Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default It never rains but it pours - malicious inanimate objects

I am currently in the middle of re-doing our bathroom. Tomorrow the bath
and its waste pipe are due to come out. This morning I was having a
shower, only for my wife to shout that water was coming through the
ceiling. Normally I'd have stopped showering and investigated, but my
current contract is ending and I was due at an interview for another
company at 08:00, so had no choice but to finish off.

Got back at lunchtime to find a chunk of the hall ceiling on the floor
and chunks of plasterboard falling off every few minutes.

After 18 years in the house, a joint in the middle of the waste pipe
that has been there longer than that has slipped off the day before it
was due to be ripped out.

I presume it was disturbed by the other work - or maybe it was a
pre-emptive strike.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 29 November 2013 23:02 SteveW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I am currently in the middle of re-doing our bathroom. Tomorrow the bath
and its waste pipe are due to come out. This morning I was having a
shower, only for my wife to shout that water was coming through the
ceiling. Normally I'd have stopped showering and investigated, but my
current contract is ending and I was due at an interview for another
company at 08:00, so had no choice but to finish off.

Got back at lunchtime to find a chunk of the hall ceiling on the floor
and chunks of plasterboard falling off every few minutes.

After 18 years in the house, a joint in the middle of the waste pipe
that has been there longer than that has slipped off the day before it
was due to be ripped out.

I presume it was disturbed by the other work - or maybe it was a
pre-emptive strike.

SteveW

Oh man - what a bitch!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
[...]

My mother referred to this phenomena as *the animosity of inanimate
objects*

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2013 09:12, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes
[...]

Sounds like it had always been an acccident waiting to happen due to the
incompetence of a human. I'm with the inanimate objects on this one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And the orrible smell of wet plasterboard lasts for months...
I had this with a tap in the loft that a plumber turned off when changing
the cylinder, and obviously it had dripped for a month or so slowly soaking
into the bedroom ceiling until one day, flump, that is the sound it made as
it kind of came down....

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"SteveW" wrote in message
I am currently in the middle of re-doing our bathroom. Tomorrow the bath
and its waste pipe are due to come out. This morning I was having a shower,
only for my wife to shout that water was coming through the ceiling.
Normally I'd have stopped showering and investigated, but my current
contract is ending and I was due at an interview for another company at
08:00, so had no choice but to finish off.

Got back at lunchtime to find a chunk of the hall ceiling on the floor and
chunks of plasterboard falling off every few minutes.

After 18 years in the house, a joint in the middle of the waste pipe that
has been there longer than that has slipped off the day before it was due
to be ripped out.

I presume it was disturbed by the other work - or maybe it was a
pre-emptive strike.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2013 09:25, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

I've found a few booby traps over the years.

This one is where they have run the waste from the bath to outside, but
tee-d in a connection from the washbasin - where the push-fit tee was
hanging from the bottom of a 45° pipe, with no other support for the tee
or the pipe! Of course all this was hidden under the floor, under the bath.

A previous one, discovered when there was some work on the water mains
and some grit stuck the ball-cock slightly open, was that when fitting
the overflow to the header tank, they'd changed their minds after
drilling a small hole through the tank (looks like they'd used a high
speed wood drill, but stopped when only the tip had gone through) - of
course they'd not sealed off the hole and then had fitted the overflow
on the other side and three inches higher! I found that one, when
getting up at 04:00 for a business trip, I squelched across the landing.

I also found the obligatory nail through the lead gas pipe and another
gas pipe turning through 180° and almost flat at the top of the curve.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2013 19:07, SteveW wrote:
[...]

The joys of the property bubble! I don't know how the buggers sleep at
night.
My son's electrician drilled through the gas pipe last week, and missed
the mains water supply by half an inch. Neither was anywhere near where
you'd expect them to be. Needless to say the cables were running
diagonally across the kitchen wall, and all this behind a posh Smeg
cooker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:29:37 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Smeg ? Posh? Think not. SWMBO had Smeg dishwasher and larder fridge fitted a few years back. Overpriced rubbish, even though I got it wholesale. Am now getting ear bent for Miele