood if you've boarded your loft!

The last surveyor we had used a laptop and his program had drop-down
options. If what you had was not on the drop-down then tough he could
not enter it and did not feel inclined to add his own notes. In my
case I had a combination of 100mm of Rockwell and 100mm of Celotex
plus boards. All he could do was enter the physical thickness so it
went in as 200mm of 'insulation' which assumed, in the calcs, to be
as efficient as fibreglass and not the approximate effectiveness of
300mm. My complaints fell on deaf ears but one house viewer was so
impressed he bought the house - I am sure there were other reasons too

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sm_jamieson writes:
On Saturday, December 7, 2013 5:46:49 PM UTC, Big Les Wade wrote:
When I put this forward in my building plans the local authority
building control people wouldn't accept it, on the grounds that
different layers of materials with different insulation properties would
cause condensation.

I guess if there was wool under celotex and no vapour barrier, you could get condensation on the underside of the celotex, and if wool gets wet it loses its insulation properties, but this would then be no worse than just the celotex.
My BCO was OK with rockwool above celotex in a roof.
In a loft with just wool, moisture can percolate through the wool and into the air above.
Simon.

Yes, if you do this, the wool must be on the cold side, and the
celotex on the warm side. Otherwise, you will eventually get
condensation at the boundary. The more serious problem is that
this will make any timber go rotten.

--
Andrew Gabriel